Insoles for running shoes

I have a question, I just went to a running store because I needed to buy new shoes and I got the whole test where you run on the treadmill and tell you what is wrong and what is right.

I have been having knee pain and my heels have been hurting too.

They suggested I get foot balance insoles, they made some for me and I try them on with my shoes. I must say I felt the difference in my heels for sure.

Do you guys use insoles?

Replies

• AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    I work at a running specialty store and we recommend them often for people who overpronate. It keeps alignment a lot better than just wearing structured, stabilizing shoes (although that helps). Insoles help a host of problems. I wear them and love them. Without them, I have a lot of ankle pain. We sell Superfeet, but I'm sure other brands are just as good.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    I tried them and then I switched shoe brands, and didn't need them. What matters is that your pain is gone! Happy running!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    I have paid $300 twice in my life for insoles, done by two podiatrists, and they didnt do squat. I bought my first pair of walk fit orthotics for $20 and I've never looked back. I can't function without them. It took me two weeks to get accustomed to them - its like walking on bricks, but an hour a day till I got accustomed to them, I would not be without them. So to answer your question - yes I wear insoles!!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    I tried them and then I switched shoe brands, and didn't need them. What matters is that your pain is gone! Happy running!

what brand of shoe, do you mind sharing
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    I walk, did the treadmill videotaping shoe fitting process and the store uses Superfeet so got them (as well as the sneakers they fit me for) as one foot overpronates a bit. Didn't have pain sending me to the shop but "runners' toes" from the sneakers I was wearing before.
  • gdrenzek
    gdrenzek Posts: 2 Member
    I use Dr Scholls active. They are just enough to make a difference. Sometimes the running stores are about selling and not you. A physiotherapist might be able to give you reliable info.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Yes, I got mine made by the podiatrist (molded specifically for my feet) ... They were covered by insurance, too ... I have high arches and really need the support, the is a HUGE difference!
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    To me this sounds more like you've got a problem with running form, not with shoes. Check your running form- if you're heel striking, you need to fix that and move to a forefoot strike. Land on the balls of your feet and then cushion your "fall" so that your heel comes down lightly to the ground then recoils to push off again. You should not be hitting _heel first_ then rocking to your toe (like in a walking stride). This tends to cause heel and knee pain because you are putting a lot of force into the joints then as opposed to using your arch to cushion the blow. Also make sure you're landing underneath your body, not taking long strides. For speed get faster foot turnover instead of longer strides- longer strides are more inefficient and again, put more force where you don't want it.

If you want to see if it's your form or your shoes, find a nice good area of grass free from debris, take your shoes off and run on it. If you've got bad running form (Heel striking, over extending, etc.) you'll quickly find out because it will HURT. You have no cushion barefoot and landing wrong will feel painful. It's one of the reasons many people advocate barefoot/minimalist running- instant bio-feedback as to form, in otherwords if you do it wrong, it's probably going to hurt. You can run correctly in shoes too, I just find it to cause me pain and problems and I hate feeling like I'm throwing bricks around on my feet (makes them heavy) and kills my range of motion. I'm not saying you should switch over to minimalist/barefoot running unless that;s your thing, but DO use it as a tool to check your running form first instead of throwing money at the problem. Most people don't need orthodontics to fix their running shoes- they need to fix their form.

This is a good page from a Harvard study talking about running form. Note that while it's heavily researching forefoot strike in a barefoot person vs heel strike in a shod person, there is a section showing that forefoot strike in a shod person has nearly the same benefits as a barefoot person, such as there is no Impact transient, "a nearly instantaneous and large increase in force that occurs as the heel comes to a sudden stop upon impacting the ground." http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    I had knee problems and went to the foot doctor and paid $400 for custom orthotics. Knee pain was gone the next day!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    I've used the Superfeet insoles and been very happy with the results. I recently switched to Sole inserts for my bicycling and they are FANTASTIC! In terms of price, I've been extremely satisfied with the Superfeet. They have been durable and I use them in my running shoes and my work shoes. I haven't tried the Sole inserts in my running shoes yet but they helped immensely on the bike.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    A running store trying to sell you something. Hmmmmm ........... if I was cynical .................
  • I tried them and then I switched shoe brands, and didn't need them. What matters is that your pain is gone! Happy running!

what brand of shoe, do you mind sharing

I bought Brooks Ravenna 4, tried them out for my run this Saturday and loved them
  • Yes, I got mine made by the podiatrist (molded specifically for my feet) ... They were covered by insurance, too ... I have high arches and really need the support, the is a HUGE difference!

