HRM

Options
I was considering looking into an HRM and was wondering how accurate any given one is. Are the watch ones enough or do I need to do the whole chest strap thing, etc, to get a fairly accurate readout? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on it, I'd just like to have a better idea of how accurate MFP's calorie rates are, etc.

Replies

• InsatiateHope
    Options
    I have a very basic wristband type HRM by Sportline, and it allows me to get accurate heart-rate readings during my workouts; I just make sure and press my finger to the sensor to adjust the rate every five minutes or so. I set it to measure calories burned and It seems to correlate well to the MFP exercise calorie estimates. The only benefit I can see in the chest-trap models is that you don't have to remember to "refresh" your heartrate as you move thru various levels of effort, but this has become second nature to me with my wrist monitor. Hope that helps!
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think they ALL use chest straps. My last one bit the dust so I am in the market and would like to hear about which one is best as well. I am considering the Suunto M5. The last one I had was a Polar F6. The Polars are good, but with the model I have, when the batteries go in the chest strap, it has to be replaced, instead of just replacing the batteries.