Plateau Help

Options
Hello everybody - I have lost about 42lbs now and want to loose 30 more yet; however I have seem to hit a plateau now. Does anybody have any good tips on how to get the loss going again? Also Ive been on about a 1200 or so daily calorie count - once I've lost this much should I lower the calories to get loosing again or do I keep them the same? Thank you

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Stay there and try walking 30 minutes everyday

29509743.png
  • Ashado2014
    Ashado2014 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you - wow you have lost 100 congratulations - how long did that take you
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Stay there and try walking 30 minutes everyday

29509743.png

Yup!! This poster is right. Leave your calories there and ramp up the exercise. Hit it dead on.....and it has taken me months to learn this lesson.....LOL.....but I finally did and just about to drop down into another "tens" category......
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You don't say how long it's been since you last saw a drop on the scale. Plateaus are generally considered to be 4-6+ weeks with no change on the scale and no changes to your routine. If that's what we're talking about, it's almost always caused by overestimating calories burned and underestimating calories eaten. Adding more exercise isn't bad advice, but it doesn't really address what caused the issue in the first place.

If you're using the term more colloquially to refer to a week or two without a loss, then that's very normal during weight loss and may be nothing to worry about. Small life changes can cause us to retain water (sodium, hormones, stress, TOM, exercise, etc.), masking our fat loss for a couple of weigh-ins.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How long on the plateau? Additionally, your diary is closed.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I lost the 100lbs from late August 2012-mid March 2014

so about 19 months

29509743.png
  • Ashado2014
    Options
    Thank you - well it's been a couple of weeks I think...maybe 3
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 5 - 6 weeks, a stall is where you are. The less you have to lose, the smaller the deficit becomes and the more contentious you need to be with counting.
  • Ashado2014
    Options
    Oh okay so watch the calories closely then is what you are saying? I appreciate the help getting a little discouraged
  • Ashado2014
    Options
    Wow truly amazing how did you do it - just set your calories and watch what you eat or a particular diet plan - congratulations wow
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh solids and measure liquids?