I have high arches too, I may have to check out a podiatrist and see what they tell me.
  • To me this sounds more like you've got a problem with running form, not with shoes. Check your running form- if you're heel striking, you need to fix that and move to a forefoot strike. Land on the balls of your feet and then cushion your "fall" so that your heel comes down lightly to the ground then recoils to push off again. You should not be hitting _heel first_ then rocking to your toe (like in a walking stride). This tends to cause heel and knee pain because you are putting a lot of force into the joints then as opposed to using your arch to cushion the blow. Also make sure you're landing underneath your body, not taking long strides. For speed get faster foot turnover instead of longer strides- longer strides are more inefficient and again, put more force where you don't want it.

If you want to see if it's your form or your shoes, find a nice good area of grass free from debris, take your shoes off and run on it. If you've got bad running form (Heel striking, over extending, etc.) you'll quickly find out because it will HURT. You have no cushion barefoot and landing wrong will feel painful. It's one of the reasons many people advocate barefoot/minimalist running- instant bio-feedback as to form, in otherwords if you do it wrong, it's probably going to hurt. You can run correctly in shoes too, I just find it to cause me pain and problems and I hate feeling like I'm throwing bricks around on my feet (makes them heavy) and kills my range of motion. I'm not saying you should switch over to minimalist/barefoot running unless that;s your thing, but DO use it as a tool to check your running form first instead of throwing money at the problem. Most people don't need orthodontics to fix their running shoes- they need to fix their form.

This is a good page from a Harvard study talking about running form. Note that while it's heavily researching forefoot strike in a barefoot person vs heel strike in a shod person, there is a section showing that forefoot strike in a shod person has nearly the same benefits as a barefoot person, such as there is no Impact transient, "a nearly instantaneous and large increase in force that occurs as the heel comes to a sudden stop upon impacting the ground." http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html

Thanks for the info going to check out the site and try the test you suggested
  • I had knee problems and went to the foot doctor and paid $400 for custom orthotics. Knee pain was gone the next day!
    WOW!!!
  • I use superfeet insoles in my shoes.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member

That's A study, not THE. Study. There's actually a lot of research that says a runners can't reliably change stride mechanics and there isn't much reason to. There are a lot of elite level professional runners who heel strike. Biomechanically there are several studies that find heel striking is actually *more* efficient than midfoot striking.
    It's more likely that the OP is running too much too soon and running too fast causing over-striding. You don't need to try to change your mechanics. Just shorten your stride to match your pace and aerobic capabilities.

I say this as a natural mid-foot striker and 15+ year runner who has a bachelors degree in kinesiology. I am in no way saying I know it all. I'm saying no one has enough research to say anything other than highly cushioned shoes are probably not good and running should not hurt. If it does, you're exceeding your fitness.
  • Guys, I have recently started using artificial cartilage foam insoles, and I have almost fallen in love with them. In the past, I've tried sorbothane and others insoles, but they simply didn’t work for me. I got to know about these insoles from this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v06rjQb3-xw
    , after which I searched for their website and ordered them from their online store www.artilage.com and honestly, it is the best decision I have ever taken to protect my feet.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Yes, I got mine made by the podiatrist (molded specifically for my feet) ... They were covered by insurance, too ... I have high arches and really need the support, the is a HUGE difference!

I have high arches too, I may have to check out a podiatrist and see what they tell me.

I'm a high arch girl too. My right foot has slight pronation. I have a pair of brooks glycerins and they were great at first, but after a month I think my feet lost weight and now I slide around in them a bit. (that's actually not as weird as it sounds. I have an 18 month old and with both kids my feet changed significantly. I thought I was past that since he was 15 months when I bought the shoes, but maybe not)I paid $150 for them, so I didn't want to get rid of them, but I'm thinking an insert might help. I'm only getting pains in my right ankle and I do get the occasional shin splints which I think is because I just never seem to stretch. I always mean to, but rarely do it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Guys, I have recently started using artificial cartilage foam insoles, and I have almost fallen in love with them. In the past, I've tried sorbothane and others insoles, but they simply didn’t work for me. I got to know about these insoles from this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v06rjQb3-xw
    , after which I searched for their website and ordered them from their online store www.artilage.com and honestly, it is the best decision I have ever taken to protect my feet.

Good enough to spam multiple threads, including this year-old one?