any road cyclists?

Options
13»

Replies

• mandez19
    Options
    I ride on the road when the trails are muddy. Does that count?

Why would you avoid the mud? That's when you have the most fun!

Damages the trails.

Do you walk on trails with high heels or something?

Walking in heels would cause less damage than slipping around on knobby tires in the mud. Respect the trails.

Just bike on the road or paved path if you don't like trails with bumps and ruts.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly a road cyclist (Trek FX 7.3 WSD) but also own a Caloi beach cruiser for the nearby shoreline. I try to ride at least 50 miles per month. I commute to work once a week, run local errands, and just get out and ride for the hell of it as often as possible. Not as often as I'd like though! I'm a member of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy and one of my life goals is to ride every R2T route in the state of Florida. I'm hitting one next week in fact, the East Central Regional Rail Trail. Feel free to send me a friend request. I like having cycling pals! :smile:
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I have bike envy and I have STORAGE envy. I live in NYC and feel lucky to have room to hang one bike in my apartment--even that is a luxury here--but when I read people saying they have 3 or 4 bikes, I really want a garage.

Gotta have the garage, or other space, for sure. We actually have 9 bikes at home right now with another on the way. 4 for me (plus the one on the way), 3 for the wife, and 2 for the daughter. A quarter of the garage plus part of the "Man Cave" behind the garage is devoted to either bike storage or bike training.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I just bought a road bike, oh so nice. I've been mtn biking for years, logging roads, trails, that's pretty much where I live. With road biking I have to put the bike on the car and drive to pavement. So that's a whole new experience, I'm constantly on the lookout for good pavement now. My new bike isn't top of the line or anything, a Trek Lexa, nice and small. My other ride is a Giant trancex3. I keep them in the downstairs bathroom, drives my husband crazy, "How many do you need?", he asks. "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand", is my answer.:laugh:
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yep, another road cyclist here. I also ride trails on my mountain bike and cyclocross bike as well. In fact, I just love cycling.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No, I hate it and think it's the worst thing on the planet. I have no idea why I continually go on these long rides....

Just kidding...I love it! :)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Triathlete checking in! :)

I started commuting to work (18 miles round trip) 7 years ago - on my 15 year old Huffy mountain bike that I dug out of my parents' basement. Promised myself that if I stuck with it, I'd get a "real" bike. :laugh:

I commuted 3 or so days a week took me almost an hour to go 9 miles. But I stuck with it, and got myself a brand spanking new Marin Larkspur commuter bike - all decked out with fenders and a rack and everything. :tongue: I commuted with her nearly every day from April thru October for the next 2 years.

Then I heard about a new race called the Iron Girl in 2009....had a couple of friends who did it. I decided I wanted to give it a "tri" - so I signed up for the 2010 race and started training for that...we also moved in Nov 09, so my commute went from 18 miles round trip to 25....unfortunately, that meant my commuting went down to only 1-2 days a week. Also did the Iron Girl in 2011 and 2012.

In 2013, I decided to "get serious" about triathlon...had the commuter gear taken off my hybrid, got a more road like saddle, added bar ends. Did 2 tris that summer and trained my butt off (literally - I lost 35 pounds last year), but only commuted a couple of times in the spring.

Then in Aug last year, my office moved. Not only would my commute now be 30+ miles round trip (which is totally not bad at all in and of itself), but no matter what route I mapped out, I would have to go through a section of town that would most likely get me mugged or raped or killed. I decided it would be best to drive the cage to work so I could stay on the highways, and leave the biking to before or after work time.

Started training for my races this year (3 tris, including my first Olympic distance), and after a group ride hosted by my favorite local bike shop, I started drooling over a road bike. After much deliberation, I pulled the trigger and got a 2014 Specialized Ruby Sport. I LOVE her! :heart: She is MAD fast! :bigsmile:

I pulled HUGE PRs for the two tris that I did last year...and even biked the insane local IM70.3 56 mile course for fun (11 miles of pure incline...then a slight rest before you hit "the wall"). :tongue: This weekend, I am doing a 62 mile charity ride....and as of yesterday, I am officially registered for my first Ironman 70.3. :drinker:

ETA - my rides are a minimum of 20 miles....ride 30 miles regularly...and do 50+ mile rides roughly every other weekend (I'll only go that far with at least one other person).
  • Hornsby
    Options
    To the OP, or anyone else....

