beginning biker - what do i need to know?

Options
I just recently tore my meniscus and the doctor told me to stick to bikes and elliptical from here on out. I own a bike, but that is about all I know.
What tips, sites/resources, or workout plans could you offer to a newbie who wants to bike to lose weight and get fit? I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks!

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I just recently tore my meniscus and the doctor told me to stick to bikes and elliptical from here on out. I own a bike, but that is about all I know.
    What tips, sites/resources, or workout plans could you offer to a newbie who wants to bike to lose weight and get fit? I would really appreciate any help.
    Thanks!

Start slowly by riding on easy terrain (the flatter, the better), to gently spin and build up the leg muscles in the leg agian. The muscles atrophy pretty quickly following a meniscus tear - hence the low impract exercise recommendation by the doctor. It will take about 6 months to a year to return to full leg strength - at least it did for both of my knees which had torn meniscus and following surgery. I was skiing on one 4 weeks later, and the other I tore years later and it took longer as I had to wait a couple of months for surgery.

Bike slowly and use your knee as a guide in terms of how far, and hard you can go. You may have to ice, rest, and recover the knee between sessions in the early going. The first few weeks will be a lot of adaptiation of you getting used to riding a bike. This could be 15 minute, 30 minute rides, and eventually working up to longer rides as your body adapts (and your injured knee as well). If you want to lose weight through cycling, start in the kitchen first to make sure you are eating at a deficit. Then you can use the low impact cardio exercise of cycling to burn some calories, but be careful not to eat back all of the calroies that you burn on a bike. Maintain a deficit.

Type in Google rehab for a torn meniscus to see the thousands of hits. Ditto on using a bike to lose weight. You'll get thousands, and thousands of hits/links to read about it.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you're biking outside, WEAR YOUR DAMN HELMET.

Also, learn the traffic laws and realize that they apply to you too.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Make sure your bike fits. Not just saddle height but that your knees are in the right positions over the pedals and handlebars/top tube length is correct. The more comfortable you are on the bike the more likely you are to ride and enjoy it.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Don't assume that one of those bikes that has you sitting straight up is going to be more comfortable.. They're not.

Don't assume that just because you're fat, if you're fat, I don't even know if you're fat but if you are..... don't assume that you need a big wide padded saddle. I am 235 pounds with a LOT of that weight in my butt...and a normal saddle fits me well. The size of your seat has nothing to so with the size of your SEAT.

The first two weeks will feel like your *kitten* is on FIRE. it WILL go away. You won't believe me now.. BUT I PROMISE YOU it will.

Find a bike shop that treats you well and that you trust. They helped me get the right fit for my bike and always helpful with ordering specialty gear in my size when nothing in the store would fit.
  • croxi87
    Options
    buy padded cycling shorts! I mocked them for a long time but htey are a god send :)
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Make sure your bike fits. Not just saddle height but that your knees are in the right positions over the pedals and handlebars/top tube length is correct. The more comfortable you are on the bike the more likely you are to ride and enjoy it.

^^^This. I just bought a bike that really, really fits. The difference is amazing.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Your *kitten* is going to hurt for the first couple weeks.

There is an actual muscle we call it your "sit-bone" that needs time to build up.

Don't buy one of those big *kitten* cushioned seats either. They are worse, and will kill your back.

Have fun!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Proper fit is super important, especially if you already have a knee injury.
    Read up on safety guidelines.
    Ride with traffic.
    Try different style bikes, road, flat bar, etc. different tires make a difference.
    Expect as you ride more your bike preference may change.
    Give it 6-8 weeks to ride if you really like/dislike ride.
    Wear helmet and glasses, these pesky bugs find your eyeball everytime!.
    Don't ride too close to the edge of the road, lots of sand and debree.
    Make yourself noticeable on the road, think bright.
    Enjoy, you are becoming a cyclist!
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First of all, I strongly suggest that you get to know your local bike shop and have them check out your bike, and also measure you for it.

Those people want everyone to love cycling (by the way, "biking" is often used to refer to motorcycling, "cycling" is bicycling ... jargon to avoid looking like the noob which I was ... uhhh, ... I mean, my friend was). They will typically be honest with you about what you need, whether your bike is up for it, sizing, etc..

Wear your helmet. It might seem silly, but it really can save your life. I have a friend (this time, really a friend) who was recently hit by a car door because someone didn't look before opening. He has a scratched up face, but walked away because his helmet took the hit. He had to replace the helmet, but he's okay with a couple of stitches.

Check, or have the bike shop check, your reflectors and consider investing in a set of lights. I use my red tail light and headlight even during the day, just because tree cover makes roads dark at times. Don't ride at night until you're good and comfortable with it, but being visible is a good thing.

