Too much of anything... even protein...

Options
In a recent study at UCLA, people 65 and under who ate a high-protein diet had four times the risk of death from cancer and diabetes and double the risk of death from any other cause. Protein activates IGF-1, a growth factor that pushes cells to age more quickly—which can cause DNA damage. Interestingly, moderate or high amounts of protein led to lower cancer and death rates for those over age 65. "Older adults tend to lose weight and be more frail, so for them, a boost in protein can benefit immunity," says study author Valter Longo.

Here's your age-appropriate protein prescription:

AGE: 65 or under → PROTEIN: 0.37 g per lb of body weight; about 55 g per day for a 150 lb person

AGE: Over 65 → PROTEIN: 0.45–0.5 g per lb of body weight; 68–75 g per day for a 150 lb person

Source:
http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/are-you-eating-too-much-protein

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Protein causes cancer and diabetes.
    Carbohydrates cause cancer and diabetes.
    Fat causes heart disease and makes you fat.

Guess I'm going to live off air because 100% of people who drink water die.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Meh. I'll take my chances. We all die from something.

ETA: Also, "double the risk of death from any other cause"....am I more likely to die from a car crash because I eat extra protein????
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

100% of the people who breathe air die!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    In a recent study at UCLA, people 65 and under who ate a high-protein diet had four times the risk of death from cancer and diabetes and double the risk of death from any other cause. Protein activates IGF-1, a growth factor that pushes cells to age more quickly—which can cause DNA damage. Interestingly, moderate or high amounts of protein led to lower cancer and death rates for those over age 65. "Older adults tend to lose weight and be more frail, so for them, a boost in protein can benefit immunity," says study author Valter Longo.

AGE: 65 or under → PROTEIN: 0.37 g per lb of body weight; about 55 g per day for a 150 lb person

AGE: Over 65 → PROTEIN: 0.45–0.5 g per lb of body weight; 68–75 g per day for a 150 lb person

Source:
    http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/are-you-eating-too-much-protein

I wish they would've given the parameters of the study. There's much more to it than age and weight to determine protein intake. Activity level and goals play another part.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I wish this article (which I clicked through to) had included 1) a link to the actual study, and 2) information about the activity level of the participants. Common sense says this would have in impact.

No offense to OP, but this should have been called "Too little information on too much protein."
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

100% of the people who breathe air die!

FINE! I'm holding my breath!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Actual study not linked. The day I start trusting the analysis of article authors again is the day I give up trying to be better. Without the study, I can't determine if there's it's only a link that doesn't necessarily support cause = causation or if it's something to actually take into consideration.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I wish this article (which I clicked through to) had included 1) a link to the actual study, and 2) information about the activity level of the participants. Common sense says this would have in impact.

No offense to OP, but this should have been called "Too little information on too much protein."

boom.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Source:

I wish they would've given the parameters of the study. There's much more to it than age and weight to determine protein intake. Activity level and goals play another part.

Yeah. Lots of people (here anyway) track their macros, protein in particular, for specific reasons. It's hard to extend the questionable results of the analysis out.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The study was limited to people over the age of 50, mostly overweight and sedentary.

I'm 41. Not applicable.

ETA: here's another study. I like this study more. Strength train, y'all.

http://www.sciencenewsline.com/articles/2014031415180009.html

ETA 2.0: also UCLA.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Most people who eat high amounts of protein and red meat over-consume and are over weight, are sedentary, and do not get enough fiber. If you statistically correct for these variables, then eating high protein has zero adverse health risks linked to it. Also, the part about diabetes is just a joke. This is a correlation study, doesn't prove causation. If you know anything about insulin and it's role in metabolic function you would know why this isn't true. Also, please don't ever link to an article on a women's fitness and nutrition website as evidence...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

boom.

Agreed...

That said, I personally believe in moderation of everything and eating a pretty well balanced diet which pretty much gives me a moderate intake of all three macros.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Any information for those of us who actually, you know, go to a gym?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Wasn't this the study that also showed improved health markers for over 65? Which pretty heavily calls into the question the validity of the study?

Apologies if I'm recalling the wrong study and linking something irrelevant but here:
    http://examine.com/blog/high-protein-diets-linked-to-cancer-should-you-be-concerned/
  • garnerish
    garnerish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I see "HIGH PROTEIN BAD" it's mainly related to eating way too much red meat.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Wasn't this the study that also showed improved health markers for over 65? Which pretty heavily calls into the question the validity of the study?

Apologies if I'm recalling the wrong study and linking something irrelevant but here:
    http://examine.com/blog/high-protein-diets-linked-to-cancer-should-you-be-concerned/

Nope. You are correct. UCLA also came out with a study a little before this that indicated that adding lean mass to the body, through strength training and protein consumption, prolonged life.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Soylent green must be the answer then, as human flesh is apparently the only thing that hasn't been shown to cause cancer yet.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    NO :angry:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

boom-o.gif
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Quotation-Steven-Wright-food-humor-health-Meetville-Quotes-9746.jpg

steven-wright.jpg