any advice for getting more protein in my diet?

Options
Help - I am not even vegetarian but I rarely eat enough protein for the goal MFP has listed in my tracker... Any advice? Is anyone else having trouble?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Quest or Premier protein bars
    Tuna fish
    chicken
    beef
    eggs
    nuts
    peanut butter
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and whey help a ton as well.. Usually I try to eat at least 8oz of chicken a day that will help some. Best of Luck
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt protein smoothie - a serving of plain greek yogurt (check all the brands to find the one that has the most protein per calories), a scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder and some fruit (a banana, strawberries, raspberries, whatever you like). 45+ grams of protein per serving, depending in what yogurt and protein powder you use.
  • Yami351
    Yami351 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I second the Quest Bars, they have a bunch of different favors and they really helped me to reach my protein goals while fitting into my calorie goals as well.
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I second greek yogurt and protein powders for low cal lots of protein. chicken breast as well
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    2q18kll.gif
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    One thing I like to make that provides TONS of protein -

I get a rotisserie chicken from Costco and then chop all the chicken up really fine, then baggie it and eat off it in a week in egg mugs. For an egg mug I use 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites, about 3oz of my chopped chicken and 1 triangle of Laughing Cow Light Swiss cheese (also get at Costco).

Spray a big mug or bowl with cooking spray, beat the eggs and pour in. Microwave 30 sec. Mix in 3oz chicken and the cheese triangle cut up. Microwave 30 sec, mix again, here I like to personally add something like Frank's Red Hot sauce. Microwave 30 sec, mix again, microwave more in 15sec increments until the egg is as cooked as you prefer.

Something made exactly as written here will come in at 250 calories and 38 grams of protein. You will feel totally stuffed from this meal with that much protein.

I eat tons and tons of greek yogurt; I don't like it plain so my tastes are expensive, but there's tons of good flavors now that it is so popular. Just last night I tried a Dannon one that was only 80cal and had 12g of protein and I was pretty excited about that. I usually eat Chobani brand with 130cal and 12g protein so 80cal was pretty exciting!
    Cottage cheese has tons of protein, too.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Tuna fish
    chicken
    beef
    eggs
    nuts

Plus seafood, cottage cheese, mushrooms.

Alot of bodybuilders eat a ton of broccoli...never know how to spell brocolli..??!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are always a simple go-to as well, and I like the Premier Protein bars from Costco. The higher protein one is 300cal for 30g protein, and they have a crisp version which is quite tasty although not as good a protein bang for your buck at 200cal and 15g protein.
  • taryninoly
    taryninoly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will start some of these pointers. I have tuna with veggies for lunch :)
  • salemspellman51
    Options
    Try cashews a handful has 5g almonds and walnuts have more, and they make a great snack
  • taryninoly
    Options
    haha!
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    tofu, seitan, beans, lentils, broccoli, spinach, soy milk, seeds and nuts :)
  • taryninoly
    Options
    Thanks! I will have to check out egg whites. I have been having an egg or 2 for breakfast in the am :-) If I add some egg whites to the egg it should bulk it up for sure - and that cheese idea love it!
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Tuna fish
    chicken
    beef
    eggs
    nuts

Plus seafood, cottage cheese, mushrooms.

Alot of bodybuilders eat a ton of broccoli...never know how to spell brocolli..??!

??1 cup of mushrooms has 2 gm protein. 1 cup of broccoli has 2 gm of protein.

Tilapia, cod, tuna, any seafood... chicken, ground turkey, ground beef, steak, eggs, whey protein...just eat protein every time you eat, it shouldn't be that hard really, once you get used to it ;)
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I was having problems with that, too. I finally bought whey protein powder and now have a protein shake each day. It has bridged the gap. My current blend - frozen blueberries, peanut butter, Torani Dark Chocolate sauce, banana, low-fat milk, scoop of Jarrow Whey Protein powder and a couple ice cubes in the blender. Yum!

I'm sure there are infinite possibilities for protein shakes.

By the way, you don't need to spend big bucks on a blender. I got a Hamilton Beach Personal blender for $15 and I've been making smoothies with it for three years with no problems. Does just fine with the protein shakes as well.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    beans, peas have very good sources of protein as well. It is almost soup weather after all
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I go with Protein shakes. They are usually low in fat and carbs whereas the bars I can get are high in carbs and have some fat in.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt has 12g or more of protein and its yummy. :) I like Fage brand the best ( pronounced Fah yay) its one of the few that is still really "greek yogurt" and doesn't have the icky extras like others that have been bought out by big brands.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options

??1 cup of mushrooms has 2 gm protein. 1 cup of broccoli has 2 gm of protein.

i dont speak "cup" but 400g frozen broccoli (which isnt as much as it sounds) has 80-90 calories and 12g protein, that qualifies as good protein source in my books. :) + lets not forget iron and other great stuff broccoli delivers!