Look at some real cycling blogs or sites. There's a lot of good information out there.

Some pointers, which I think apply in all jurisdictions in the US:

- Bikes are vehicles. They obey traffic laws. That means be on the right side of the road. Not the left. Not the sidewalk. Not the crosswalk. Stop at red lights, stop signs, etc..

- You are allowed to use the lane. If the far right side of the lane is unsafe, move safely to where you need to be. Avoid grates, broken glass, the "door zone," etc. as you need to. But don't be obnoxious.

- A person on a bicycle is not a pedestrian. Stay out of sidewalks and crosswalks unless you first dismount and are walking. Don't be vague, and don't think that it's okay to switch between vehicle and pedestrian rules casually. It's really simple. If you're riding, you're a vehicle. If you're walking, you're a pedestrian. Never ride onto a sidewalk to avoid red lights or whatnot. It's not safe and makes the cycling community look bad. (One blog advised bike commuters: "You know how you're driving and you say, 'Those damn cyclists!' sometimes? Don't do those things."

- Your backside and legs will be uncomfortable for the first few rides. Don't worry about it. It'll pass, I promise.

- You don't have to buy special cycling clothes, but I do have one pair of shorts which I use about half of the time. It is nice. But those aren't cheap, and don't have to be a barrier to entry. A good saddle, though, is pretty much vital. The one that came on your bike might well be the one you need, but checking it out is a really good idea if you want to have a good time.

- Don't compare yourself to people who have been riding for years. Or who own fancy bikes. I started riding on a mountain bike because it was what I could afford. I was really frustrated that I couldn't keep pace with people on road bikes who had been riding for a long time. A couple of realizations later, I didn't quit riding. And eventually bought a road bike (eventually = after five years. Don't worry if it takes a while.).

- Be safe. Dress to be visible.

- Be part of a community, either of beginners or who welcomes beginners. Your local bike shop knows whom to contact. There's probably a bulletin board with notices on it. I never ride in a group, but I talk to other people. I have fun with MapMyRide, just using a Garmin watch. Not necessary, but good things to make it really enjoyable and get ongoing advice, tips,etc..

- Carry water. A bottle cage on the frame is great. If you don't have one, do something. I've suddenly realized that an hour went by and I'm nowhere near home when doing fun summer rides.

- Mind your routine maintenance. If your brakes seem off, check them. Check your tire pressure regularly. You might not believe the difference between fully-inflated and almost-inflated tires. Know your bike (tube size, valve type, etc.). The shop people will tell you everything you need to know, really.

- Have fun. While there's kind of a lot here, it's not work. Cycling is tons of fun and my favorite way to work out. I'm not the king of the road, but I'm not bad. And I want you to enjoy it, too. That will keep you riding.

- Things like speedometers are cool, but not necessary. And it might be best to wait until you're meeting some goals. If an average speed of 6 mph is going to frustrate you, don't get one until you're doing better than that. It's up to you.

- If you can make cycling part of getting things done -- commuting, running errands, etc. -- it's great. That makes it even more permanent than using it as a workout. Bike commuting is one of the really-successful weight-loss strategies.

Feel free to send my a friend request here or on Map My Ride. PM me if you have any other questions. I was a beginner not that long ago and made just about every mistake, so I can help navigate them.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Lots of good advice already I just want to point out a couple of resources I use -

http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php - Especially the Clydesdale / Athena forum

and more locally:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    you are all awesome! Thank you so much for all of the advice and tips!!!
  • lanabus
    Options
    Wow, I was just wondering about the same thing. Glad I checked out this thread. Thanks for the great advice!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Wear the helmet.

Some dumbass kid threw a rock in my spokes and I flipped off the bike, landing my head on the concrete, unconscious in the road. Some guy was out watering his lawn and heard my head hit from several houses away, over the sound of the water. He dragged me onto the tree lawn.

Massive concussions, front and back. Cracked my skull quite a bit. The small cuts I received scarred terribly and weirdly because my brain wasn't functioning properly, so nothing worked right. I slept and vomited for a couple days. I lost a couple days of memory. I awoke worse than depressed - just completely apathetic. From the depths of my soul, I couldn't have cared about anything if I tried. There was no emotion AT ALL for days.

After about a week, they released me. They said when I was complaining about food and saying that I wanted to go home, they knew I was bouncing back and while they'd like me to stay a couple more days, going home might do me some good. I had to see the neurologist daily for a week, then every month for six months and every year for life.

