Half Marathon Energy

Options
hey! I am running my first half marathon in 3.5 weeks (4 long runs left before race day) and I was hoping some of you would have suggestions on fueling during the race. I have read plenty of articles about energy gels/chews/supplements for during the race but I'm still unsure which are the best options. Any advice on which energy supplements you all have used with success and when/how often to take them during the run? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really need anything for a half, but if you want something, Its all about personal preference. I like Powergel because they are more liquidy than Gus, and I have problems chewing while running (so shot blocks or beans are out). I know that I like citrus flavors and not chocolate/caramel/coffee ones. Some people like caffeine, some don't.

Practice with some on your next long run and see how it goes. The last thing you want to do is try something new on race and and find out your stomach hates it.

http://www.irunfar.com/2008/12/energy-gel-comparison.html
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I did a 5 hour energy before and peanut butter m&m's during.

I'm not totally sure a half really requires a very complex fueling strategy unless you are super skinny or something.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    whatever you normally eat before a run of that distance. You don't want to change it up on game day.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Not to scare anyone. But a guy I used to work with who was a life longer runner, great shape, 32 years old, died of heart failure a couple hundred yards from the finish of a half marathon i Raleigh NC. Heat was not a factor. It was a cool day at the start.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not to scare anyone. But a guy I used to work with who was a life longer runner, great shape, 32 years old, died of heart failure a couple hundred yards from the finish of a half marathon i Raleigh NC. Heat was not a factor. It was a cool day at the start.

hEE3C9443
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

Stop. He obviously was NOT in great shape (as in, something was defective) if he died of heart failure. People die driving cars, too. Ids you posting about that.

Also lots of people die in the shower. BUT I DON'T MEAN TO ALARM ANYONE.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    How long (time and distance) are your long runs, and what (if anything) have you been doing for energy during those runs?

If you have never used the gels or anything like that and your long runs are over 8 miles or over an hour long, I wouldn't think you need to worry gels and such for your half. I also agree that you shouldn't introduce something like that this far into the training and so close to the race.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Use your remaining long runs to try out what works for you - are you planning to drink any water en route? Try that out. For an energy boost, I cary a few jelly beans, and will chew on those about 2/3 way through a distance run. But dont be doing anything on the day of the run that you havent done in training.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I got hit by a car while on a bike in May and I went back to working out in July and when I first started running again I could only go 20 minutes per mile. It just kind of happened that because I was running so slow I started one mile.... two miles.... three miles without food. Then as the miles increased and got quicker (9.4X miles at 11:4X this past week) my body got used to using its own fat for fuel and I don't fuel up during the run, and sometimes not even before. There's people that go 20+ miles without fueling during. Takes a LOT of time of slow running increasing miles slowly but it does happen. With me it just happened to coincide with my accident recovery.

tl;dr You really don't need as much fuel as you think you do.

P.S. I'm going to try an unfueled Half Marathon in October, my first (unfueled, not Half).
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I take a water bottle with a sports drink (slightly diluted as otherwise I find it too sweet). I usually take a swig or 2 every 3 miles from the half way point so rarely finish the bottle and given in total teh bottle is just under 200 cals I'm sure its psychological but also saves me stopping at water stations. I've done this for my last 2 HMs (only done 3 so far!) and its worked for me (new PB every time but this is more down to my training & weight loss than the fuelling!). Bottom line is for a HM I don't think you need much extra.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options

Not to scare anyone, But 100% of people who breathe oxygen die.

:grumble:
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are going into the race fully fueled at the start - by that I mean you want to be eating well (no calorie deficit) for 2 to 3 days before the race, with the majority of calories coming from carbohydrates.

On the morning of the race, a good breakfast 3 hours before start time, say porridge and toast is a good idea. Be sure you don't try something new on race day though. Practice this breakfast on the days of your long training runs to make sure it agrees with you.

If you follow the above you won't need energy on race day, you'll have enough in the tank already, but by all means take some if it will give you a confidence boost. Your first half can be nerve-racking if (like me) you take up running when you're a bit older and heavier, so anything that sets you at ease has value.

Again be sure to practice with your fuel of choice ahead of time.

My preference would be to take a handful of jelly babies (is that just a UK product?) and pop one every couple of kms after say, the first 5k. They keep the mouth moist, taste great, give you some energy and are easy to consume. Alternately an SIS Gel at the 60 minute mark.

Grab a bit of water at each fuel station, you won't really need too much if you are well hydrated before the start.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

It happens. My friends father died aged 63 from a heart condition he never knew he had and which certainly didn't hold him back. He ran pretty much every day of his adult life, was a prolific racer (over 200 marathons, 2hr 19m best) and held the world record for 100 miles and 50 miles. The heart condition would have taken him whether he ran or not. His family believe it would have taken him earlier had he not been life-long fit.

We can't predict these things so we shouldn't let them hold us back.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't need to fuel during a half, but if you plan on doing so you should start trying out different things (sports drink, gels, blocks, energy bars, granola bars, real food, etc) to figure out what will work for you and isn't going to make you sick. Definitely don't try to eat something during the race for the first time. Runner's World has a bunch of articles on when and what to eat, if you haven't checked there already.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options

awesome.... i need to run more to prove my theory that it will kill you
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

My Grandfather died of a heart attack at the dinner table. My take from that is either not to sit at tables, or not to eat...

Anyway, with respect to the original question, as far as fuelling is concerned I've found that for HM distance as long as I eat a decent meal the night before, and a decent breakfast; porridge, fruit, then I don't need more than electrolyte/ water on the move. I do, however, carry three gels in case I feel the need. I can tell about half an hour in if I'm going to need them.

What I've identified, for me, is that as my endurance has improved my feeding and drinking needs have reduced significantly.