frozen lunches

Options
When i do not have time to pack a lunch i usually grab a frozen food . I like these frozen meal because it is easy to meet the calories goal and feel satisfied after eating them but i am torn because it is all processed food.... and i know processed food is not always the healthiest

Any thoughts ....

Replies

• malloryteresa
    Options
    I personally stay away from them because of the sodium and the fact that it is so processed. What about making your own to stash in the freezer for times when you just have to grab and go? We started doing this and it makes things so easy and it works out to be much healthier and much cheaper. We normally will cook an extra portion or two of what we are making for dinner and than portion it out before we start eating dinner. Let the extra portions cool than freeze. Sometimes I spend an hour or two prepping meals just for the freezer so my husband have quick and healthy grab and go meals.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    They are better than fast food ie McDonald's. If you read the labels before you buy them you can choose very good options.
  • fallenangel316
    Options
    I personally stay away from them because of the sodium and the fact that it is so processed. What about making your own to stash in the freezer for times when you just have to grab and go? We started doing this and it makes things so easy and it works out to be much healthier and much cheaper. We normally will cook an extra portion or two of what we are making for dinner and than portion it out before we start eating dinner. Let the extra portions cool than freeze. Sometimes I spend an hour or two prepping meals just for the freezer so my husband have quick and healthy grab and go meals.

My boyfriend and i just started doing this to. We make extra with our meal and then freeze for those days we are in a hurry or just can't be bothered making dinner. I have started looking into lots of frozen meal ideas in Pinterest and In the next couple of weeks we have day booked of where we will prep and cook our own freezer meals. We only have plans to make three meals but it looks like its growing.
    Its a great way to prep and plan some healthy meals as well as spending time with my man. I think that's a good thing :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I prefer homemade frozen meals over prepackaged ones. Less unpronounceable ingredients, plus the calories and macros tend to be better per serving too. I can make more and still keep the cals down since I know what's going in to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    As a foodie, I can only say that those things barely qualify as food...I suppose I would eat one in an emergency..maybe.

I usually just prepare extra of whatever I'm making for dinner so that I can take it to work for lunch the next day as left-over. I also make a big batch of black beans every Sunday night in the crock pot after they've soaked for a good 12 hours...these are a staple of my family's lunches and sometimes dinners.

Friday is usually sammich day....
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    All comes down to planning. If you want a delicious homemade lunch every time, then you'll make the time. Night before, throw together a salad but pack "wet" things - like tomatoes - separately and it won't get soggy. Get some little containers for condiments and dressings. Planning well the night before = deliciousness the next day.
    Make casseroles/pastas/soups in large quantities and pre-package the leftover portions. Just don't make so much that you'll get sick of it before you can finish it. Or make something that freezes well and then you can go nuts.
    Personally I've been disappointed by many a frozen meal that looks great on the box, but the insides are ****.