Hummus....Help!

Options
What is your favorite kind, and what do you dip, spread or smear?
How many calories is it?

Replies

• lorijupiter3
    lorijupiter3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm, hot pitta bread with Nandos Peri Peri spice. Yuuummmmmmmmm. :D
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sabras Supremely Spicy and I'm a dipper.
  • chamuel
    Options
    Hmm....had some today for lunch - blob on side of plate, dip in carrots, everything else too high in calories (unless you have celery but thats stringy!!)

Or you could spread in a sandwich with bit of salad - yum!!!
  • Chazz0r
    Chazz0r Posts: 35
    Options
    Jalapeño houmous with celery sticks! Yum!
  • Shadea
    Shadea Posts: 8
    Options
    I use Epicure Hummus dip mix and add it to a can of chickpeas. Of course if you're not in Canada, that doesn't help you much cause it's only available here. I usually dip but was watching Village on a Diet last night and the chef suggested it instead of mayo or miracle whip. I'm going to try it on my next sandwich.
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    I make homemade with chick peas and olive oil (in moderation) and spice it how I like it :) I add fresh garlic or onion. Sometime red pepper. Its great with fresh veggies like carrots or used on a sandwich instead of mayo. I also use it as a pizza sauce when making pita pizzas! You can do soo much with and they have great ideas in the "Biggest Loser" cookbook. Hope that helps! :happy:
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I make my own hummus and my favs are garlic and jalapeno, and I eat it with just about anything. Put in on sandwiches, wraps, salads, drip for veggies, baked torillas, crackers.

It's so good for you (well mine is since i know what I'm putting in it) and so so yummy!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I love Sabra Supremely Spicy too. It is so good. Dip with either veggies or baked pita chips, yum. The calorie count is in the data base. I like Sabra the bast, other seem to have an after taste to me.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I like the roasted garlic flavor...

I use it on wheat thins, pretzels, veggies...
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Cedar's roasted red pepper. I spead it on toast or dip veggies in it
  • ang_lovinlife
    ang_lovinlife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dipper -- Roasted Pepper... on pita bread -- warm or cold - YUM!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm a dipper and spreader

I prefer the Fantastic Foods dry mix because I can omit the olive oil that is present in most commercial off-the shelf brands, and because I can customize the thickness for the application

I'll use it by itself instead of peanut butter as a sandwich filling (mixed on the dry side), and also use in typical meat-and-cheese-type sandwiches instead of mayonnaise (mixed on the wetter side).

As for add-ins, I like to go wild! I've tried: chopped up roasted red peppers from a jar; chopped up kalamata olives (the stronger, the better!); crushed garlic; cajun spice mix; curry or masala spice mix; garlic & ginger paste with a dash of soy sauce (for an Asian flair!); chopped jalapeno or serrano peppers; or a couple of tbsp of canned enchilada sauce grocery store salsa (red or green) straight from the jar.
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use it on veggies, pita chips or triscuits. LOVE it
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love all of the Tribe flavors. That is what we carry where I live. There is roasted garlic, original and forty spices oh and roasted red pepper. I love them all.

They are 50 calories for 2 TBS.

I eat it with carrots, celery, pita bread, toasted pita bread, bagel, cucumber.

I LOVE HUMMUS! I had some today in fact.

You can also make your own in a food processor with chick peas. You can find recipes online.
  • gustogurl
    gustogurl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a WONDERFUL homemade recipe, which is alot healthier that the store bought kind. You don' t use as much tahini which cuts down on lots of fat.....I use hummus as a substitute for mayo on sandwiches, in wraps it is the only sauce you need (no mayo or mustard) is also excellent as a dip for veggies, nacho's and pita wedges. Here is the recipe....

1 (19ox/540ml) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup light sour cream
    2 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp grated lemon zest
    1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
    1/2 tsp each salt and granulated sugar
    1/4 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander

Put all in a food processor and whirl until smooth

Makes 2 cups

Per serving (1/4 cup):
    104 calories
    3g total fat
    0.4 g saturated fat
    4 g protein
    16 g carbs
    3.1 g fiber
    1 mg cholesterol
    229 mg sodium
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    hummus "who-moose" (but kind of like make a hacking sound for the first syllable) is so healthy! i love it! it's calorific though so budget :) I think somewhere between 100-200 calories per 2 tbsp depending on brand. try it with olive oil drizzled on top and toasted pine nuts topped with a sprinkle of paprika and fresh minced parsley. make sure you toast the pita whole so it puffs up and then rip in half, stuff with hummus, add salad and voila! delish!!

Also good with labneh and zatar.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    shoot almost forgot! lemon juice, quick sqeeze!
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    I made cucumber hummus this weekend, so yummy! I eat it with pita bread and all kinds of different veggies.
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Make my own with a ton of garlic! Its really easy.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    hummus "who-moose" (but kind of like make a hacking sound for the first syllable) is so healthy! i love it! it's calorific though so budget :) I think somewhere between 100-200 calories per 2 tbsp depending on brand. try it with olive oil drizzled on top and toasted pine nuts topped with a sprinkle of paprika and fresh minced parsley. make sure you toast the pita whole so it puffs up and then rip in half, stuff with hummus, add salad and voila! delish!!

Also good with labneh and zatar.
    Really?! What brand are you using? Every one I have looked at/ tried has been 40-70 calories for 2 tbs.