Gastric Banding

Options
I had a (VGB) Vertical Gastric Banding in 2001. I lost 140 pounds. As life went on, I put on about 30 lbs. I was still in my comfort zone. Then, I quit smoking in Feb. 2010. I've gained another 30 lbs? I know my weight gain is based in What I choose to eat, rather than How Much. I still can't eat much at a time. Which brings me to my question/comment. Now that I'm actively working on weight loss again, I'm making healthy choices in food. There are some foods that I just don't tolerate (like red meat, bread, pasta) the list goes on, but I won't take up the space. So...when I log my food intake for the day and my fat & calories are calculated, it says I need to take in more calories. My calories are low because I can't eat "normal" serving sizes. Anyone out there have this issue? What do you think about it?

Replies

• Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I do this every day. I live off of soup and slim fast the majority of the time. I'm a vegetarian by choice but because I don't keep down meat due to my band it helped me make the decision. I also have a hard time with pasta and bread also. My calories are always way low and stuff too. Add me if you want!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    You adjust your calorie intake based on what you feel (or consult your nutritionist) is the right amount. I would still say your body needs the minimum of 1200 calories per day to function ..
  • mfontanez77
    mfontanez77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had lap band back in October 2010 and there are days that when I get to the end of the day I have calories left over. (out of 1600) I now eat 3 meals and 2 snacks during the day and it has helped bring me closer to the goal for the day and I'm still losing weight. I prefer slower weight loss so that my body can adjust better, initially I was losing too fast and it freaked me out. I was over 100 pounds overweight and I want to hopefully give my body enough time to allow my skin to recover and not be so lose. We'll see, time will tell. :) You can friend me if you'd like.
  • Raihaanah
    Raihaanah Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i use to feel the same way, remember, this is not a site just for us, its for everyone who's trying to change their life with eating, exercise, or losing weight.so whatever u eat and how much, just still log it and this will help u stay in ur own calorie goal to help u lose according to ur surgery post -op rules.So stay positive and dont let that discourage u..Enjoy ur Day!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Raihaanah
    Raihaanah Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    hi, hows the skin toning coming along? im having that problem Surgery date was 6/22/10
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is for you to visit your Nutritionist and see how many calories she wants your calorie goal to be set at. You can adjust your daily goal to reflect their suggestion. If you are exercising I would log it under strength training so it doesn't alter you calorie in-take.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    hello, my name is kat bandster as of 9/1/09
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS on NOT smoking..............You have added 30 years or more, just by NOT SMOKING.............I know your weight is important, and good luck to you losing the weight you previously lost, but you need a medal for not smoking

I have nothing but respect for folks who quit.......Lost my dad to lung cancer, he smoked thru out the day, and I had asthma when I was a kid , so it was hard on the family.............

You are to be commended for not smoking..............Lloyd
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've had my band is April 2005.
  • LindaEM
    LindaEM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I had the Gastric Bypass April 22, 2009 I have lost 142 lbs so far when I found this site I talked to my Doctor about the calories i should be taking in and he gave me some guide lines to follow so that is what I do I can only eat about one cup of food at a time. I dont even look at the calories I have left at the end of the day because there is no way I can eat enough food to take them all in. As long as you and your Doctor keep up with your health you will do great. I love this site I can see what I eat every day and just how much exercise I am getting. Good luck in your weight loss.
  • savvynurse
    Options
    I have GBS in 2003...I lost 100 lbs and 8 yrs out i have put back on 40 of it. I started at the beginning of this year at work with the Biggest loser at work... got me kick started... found this sight about two weeks ago... looking forward to the 160s again
    Add me if you would like
  • peeboo
    peeboo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel hopeless where the "extra skin" is concerned. I weight 276 Lbs before I banded (didn't have the lap band back then). I'm only 5'4 and when I hit 140 lbs I had a lot of flab. I guess it might have something to do with my age and heredity. Some people just have better elasticity. I can look okay in clothes when I'm at a good weigh. I still think I'm a fright in a swimming suite;-) But the only ones that see me naked are me & the hubby, and he doesn't care. I wish I didn't.
  • peeboo
    peeboo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm not going to worry about it. I don't see a doctor any more in aftercare. It's been too long ago for me. My regular doctor is from a women's clinic though and she's helping me look at some of my nutrition issues. I guess I'll just do what works for me. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • ladyluz216
    ladyluz216 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    VGB since 2006 the lowest I ever got was 148 now 180. Diet ideas needed.