Eat same amount of calorie on rest day?

Options
I was wondering if I'm supposed to eat same amount of calories on my rest day?

Replies

• dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    depends if you're going by MFP or TDEE method. I go by TDEE and eat the same calories each day, whether i work out or not.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    depends if you're going by MFP or TDEE method. I go by TDEE and eat the same calories each day, whether i work out or not.

This!^

If you don't want the up/down of logging exercise calories into MFP, google TDEE (that's maintenance so it should exercise up front).....then take a percentage or a number value from that. You exercise will be "averaged" out thru the week.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Yes, your goal calories are your goal calories.
    Ignore "net" calories, ignore what it says you burned in exercise,
    just eat your goal calories every day.
    Don't go over.
  • KeepYaHeadUp
    Options
    I've been wondering and stressing out about the same thing. Thank you!
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes, your goal calories are your goal calories.
    Ignore "net" calories, ignore what it says you burned in exercise,
    just eat your goal calories every day.
    Don't go over.

If I ignored what it says I burned in exercise on a day I ride my bike 20-30 miles, I'd dream of eating marshmallows and wake up with the pillows gone, belching polyester fluff.

Depends. Depends on whether you're going MFP or TDEE. I'd say, too, it depends on how intense you are on the exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    If you're using the MFP method, you just eat to your goal...it won't increase as you haven't logged any exercise...so you just eat whatever your goal is.

When you log exercise you get to eat more...that's how MFP works.

Your calorie goal is not affected by what you told MFP you were going to do for exercise...your calorie goal includes your weight loss deficit BEFORE any deliberate exercise. So if you said you wanted to lose 1 Lb per week and MFP gives you a net goal of 1500 calories, that means MFP is estimating your NON EXERCISE maintenance number to be around 2,000 calories. So if you just ate those 1500 calories without any exercise at all, you'd lose weight. If you exercise and say conservatively that you burn 250 calories, you log that and you can eat those back and would end up grossing 1,750 calories...but you would maintain the same 500 calorie per day deficit because your theoretical maintenance number would have also increased by that same 250 calories.