New here - Gastric sleeve on 9/29

Options
Hi all!
I'm nervous.... I've done a lot of research, it took me years of trying other things before deciding on this route. I could really use advice, and friends. Only my mom, my fiancé and my best friend know I am doing this. Is it weird I'm embarrassed?

Replies

• MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't feel embarrassed. It is a big personal choice for each person.

gastricsleeve(dot)com is a great community site for people who have done it and who are thinking about doing it.

The best advice I found were these 3 things:
    Before the surgery eat small meals as if you've already had the surgery (this will prepare your mind not your body)
    Buy small plates, bowls, and utensils for your use before and after the surgery (this will train your mind before too)
    Have a good support system

Had my surgery 3/4/2014 and I'm doing well.

Hope all goes well for you! :smile:
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Don't feel embarrassed, you've put a lot of thought into making this decision and you're doing what you believe is best for you. Are you on Instagram? I follow a lot of weight loss surgery patients and they have formed an extremely supportive little community...it's great. @jcbjcksn is a personal friend of mine and very motivational. check out the hashtags #vsg #vsginstacrew #wls #wlsstrong to find some others who have been sleeved :)
  • ItsMeAmy0127
    Options
    I know some people feel that I've decided to take the lazy way out, or I've given up. When in fact, I've not at all! I feel I have taken the first step in a new healthy lifestyle. I have already started trying smaller meals. I start preop diet Monday, I just have so much running through my head! It's hard to sleep!

I am on Instagram! I will have to check those out.
    Inspiration in great!
  • afk1
    afk1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I had mine 10/22/13 and like you had tried every diet there is out there and some more than once.....first I had to realize and understand it is not the end all to my weight issue....its a tool to be used in addition to a lifestyle change of how I eat......best advice I can offer is to listen to your medical team.....be comfortable with them.....here in Syracuse we have a monthly support group go people who have had lap band, sleeve and roux- y(complete bypass) it is the best.....there isn't an issue, problem or situation that for the most part hasn't happened to one there already....they are your best allies, best friends and sources of information....at ours we even bring in old clothes to trade for new size clothes....they are great meetings.....we have speakers at times as well as open honest discussions...........I haven't had any issues but have had to learn and relearn a lot of things......good luck to you and please feel free to add me as a friend.....theres also a great book I found.....EATING WELL AFTER WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY.....recipes and serving guide lines for each surgery...along with calorie, fat, protein, fat, carb, fiber info and info to read as well.....its a great investment found mine on Amazon.com......best of luck to you and wishing you luck with your new lifestyle :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • ItsMeAmy0127
    Options
    Thank you! I totally view this as a tool. As, I know it takes a lot of work and effort to get to where I know I want to be.

I'm going to check out that book for sure. I definitely need help when it comes to meals for myself.

You all are wonderful..... Your advice is so appreciated!