Running Mantras?

Options
I have a half marathon coming up and I'm curious what folks say to themselves to keep motivated during long runs.

In the past I've tried comparing running to riding a bike ("pedal those feet, nice and smooth") and have counted down the miles until a drink/food reward ("X miles until you can enjoy pizza.").

Replies

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think about how many [cupcakes/cookies/pizzas] I'll be able to eat when I'm done. but mostly I focus on my form, slip into the zone, and just go with it. :drinker:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I would find that those mantras would stop me in my tracks. I don't want to be reminded I'm running. I find things like .. Look! a Squirrel! .. or Cool tree!! ... tend to be what keeps me going.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I try to have a good station on Pandora playing. Have fun with it.

29509743.png
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I get Shemar Moore (Criminal Minds) in my head saying "You got this, baby girl!" I love Shemar Moore so it's definately motivating :laugh:
  • kat2brigid
    Options
    I would find that those mantras would stop me in my tracks. I don't want to be reminded I'm running. I find things like .. Look! a Squirrel! .. or Cool tree!! ... tend to be what keeps me going.

^That helps me, too. I also LOVE people watching, so I'm sure I'm known as *that* creepy runner on the trail. :embarassed:
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I put together a sweet playlist for my long runs to help keep me moving. Trying to find the best looking behind helps too (for pacing purposes of course).
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I don't like listening to music when running, but I will sometimes sing or hum a tune under my breath. After visiting friends with a 14-month-old last month, this pops into my head far too often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPrmY7labLA

(You're welcome.)
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love pandora :), but I also like to say "I'm strong, I'm fresh" meaning my legs are fresh and not tired. Its silly, but works.
  • csec6pak
    csec6pak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I count backwards from 10. Every time my left foot hits the ground is a count. I always count in a pattern like this:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
    10 10 9 9 8 8 7 7 6 6 5 5 4 4 3 3 2 2 1 1 0 0
    10 10 10 9 9 9 8 8 8 7 7 7 6 6 6 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 2 2 2 1 1 1 0 0 0
    10 10 10 9 9 9 8 8 8 7 7 7 6 6 6 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 3 3 2 2 2 1 1 1 0 0 0
    10 10 9 9 8 8 7 7 6 6 5 5 4 4 3 3 2 2 1 1 0 0
    10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

I'll sprint for one counting cycle then jog for two, or when I'm tired I will tell myself, one more counting cycle and then you can slow down.

Is this totally psycho? It kinda sounds crazy when I type it out like this, but I always have numbers going in my head.
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "There is no spoon." – To remind me that the tiredness (= the spoon) is all in my head: that it's just my instincts telling me to stop, and that I haven't really reached the limit of what I can do, not by far.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It depends on how I'm feeling. First few miles I take in what's around me and just enjoy running, when I start to tire I think about making sure I keep my form as I have a habit of hunching forward which makes my back more tired. When I get really tired I remind myself that its the same distance to the finish whether I run or walk so to run as it gets it over with quicker. I also do stupid mental arithmetic eg tell myself its only the same distance as I run to my local park , or to the park and once around the lake. When all esle fails I look at my Road ID which has 'SHUT UP LEGS' and 'Just one more step...' written on it.