Heart Rate Monitors/Calorie tracker

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What would you suggest as a good HRM/ Calorie Counter to use?

An HRM is not a calorie counter, and the value of an HRM really depends on what kind of training that you're talking about doing. For the majority of people that I see on these boards asking the question the training isn't really of the type where an HRM is a useful tool.

If you're running, cycling, rowing or similar then it may be beneficial, if not then personally I'd suggest not bothering, particularly if affordability is an issue.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    An HRM is not a calorie counter,

True, but it is an important factor in calculating your calories. If you aren't tracking your HR you are missing a significant piece of the puzzle in terms of your exercise progress and health in general. If you are walking around with a resting HR of 100 bpm, it may be something you want to look into

A HRM also has value beyond just strictly steady state exercise. I keep it on during strength training and HIIT stuff, and it trends reasonably with the "plug in the data" tables on MFP and other resources (MFP calculates 8 CPM for strength training, Digifit (with HRM data) varies from 6-9). Consider - when you exercise, your HR increases, you burn more calories - while you are resting, your HR decreases, you burn less. Is it a perfect measurement? No. Is it better than guessing or following a generic table? I think so. It is also useful to determine how long to rest between sets when strength training (allowing your HR to decrease to 50-60% of your max) to ensure you aren't overworking yourself.
  • AgentJK
    AgentJK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did tons of research talked with many people. I thought I wanted the fitbit, yet found out it's good for everyday tracking, sleep, steps, walking. I looked into Garmin which I really want now but have to save. I ended with a polar 4, works good tracks well. My only problem is I am very active running up hills etc. My heart monitor actually falls off or comes loose. So I am always looking to make sure it's working
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What would you suggest as a good HRM/ Calorie Counter to use?

An HRM is not a calorie counter, and the value of an HRM really depends on what kind of training that you're talking about doing. For the majority of people that I see on these boards asking the question the training isn't really of the type where an HRM is a useful tool.

If you're running, cycling, rowing or similar then it may be beneficial, if not then personally I'd suggest not bothering, particularly if affordability is an issue.

Agree with this.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    HRMs are only programmed and designed for calorie estimation from certain steady state activities. They are simply not made to accurately estimate during HIIT, Zumba, Prancercise, lifting, etc.
  • oh_its_leesha
    oh_its_leesha Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I really don't post on here a lot but i was just curious. What would you suggest as a good HRM/ Calorie Counter to use? I see a lot of people use the Polar watch. But honestly i don't have Polar watch money, and is that brand the only good brand out there? Thanks in advance for the responses!

The FT4 was only $60 last I looked. If that's out of your price range then you get into buying HRMs that aren't accurate because they don't come with a strap to measure your Heart Rate. My FitBit One is great, but also in the Polar range. I'd suggest saving up or looking on Ebay/Amazon for a used one.

Yea i was going to look into amazon as well. i was just curious to what people are using. Dont want to get something and its terrible ya know? But thank you! i will look at Amazon!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

True, but it is an important factor in calculating your calories.

Subject to the type of training that one is doing, as in my previous, bursts of anaerobic render the estimations pretty meaningless.
    If you aren't tracking your HR you are missing a significant piece of the puzzle in terms of your exercise progress and health in general.

Which isn't what the vast majority of people asking the question here are after, they're largely interested in the calorie count. In that sense the FT4, which seems to be the default suggestion for the majority of casual exercisers, isn't actually providing meaningful training related information.

Zone training has some benefit, as a training approach. Is it any better than any other form of training? probably not.
  • arwFTW
    arwFTW Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies so I apologize if this is redundant.

I just got a Garmin Vivofit a couple of weeks ago. I LOVE IT.

It tracks: calories, sleep activity, steps walked/run, your step goal, and displays time and date. Fully compatible with iphone 4s and newer, and MFP. It's about $130 for just that. If you buy the HRM to wear during workouts it's another $60

In my opinion it's 100% worth it. I've already lost 3 lbs using it as my guide :)
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is probably the cheapest you'll find. They are usually on sale, and the quality is great for the cost.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

True, but it is an important factor in calculating your calories.

Subject to the type of training that one is doing, as in my previous, bursts of anaerobic render the estimations pretty meaningless.
    If you aren't tracking your HR you are missing a significant piece of the puzzle in terms of your exercise progress and health in general.

Which isn't what the vast majority of people asking the question here are after, they're largely interested in the calorie count. In that sense the FT4, which seems to be the default suggestion for the majority of casual exercisers, isn't actually providing meaningful training related information.

Zone training has some benefit, as a training approach. Is it any better than any other form of training? probably not.

So often it seems people are more focused on a shiny new toy based on marketing hype than buying the right tool for the job they want done.
  • StephBendo
    StephBendo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    how did you get the Wahoo and myfitnesspal apps to sync? I got the wahoo tickr today and am using an LG G3 (android) and wahoo fitness is not one of the options under the apps and devices and when I check the wahoo fitness app it doesn't share to myfitnesspal either. Are you using an Iphone? is it something that's just not available on android yet?
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

So often it seems people are more focused on a shiny new toy based on marketing hype than buying the right tool for the job they want done.
    [/quote]

Yes! I love shiny new toys!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I use the polar h7 HRM it straps across my chest. REI sells them very reasonable and you can also look on Amazon for a decent price too. I sync it with my iPhone and an app called digi fit. They usually can run around 79 but you can find them cheaper on sale
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What type of activities are you wanting this for? HRMs are for monitoring HR during training and provide calorie burn estimates (emphasis on estimates) and will only be relatively accurate for steady state cardio (running, cycling, elliptical). They are not accurate for things such as strength training, HIIT...etc.

This!^

HRMs - Look for a chest strap model, as wrist only ones have various issues. .

Activity Trackers (ie: FitBit) are worn 24/7 and attempt to give you a TDEE (total daily expenditure).
  • acmcknight07
    Options
    !
  • acmcknight07
    Options
    how did you get the Wahoo and myfitnesspal apps to sync? I got the wahoo tickr today and am using an LG G3 (android) and wahoo fitness is not one of the options under the apps and devices and when I check the wahoo fitness app it doesn't share to myfitnesspal either. Are you using an Iphone? is it something that's just not available on android yet?

I have an iphone so the symantics may be a little different, but I'll try. :) After you complete and save your run in the wahoo app, there should be a box icon with an arrow. Mine is on the top right corner. If you touch that, it will bring up several options to sync the workout. I have MapMyFitness, MyFitnessPal, Mail, iTunes, etc. Select the app you want to sync to and click done. That should do it!
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd Polar monitor. I used to have an FT4 but then I decided to upgrade to an FT60. I buy them from Bodytronics.com, it tends to be a bit cheaper than anywhere else.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Almost 2 years later ... I have a OHRM (optical HR monitor) and the watch also pairs with ANT HR straps for workouts because OHRM doesn't handle a lot of workouts well. (They tend to lag a bit and aren't good for anything with a lot of wrist/forearm movement. Also they don't work well if they are too wet.)

This is the ticket though for calorie counting and measuring your activity. Vastly better than just a activity tracker that doesn't monitor HR. Your heart rate is a great proxy for how many calories you are burning.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    StephBendo wrote: »

You have to have an Account with someone like Endomondo, Strava, MapMyFitness or some other 3rd party app that does sync with MFP, and make sure they linked together. When you complete your workout you need to push that data, from Wahoo Fitness, to the 3rd Party app and it will sync with MFP.

I used the Wahoo App for the biggest bulk of my weight loss journey, I just wish they would release RunFit to the Android side of things....
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The polar H7 (chest strap HRM) is relatively cheap, less than $50. It pairs with your phone.