The doctors said that nobody has a brain injury like I had and doesn't have issues, but because of the areas damaged, they had no idea what would get better and worse.

It left me with balance issues for life and I wet the bed for a couple years. I still have bladder issues, but no bed wetting (yay.). My fingers jump around on their own sometimes and other muscles twitch - kind of like everyone else, but a little different. They say I'm very lucky. :)

Due to the lack of balance, I can't ride bikes. I can physically do it, but the funkiness of what happens with my brain - it just isn't worth the pleasure of riding. Kind of like a runner trying to run in the water - it's just not the same.

WEAR THE HELMET. It makes you look bad, but so does lying unconscious in the street. Also, dead is not a good look for anyone!!
  • CoachChris78
    CoachChris78 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As a non cyclist but a biker who has to share bus lanes with cyclists I would say make appropriate observations.

As a bike we learn what is called a 'life saver' this is an observation over your shoulder before you move. I have seen so many cyclists change their position in the lane without making that observation.

If you do it, it will save your life.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Add another "Wear a helmet" post from me. Only took getting knocked off my bike twice to realize I should probably wear one.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    WKenL hit most of the big points.

A few more - recon your routes. There is no need to put yourself at risk because you chose to ride a busy, narrow road with a high speed limit. Learn the traffic patterns where you want to ride to reduce the risk others pose to you.

Find a local bike shop or two and make friends with them. Every shop near me offers group rides and basic bike care classes. They are great to find new routes and people to ride with.

Visibility isn't just clothing. Invest the few dollars and get a set of good, bright lights for the front and rear of your bike. A blinking red light catches the eye of oncoming motorists long before they're on your back wheel.

Leave your headphones at home when riding. Wind noise makes hearing your surroundings difficult ... adding music makes it impossible.

If you ride on country roads, expect animals. Squirrels usually scamper out of the way, dogs might chase and bark at you, cattle just stand there. Hitting any of them with a bike results in a bad day for you.

Carry a spare tube, necessary tools, and know how to replace it. This isn't the Tour de France and we don't have dedicated team cars following us around on every ride. When you get a flat while away from the house there are two options ... call and hope somebody can come get you or do the roadside fix and ride home.

Find a lid you can live with and wear it every ride. I ride with neon yellow helmet ... it's one more point of contrast so I'm as visible as possible when on the road.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't be lazy, inflate your tires. It makes riding a bike so much more comfortable and fun.

Yes on the helmet and having someone to tell you whether your bike fits or not. Important if you start doing longer distances.

Enjoy!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    People above have hit all the high points, but I want to stress again the bike fit. It's not only a comfort issue, but you can completely wreck your knees if the bike is the wrong size or set up incorrectly for you. Have a good fitter do at least a basic fit for you and verify that your pelvis is placed correctly on your seat and in relation to your cranks/pedals

As someone with a knee issue, I suggest your start training yourself from the beginning to have correct pedaling form. At this stage of the game what that really means is that your knee should track straight up, and straight back down as you pedal. You may find that you have some side-to-side movement in your knees as you pedal, especially as you get tired or if your bike fit isn't right. Try to eliminate that now. The easiest thing is to just pay attention to your pedaling for a short period during rides. It doesn't have to be a prolonged, hard focus. Just every so often look and feel what your knees are doing and correct it if they are wobbling.

Build a relationship with a bike shop. Resist the urge to buy stuff off the Internet because it's cheaper. If you find a good shop and go to them for your needs, they will take care of you. Things like being able to walk in and have them drop what they are doing to adjust something on your bike or change a flat for you are invaluable at times. If a good shop knows you're a loyal customer, they'll do a lot to keep you happy.

Wear a helmet! Even if you don't think you need to, wear it. You never know.

Good luck! Feel free to friend me or ask any questions.
  • __Bad_Leroy
    Options
    Just tagging.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Wearing a helmet is a good idea—though I will point out that in the Netherlands and France, very few cyclists wear a helmet unless they are going fast on racing bikes.

It's even more important, though, to learn how to avoid common situations in which your helmet would be useful. For that, I strongly recommend reading John S. Allen's pamphlet "Bicycling Street Smarts," which he has kindly made available free online at:
    http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/

Cycling is not that dangerous as long as you're aware of your surroundings and act appropriately and predictably. It's a lot of fun, too! From dusk to dawn, use a red taillight, a headlight that is powerful enough to illuminate the road where you're going, and reflective garb (even bright yellow clothing isn't that easy to see at night).

On bike fit, this article by Peter J. White is hard to beat:
    http://peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

For general bicycle technical information/Internet time-wasting, try the late, great Sheldon Brown's bicycle pages:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/beginners.html