There is a Strava MFP club if you are interested in joining...

http://www.strava.com/clubs/gs-myfitnesspal
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Just request to join. Damn y'all ride a lot more than me.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I ride on the road when the trails are muddy. Does that count?

Why would you avoid the mud? That's when you have the most fun!

Damages the trails.

Do you walk on trails with high heels or something?

Walking in heels would cause less damage than slipping around on knobby tires in the mud. Respect the trails.

Just bike on the road or paved path if you don't like trails with bumps and ruts.

Good gravy. It's about preserving the trails and environment, not avoiding bumps and ruts.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Just request to join. Damn y'all ride a lot more than me.

Who are you on there? I will follow. You can PM if you would like :)
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Love road riding and my bike I ride around 100 miles a week and love to climb the mountains.
    Oh and strava rocks if it's not on strava it didn't happen ????
  • joquiroz
    joquiroz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There sure are a lot of us!
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yup! I'm one of those crazies who took to biking like a fish in water. Have completed 3 centuries(+) days in the last five weeks. Generally do about 15 to 20 miles on a normal day, around our loads (truck driver and carry my Trek Domane 3.0 with me on the trailer).

Working up to our big trip in March 2016, when hubby and I will go from Washington to Maine in a 3.5 month trip. Super excited, can't wait. It is our first cross country, so we are doing a supported ride.
  • mtlprs
    mtlprs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Another Roadie here. Due to my work schedule and a toddler at home, I can only ride twice a week right now. Currently have a 2013 Wilier Izoard XP with full Ultegra 6700 (I know blasphemy on an Italian bike) with a set of Williams S30’s (and a powtap hub) on it. If I can achieve my goal weight and (maintain it), I will be picking up a De Rosa Nuovo Classico frame and build it up with the Campy Record Group.

While I do not have a bike named George, George Hincapie once lapped me (and the entire field) in a criterium back when I raced in the Junior Division. Every since that race it has all be downhill!

Ultegra is not blasphemy on an Italian bike!!! Shimano is far better then Campy as far as gruppos go, Now Campy wheels, wow!!!!lol
  • jameshess74
    Options
    I bought a cheap mountain bike in June and worked up to 10 miles a day. Just bought a much better street bike and going 60+ miles a week now.

If you want a super-efficient workout(timewise) get a mountain bike and hit the grass. If you want to go for longer rides and be able to relax and just enjoy the ride, get a street bike.

Both bikes have their advantages but I like being able to take on hills and fly on the straights on my street bike and not feel like hell afterwards. :happy:
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! Request sent.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't do formal training or races, or even have an expensive bike, but I do ride my road bike 14 miles round trip to work every day! I love it; transportation and exercise at the same time. I'd spend about 40 minutes on the road if I were driving, and it takes me about 60 minutes a day to bike it. That's an entire hour of exercise with only an extra 20 minutes of time spent! I can't believe more people don't do it.

So you ride 2 hours a day?
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    <<After having 3 bikes stolen in the last 15 years, I've sworn never to spend over $300 on a new bike, and still enjoy the sport despite suffering from the requisite amounts of bike envy.>>

I have bike envy and I have STORAGE envy. I live in NYC and feel lucky to have room to hang one bike in my apartment--even that is a luxury here--but when I read people saying they have 3 or 4 bikes, I really want a garage.

Living in NYC sounds sad if your a biker. :(

Bicycling magazine just named New York the best biking city, mostly for good reason. We are legion! But the space issue is a drag. For years I kept my bike in a communal bike room in my building's basement. Last year we were lucky to have the opportunity to gut-renovate a loft. Our brilliant (cyclist) architects designed fantastic storage for our rides. I've ridden almost every day since we moved in---it makes a big difference not to have to go down to the basement and get my bike.

Cool nice to hear this.
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    road and mtb here. More mtb as of late than road though