Within my calories but still feel guilty?

Options
I have been extremely diligent with my diet for the past two months, constantly saying "no" to dessert, dinners out, drinks with friends- everything. For me, when I'm on a diet and exercise program, it's difficult to enjoy treats in moderation, so I prefer to more or less cut them out until I'm at a comfortable point in my weight loss, at which point I'll slowly introduce them back in. Anyway, I caved today at work and had a piece of chocolate cake leftover from a friend's wedding shower. I don't think I had eaten enough today, and was looking at several hours until dinnertime. When I calculated it in (and I entered in 2 pieces of cake into my food log in case the estimate was low) I'm still within my calories for the day, using my exercise calories (which I almost never do). Why do I feel so much guilt and regret for that silly little piece of cake, when it doesn't even put me over my limit for the day? Does anyone else struggle with these feelings??

Replies

• gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i think that everyone feels this way to an extent, but if ur with in ur cals i would not give it to much thought. but if u r really concerned about it that much go for a walk tonight.
  • nikki91950
    Options
    hey! i have the same problem. i usually don't have the self control to incorporate treats into my daily calorie count, so i just stay away from them all together. i allow myself a cheat day once a week and splurge a bit on those days so i don't feel completely deprived of the things i love most. if i end up having something i normally wouldn't eat on a diet day, i feel so bad and guilty about it that it usually drives me to completely losing all control and just throwing everything out the window. you're just feeling guilty because it's not something you usually eat, and you're probably just mad at yourself for giving into temptation, even though you didn't go crazy. don't obsess over it or beat yourself up over it. it's just a piece of stupid cake, ya know?
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. My entire family goes out to eat once a week every week... I haven't gone with them in three weeks. They make me feel guilty for not wanting to spend family time but really I just don't want to deal the with torture of feeling guilty for eating something that probably isn't even bad for me (and fits into my calories) but I will feel guilty. I'm going to attemp to go this week but I'm working out before hand and I'm going to show up a tad late so I miss appetizers! Really we shouldn't feel guilty about food that fits in our calories but when you are trying so hard its completely understandable why we do this to ourselves...
  • renaconnor
    renaconnor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    OMG! I think we are twins. I'm the exact same way...becoming a hermit for the past months! I don't like to do cheat days...or count exercise calories and actually under eat every day. Today at work, Which Wich had a special...$3 sandwiches, and I ate one...not realizing the hot peppers would be an extra 130 calories!!! Now I'm at 1070 calories and its only lunch time. I'm usually done eating for the day at this caloric intake. With my daily exercise regimen and a light lunch I will still be under calories, but I feel guilty for that sandwich!! It's constantly on my mind! I think this is probably good for our bodies tho...to kind of wake it up from the normal, boring diet and exercise plan we've gotten so use to!!! Keep your head up and push yourself alittle harder on your workouts for the next few days!!
  • ladyreadsalot
    Options
    First of all consider this: Chocolate is good for you! And the darker the better, so I hope it was a really dark chocolately cake. But more than that is that I believe too many of us feel guilty when we eat something. I can see feeling guilty about committing a robbery or abusing a friend or a child, but eating a piece of cake? While I don't think we need reward ourselves with food, neither do I feel that we need to punish ourselves by withholding a food. You are wise to consider what you ate and to give thought about staying within your calorie guidelines. But, please don't feel guilty for eating a piece of cake.
  • Zinz182
    Options
    hey! i have the same problem. i usually don't have the self control to incorporate treats into my daily calorie count, so i just stay away from them all together. i allow myself a cheat day once a week and splurge a bit on those days so i don't feel completely deprived of the things i love most. if i end up having something i normally wouldn't eat on a diet day, i feel so bad and guilty about it that it usually drives me to completely losing all control and just throwing everything out the window. you're just feeling guilty because it's not something you usually eat, and you're probably just mad at yourself for giving into temptation, even though you didn't go crazy. don't obsess over it or beat yourself up over it. it's just a piece of stupid cake, ya know?

Thank you! It IS just a piece of stupid cake, isn't it? :-D
  • Zinz182
    Options
    First of all consider this: Chocolate is good for you! And the darker the better, so I hope it was a really dark chocolately cake. But more than that is that I believe too many of us feel guilty when we eat something. I can see feeling guilty about committing a robbery or abusing a friend or a child, but eating a piece of cake? While I don't think we need reward ourselves with food, neither do I feel that we need to punish ourselves by withholding a food. You are wise to consider what you ate and to give thought about staying within your calorie guidelines. But, please don't feel guilty for eating a piece of cake.

This made me want to cry, you are SO right. Thank you!
  • katyyy1
    Options
    I was just about to start a thread with the exact same title! I just had an English muffin with Cheese (weighed out) and feel awful for it but when I input it I'm still loads under on my calories, fat, protein and carbs!
    Some days I just really struggle to get anywhere near the 1200 goal without having something I know is very calorie heavy but I still lose weight!

Miracle diet ;)
  • Zinz182
    Options
    I guess we just need to lighten up, huh? (pun intended :) )
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You've made the food item taboo to you. You no longer allow yourself the enjoyment of dessert, so when you have it you feel guilty. When I started MFP I never eliminated anything entirely from my diet, I just found new ways to enjoy it. As a person that absolutely LOVES cake I've gone through a few different things that I allow myself. I've had the Hostess 100 cal packs, had the Weight Watchers cakes, and made cake mix/diet soda cupcakes that come out to about 120 cals after I frost them. All of these items fit easily into my daily calories (though, of course the sugar on those days has to be watched more closely elsewhere) so I slip them in when and where I can. It keeps me from ever getting to a point of craving something so badly that I blow out my calories entirely just to calm that desire and it also makes it so that when I do enjoy something richer or more decadent that I don't feel guilty. Because it's not a taboo to eat delicious cakey awesomeness but it's just an added bonus when it's really high quality (and worth those extra calories and time in the gym)
  • lisamarie27
    Options
    Hey, guilt is completely natural. But what we shouldnt do is feel that we should punish ourselves because of a one off. I tend to stick to healthy snacking on fruit but if i want a chocolate i'm having it. Depriving myself makes me want it more and i'll get to the point where i'll eat 10 just to fill that craving. Go out for dinner once and a while too. It'll teach you to moderate eating and your being sociable at the same time. Hiding away til you have lost the weight is not healthy. After a night out just reduce the food you eat split throughtout the rest of the week and put in some extra excersise. No harm done then.:happy:
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Thank you! Just what I was thinking.
  • craigfinch
    Options
    i feel what your saying, i think all of us do at times... but try not stress too much about it because its been proven that if you stress about what you shouldn't have eaten when your trying to diet or create a life change you will increase your cortisol levels which is a bad thing for weight loss, like someone said in a previous comment just go for a walk it will balance out. good luck to you
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Couldn't of said it better myself and really needed to hear this was beating myself over a chocolate covered strawberry!
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do too....Glad to see you have gotten a lot of great responses!
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    of course, because its quality NOT qauntity