Tofu?

Options
Ok, so I love tofu and its so good for you, however my husband will only try it "if i can cover up the taste". I would make it for just me but then im making two separate dinners, so before doing that i'm wondering if anyone has a really good marinade i can try or something. And i want people to know he has never had it before, and my theory is if you've never had it you dont know if you hate lol so i want to try just one meal at least

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Go find a place that prepares good tofu rather than buying it from the local grocery store and you may be able to convince your husband. Good tofu can be served with a little soy sauce, or ground ginger, maybe some yuzu kosho, onion, etc.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    And bonito flakes and coarse kosher salt, with a little finely chopped green onion. Go to an asian market to get everything.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    For something other than the main course, try this:
    Blend a pack (silken/firm) with a banana or two (by taste and texture), add in a tbsp of cocoa powder (or cacao + sweetener), and top with a bit of cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Chill in the fridge. Add milk if it's too thick, and a splash vanilla if the flavor needs a pick me up
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As a dessert, because I mean who doesnt love dessert, I personally love the pumpkin "cheese"cake from blog.fatfreevegan.com. Even my mom loves it. To put that into perspective she's a meat and potatoes kinda woman who declares anything vegetarian or vegan is fake food.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I win people over with fried tofu. It's amazing.
  • KatiePapaya
    Options
    Tofu is one of my favourite foods, so I use it a lot...I'll try not to ramble but these are my favourite ways to cook it:
    *Press it, cut into chunky strips, spray it with cooking spray, roll it in seasoning and then bake on greaseproof paper at 200C for about 30 minutes until it's golden and crispy. I just use salt and pepper, but other seasoning works well if you're trying to cover up the flavour (people have already said soy sauce etc.) They come out looking a bit like fish fingers and go nicely with peanut/satay style sauces
    *Press it, cut it into chunks and throw it into a stir fry or curry
    *This ones a weird one, but my mum does this thing with chicken where she wraps it in a tin foil parcel with loads of herbs and vegetables and bakes it until the chicken is cooked. I tried it with tofu chunks (200 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes) and it absorbed the flavours and spices! It's delicious, especially with soy sauce or Italian herbs! :love:
    If you press the tofu you can get from the super market (wrap it in kitchen roll and put something heavy on it for about 15 minutes) the texture is "meatier" and easier to work with. Hope this helps; enjoy your tofu :flowerforyou:
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    pressed as above poster recommends.
    then mix 50/50 with turkey breast chopped to same shape cooked up in a strir fry.
    i do this myself and can barely tell the difference.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
  • ejs62
    ejs62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try "dry frying" your tofu. It keeps the texture great and the flavors great. That's how I got my boyfriend to try it and he loved it http://ssscookingforone.blogspot.com/2013/01/dry-fried-tofu-stir-fry.html
  • Amelia0471
    Options
    Oh my goodness all these receipes sound wonderful! Thanks everyone :)
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    what i like doing is first pressing it, then breaking it into crumbles into a sautee pan with either nonstick cooking spray or some evoo, then throwing some chopped onions in there with some salt for maybe 7-10 minutes(i tend to like my tofu overcooked, so you may need to adjust), and (to me) it tastes exactly like scrambled eggs. :)
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    This marinade works for for most people, but excluding my husband, but he hasn't tried it, but that's a different story:

Equal parts of soya sauce and honey, optionally mix with grated Ginger and garlic , s & p.

Squeeze out extra moisture from firm tofu, marinate, stir fry with onions and mushrooms (and I like to add broccoli too)
    Serve with rice.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I've never had to hide tofu from anyone, 'cause I'm single,
    but how about making the main part of the meal (veggies, carbs) by itself,
    and the meat by itself,
    and the tofu by itself,
    then he can add his meat to his main part of the meal
    and you can add your tofu to your main part of the meal.
  • sweetpea2820
    sweetpea2820 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I like to use it in a loaf. Fried mushrooms, onions,celery etc. add tofu, chopped up walnuts and some bread crumbs. seasoning put in loaf pan bake for 45 mins or so. very yummy. My boys it all the time. more like a meat loaf than anything. sometimes people don't like the texture of tofu so I hide it in things.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy food then also look up mapo doufu
  • I oil a pan and after cutting the tofu into slices I leave it and flip it until it is golden brown on each side and then just treat is as though it's any other stirfry. My significant other was skeptical at first too but he loves it!:smile:
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like tofu in thai green curry with baby sweetcorn, asparagus, red pepper and red onion.

Also in these 2 recipes:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1262640/tofu-and-asparagus-pad-thai
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/412629/ginger-sweet-tofu-with-pak-choi