bulk and cut question

Options
So I've lost 30 pounds in the past year from just countng calories and very little exercise. My goal was to be 115 pounds with a flat stomach. So I reached that and still have fat. I'm now kicking myself in the butt for not knowing what I know now about lifting or some sort of resistance training and how it transforms ones body. So for the past month I was depressed about my situation and stopped counting calories and gained 3 pounds :( I feel like the hunger has got the best of me and always cave into cravings. So not to pit myself down, I realized I would never get rid of the pooch even if I got too thin, so I consider this a 'bulk' so that when I cut down again, I'll like what I see. However seeing the scale go up scares me. Are there such things as a mini bulk or how long do I need to continue? My problem area is looking huge :(

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Well the purpose of a bulk/cut cycle isn't to get super skinny and thin, it's so that you can get to a low body fat (cut) and then eat above maintenance needs to gain weight, ideally mostly from muscle by working out properly (bulk).

If you have specific body composition goals in mind, then I'd say just eat at your maintenance for now (you can use MFP's settings and put it as maintain) until you forge a better control over your eating patterns. If you're already very slim for your height and have a higher body fat, then consider bulking with an addition 100-200 calories above your maintenance needs (lower cals = slower bulk), make sure you are eating lots of protein (0.8g per total weight in lbs is usually fine), and start on a good weight training routine. Since you're totally new to lifting, you might want to consider a pre-designed program like StrongLifts or New Rules of Lifting.

Otherwise, you can choose 0.5lbs/week goal for fat loss, log weight lifting under cardio and eat half the cals back, and eat the appropriate protein.

But unless you are very short, you probably have some body image issues. I mean, your avatar cartoon itself is a bit scary just in terms of how overly slim the after image is - assuming this was your goal, then you're probably not cut out for a cut/bulk cycle and should instead try to improve your outlook and image issues.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am short, I'm only 5 feet and ya I need a new avatar lol thx for the advice

Edt: my goal here is only to become fit, not thin or muscley ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Well the purpose of a bulk/cut cycle isn't to get super skinny and thin, it's so that you can get to a low body fat (cut) and then eat above maintenance needs to gain weight, ideally mostly from muscle by working out properly (bulk).

If you have specific body composition goals in mind, then I'd say just eat at your maintenance for now (you can use MFP's settings and put it as maintain) until you forge a better control over your eating patterns. If you're already very slim for your height and have a higher body fat, then consider bulking with an addition 100-200 calories above your maintenance needs (lower cals = slower bulk), make sure you are eating lots of protein (0.8g per total weight in lbs is usually fine), and start on a good weight training routine. Since you're totally new to lifting, you might want to consider a pre-designed program like StrongLifts or New Rules of Lifting.

Otherwise, you can choose 0.5lbs/week goal for fat loss, log weight lifting under cardio and eat half the cals back, and eat the appropriate protein.

But unless you are very short, you probably have some body image issues. I mean, your avatar cartoon itself is a bit scary just in terms of how overly slim the after image is - assuming this was your goal, then you're probably not cut out for a cut/bulk cycle and should instead try to improve your outlook and image issues.
    awesome!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I am short, I'm only 5 feet and ya I need a new avatar lol thx for the advice

Edt: my goal here is only to become fit, not thin or muscley ;)

That's not very specific though. You need to have more concrete goals in mind in order to nkow how to eat/train for your goals.

E.g. I want to be muscular. So that's something, but that's still not THAT specific. So I go further into it - I want to reach a low body fat in order to have better muscular definition. Now I know that I have to train and eat a certain way in order to minimize muscle loss and maximize fat loss.

But fitness isn't the same as weight. You can have fitness goals and weight goals and they can be totally different. So my goals above are for my aesthetics, for my weight. My fitness goals are more specific, with goals for how much I want to be able to lift and improving energy and stamina etc.

So does fit for you mean low body fat? Does it mean lots of energy? Does it mean just really small without any specific body composition goals?
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    my goal is to change my body. i want a small flat toned stomach. not a six pack. i want nice toned legs thats not musclar. i just dont want to jiggle anymore.
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    ive read the link of how to get a nice stomach, its just that i found that my stomach was not budging and ribs were showing, so im thinking of doing a mini bulk, though i think now my problem area just looks worse than ever. how should i go about this? should i just do a small cut?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ana gave you some great information. If you have never lifted before, I wouldn't recommend jumping into a bulk cycle just yet (you can of course but you may not achieve the results you are after, unless you are very underweight in which case go for it)
    I would start eating closer to maintenance for awhile and lifting. Start lifting... heavy... heavier than you think. Ana mentioned some great programs.

I am no expert though...different things work for different people. Body transformations take time.. they can take months to a year. But don't be afraid of a little muscle! You won't look "bulky" I promise, women don't turn into body builders without years of intense, focused training.
    Good luck!
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    thank you!