What's your favorite food scale?

Options
I'm researching food scales and there's so many to choose from...what are you using? what are the main features I should look for?

Thank you.

Replies

• NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I bought an Ozeri (brand) from Wal-Mart because my other one broke (it was flimsy). Thus far I like the Ozeri, and the digital is much easier on my eyes. I think it was $15 or so, and the flimsy one was around $10...I'm happy.

Edited To Add: With regard to options and features, I have no idea. I just throw the food on there and it tells me what it weighs (in grams). lol I'm sure there are other settings to it (it has buttons)...but I don't fiddle with them.
  • FoogooFish
    FoogooFish Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I bought a Homedics digital scale from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for ~$30. I've only had it a short time, and it's the first one I've ever used, but it seems to do its job quite well. It's also very lightweight, which is handy for when I move it to all the random places in the kitchen to weigh my food.

As for features... a TARE feature and measurements in grams and ounces is all that mine possesses, and I've had no problems. I wish mine had a BIT more surface space (it's about 5x7 inches) so I could set bigger bowls/plates on it and still be able to see the display. A lighted display would be nice, too.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I use a Salter digital scale. It has been the best purchase I have made to reach my goals. I would go for a digital scale, which measures in grams (as it's more accurate), with a tare (or zero) function. All other functions such as whether you could fit a plate of your choosing on it are purely up to yourself!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    This is mine:
    wtt3pt.jpg

It's an Ozeri that I got on amazon.com.

edit: had to re-size image
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have an oxo brand food scale. I know I ordered it online, just don't know what vendor. It measure in grams, cups, milliliters and ounces. I generally only measure in ounces or grams. It takes 4 triple A batteries.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have a digital Sharper Image, which calculates grams or ounces and has a fare function. Excellent for my needs.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale by Salter.

Before I started using mfp I already had a digital scale for recipes , but I had to buy a new one after the first few weeks of tracking for more accuracy - my original one only weighed in increments of 5g, so I made sure I got one that showed every gram. (eg. If something weighs 43g the original one would round to 45g, but the new one shows 43g). In some things this may not be that important, but with calorie dense things like nuts/oils/cheese etc I wanted to know exactly how much I was using!

So that's my tip - make sure it will show each gram and not round up/down!

Also I often put my plate on the scale and reset it to zero for each new item I add to the plate - so much easier than weighing in a separate container! - So make sure the scale you're buying will allow you to do that.
  • jocooper43016
    jocooper43016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use the EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale from Amazon. 4.5 stars from almost 7000 reviews. Been using it a year or more and it works great!
  • vincelaccro
    vincelaccro Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    starfrit digital scale for 15$ other scales had options to calculate calories and such but thats the purpose
    of mfp.... so I didn't need to spend more
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in and say, I got the Taylor brand digital scale.....and the only complaint I have, is it kills batteries.....lol. and it takes those darn CR2032 flat watch style batteries....heh. And they're like 3 bucks......I've been changing the batteries about once a month.....

The other bad part, it seems to have a battery status indicator.....but only illuminates when the batteries are "Lo" and I have to keep resetting, removing, re inserting, turning on, turning off, the scale until it finally thinks the batteries have been changed....lol.

I got mine from Walmart too, it wasn't the cheapest, but wasn't the most expensive either......it's the Taylor 11 lb Model number 3844-9....

The other thing too, when I'm weighing "light" stuff like chia seeds.....sometimes it won't "detect" a 1 gram incremement lol....so I'll have to remove my bowl/cup, and put it back on the scale, and it'll "re weigh" it.....kinda funky......
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I have a Salter which does ounces and grams. Great for weighing food and tiny cats (we had a couple that were super tiny when we got them - had to track their food intake too to be sure they were gaining!)