Getting larger with weight training HELP!

Options
Hi guys, would really appreciate some help... briefly here's my background. I am 5 foot 10 female weighing around 165 pounds. I have the dreaded belly flab and large thighs that just will not go! On an average day I will eat 1500 cals, and allow myself to eat a little junk food once per week. My question is relating to exercising, well weight training...

So I started going to the gym 4 months ago. About a month in, I decided that I wanted to do weight training too. So I go to the gym 3-4 days per week, for 45mins to an hour. I spend half the time doing cardio, and half the time do weight training like squats and lunges with hand weights, leg press machine, etc.

After a month I measured in (I only go by measurements) and my thighs had increased in size by 3cm :(

My friend told me I must continue and soon enough the fat will disappear and I will look lean. So, now its been 3 months with weight training in my workouts. I am now up by 6cm in my thighs. 6!!!!!!! Also, my tummy area hasn't lost anything at all. I really did go from not working out at all, to working out 3-4x per week and eating the same...How could I not be burning fat?

Has anyone been in my situation, or does anyone have any advice? Look forward to reading some replies!!!! :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    to be frank you have to lose weight to get that lean look...resistence training and weights only help keep existing muscle mass.

If your measurments are increasing there are a few reasons.

1. Water retention
    2. Mis measurments (different spots each time)

Are you measuring first thing in the morning?

Exercise is for health...calorie deficit is for weight loss...
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yep, I pretty much was in your same shoes :( It was all about my deficit... as in, I wasn't creating one! Turns out (after better tracking and weighting) i was eating at maintenance ..and then some! I thought i was burning way more than I was. I ended up gaining body fat % and weight (measured at the gym after 3 months). Super depressing. But, as soon as I really zeroed into my calories , tracking, etc... I lost 10 lbs in less than 3 months.. before that, nothing had budged. So honestly, I don't think it has that much to do with the actual weights. Just need a bigger deficit! I hope that helped some!
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the above replies :0
    I could possibly have water retention but unsure... If that is the case what should I do there?
    Yea maybe I am not at a big enough deficit. It has always been such a struggle to lose weight, so maybe I do have to try quite a lot harder. I do think I am trying hard already though!

Cardio burns more calories though right? Does anyone think while I am trying to lose fat I should concentrate on cardio more?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I would also say to focus on calorie intake to get your deficit. Here is a great thread that will give you lots of info to get you started the right way:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

As for focusing on cardio....I would say feel free to add it, but don't give up on the lifting. A balanced approach is usually pretty good.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For whatever it's worth...

I do a different kind of weight workout and can't track the calories because there's just no way, so I don't count them at all.

The only calories I ever count are from cardio-type exercises and I only count half of those (if any.)

Eta: I don't like getting bigger, either, but I had to pick my poison.
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Does anyone find you have to have quite a large deficit to really get results? because I am usually at a 500 cal deficit each day, maybe it should be more?? I also don't have heaps to lose, I suppose. I guess you could say I could afford to lose 1-2 dress sizes
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Take measurements at the same time of the day (as when you weigh yourself). Also make sure you're caloric deficit is still in place; some people "eat back" what they burn because they feel they've earned it, but instead of eating back what will keep them in a deficit they eat way too much.

Also drink more water, could just be water weight.

One thing to note, I've seen a lot of people mention that they are more "swollen" after lifting. This used to happen to me but lately it hasn't, I would feel smaller and clothes were looser. I've been overtraining though (most likely) so this was likely a sign of this. So... the added size may be temporary, especially if clothes fit the same or better overall, and it's probably a good thing. You WANT your muscles to be able to repair themselves. Mine have clearly been overworked and not healing well, unfortunately.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Does anyone find you have to have quite a large deficit to really get results? because I am usually at a 500 cal deficit each day, maybe it should be more?? I also don't have heaps to lose, I suppose. I guess you could say I could afford to lose 1-2 dress sizes

20% from your TDEE (whether exercise or non-exercise TDEE) is more than enough, so the number of cals will vary. If your TDEE is 2500 them 20% less is 2000, or 500 cals. But if your TDEE is 2200, then the deficit is only 440; if 2800, deficit is 560. But they should all give you a similar amount of weight loss/similar rate.

So if you are using true TDEE, then 20% from your overall average activity is enough of a deficit. If you are using net calories, or calculate your TDEE without including exercise, then you take that number and subtract 20% from it and then log and eat back exercise cals (the number of cals you eat back varies - some eat them all, others only half; you may find that lighter workouts = eat less, harder = eat more, or if you use a generic sedentary drop down it may be too few cals and thus eating back all cals would work fine).
  • Summerfit321
    Summerfit321 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I once completed insanity and some weight training whilst eating at a caloric deficit. I really gained a muscled look, but my measurements went down: I started at about 49 kg and ended at 47... but looked more toned and athletic. However, once I stopped tracking my kcal intake and did weight training, my muscles got really large: so, it's all about how many kcal you are eating. I think a dietary deficit of 500 a day is very reasonable, and I wouldn't go under that, as it can be quite hard and ofputting :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I agree TDEE-20% is more than enough...I am shorter than you and currently eat 2k a day to lose down to 145. I lift (4x a week) and do extra cardio (just walking) on days I have time and off days but just because I need to get out and work the muscles after lifting so I don't get stiff...and I enjoy the fresh air.

If you don't have a lot to lose TDEE-10% is actually even better. The less you have to lose the slower iit will happen or should happen. Tighten up logging use a food scale to be sure and proper entries (make sure they are correct as lots here are not)

Remember this tho...how much you eat defines your weight loss...the exercise can help increase your deficit but it is mainly for health.