Who does HIIT on the elliptical? Can you tell me what you d

Options
I would like to try high intensity interval training on the elliptical. I was just looking for some ideas. What do you do? How long is your high intensity interval, how long is your recovery interval, etc.

In doing the C25K program, I'm doing intervals on the treadmill already. On days that I don't do the treadmill, I do the elliptical.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Jess0218
    Jess0218 Posts: 138
    Options
    Hi there. I do HIIT on the treadmill, I warm up about 2 minutes then for a minute I run at 7speed and for 30 seconds to a minute I use speed 6 and continue back and forth for 20 minutes :) I do it 3 x's a week and was so glad to be told about this because just knowing it's only 20 minutes totally doesnt bum me out. haha Good luck to you!!:smile:
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I editied my original post. I meant to say I would like ideas for HIIT on the elliptical, not the treadmill . Thank you for your treadmill idea though, I will try that when I'm finished with C25K. :)
  • Jess0218
    Jess0218 Posts: 138
    Options
    I editied my original post. I meant to say I would like ideas for HIIT on the elliptical, not the treadmill . Thank you for your treadmill idea though, I will try that when I'm finished with C25K. :)

Oh ok, good deal :smile:
  • mwkinney
    mwkinney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Jenn what kind of elliptical are you using? At my gym the Precor's have a "weight loss" program that is 4 minutes of light training similar to a job and switches to 4 minutes of high intensity training with a high resistance. This is what I typically do for 33 minutes on my off days of c25k.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a cybex arc at your gym? If you do I have a great one for yah
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    Options
    Jenn what kind of elliptical are you using? At my gym the Precor's have a "weight loss" program that is 4 minutes of light training similar to a job and switches to 4 minutes of high intensity training with a high resistance. This is what I typically do for 33 minutes on my off days of c25k.

I will have to pay more attention today when I go, LOL! I will see what brand they are. If they are Precor, I will try the weight loss program. THANKS!
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    Options
    Do you have access to a cybex arc at your gym? If you do I have a great one for yah

Ummmm...I feel stupid...but I'm not sure! I have to look them up to see what they look like but I'm gonna guess probably not. I think I might know what machine you are talking about and I know that they don't have one there. Bummer!
  • polo571
    Options
    Put it this way. If you dont feel like yah want to throw up the first time you do HIIt training you probably arent doing it right. Just a suggestion
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    Options
    Just googled it...I don't have one of those at my gym! :(
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Polo571 has that right! I love the elliptical, but since I have been using the arc, it just does not compare! Good luck!
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    Options
    Put it this way. If you dont feel like yah want to throw up the first time you do HIIt training you probably arent doing it right. Just a suggestion

Oh my....that is intense!! Ok, I will remember that!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I put it on random. Then I also increase the level every few minutes too.
  • alliosn1234
    Options
    I warm up for 2 mins at about 60 rpm's and then for about 20-25 mins I do 80-85 rpms for 30 seconds then I do 60-65 rpms for 1:30 seconds and the eliptical at my gym I do it on resistance 7

When I get off my legs feel like Jello and I sweat buckets to a atribute that to a good workout
  • polo571
    Options
    Hey Jenn I started out by doing sprints of 15 seconds and resting 45 seconds and now I do 30 second sprints and rest 30 seconds. Also make sure that when you first do it you go slowly. I would say no more then 6 sprints your first time. like I said if you dont feel like throwing up or your muscles arent burning your not doing it right. Also make sure you do it every other day. I do mine in the morning without eating but I make sure to drink 20 ounces of water before I go to the gym. If you have a heart rate monitor make sure to use it. Please follow up with me and let me know how it goes.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I do my own manual interval training on the elliptical. There are a lot of ways you can incorporate HIIT into it. One way is to greatly increase the resistance for about 2 minute bursts at a time, then do the same number of recovery minutes at a lower intensity, and repeat for about 20 minutes. Another is to randomly throw in increased bursts of speed and leisurely paces in-between a longer medium-paced routine. One other way is to randomly go backwards on the elliptical for a few minutes, then go back to striding forward. A combination of all 3 of those could also add intensity.

As for me, I use a Reebok R1500 at home and though it sounds crazy, I'm on a constant level 12 [highest] resistance from start to finish. And that includes warm-up and cool-down. Since I'm used to doing such a high resistance level, I just go as fast as I can [with proper form] for about 1 - 2 minutes, then recover for about 2 - 3 minutes. I repeat that for about 10 - 15 minutes, then go at a medium pace for 5 - 8 minutes, then amp it up again. Randomly, I'll just use my arms to propel me during the high-intensity bursts, also for my recovery periods. And while my elliptical doesn't calculate speed, it does calculate how many calories I burn per minute. So, my medium-paced calorie burn is around 32 - 33 cal/min; high-intensity burn is around 36 - 40 cal/min; leisurely pace is around 29 - 30 cal/min.

That's pretty much the only advice I can give, as it works for me. Hopefully other people can pitch in some other ideas.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all for you advice and ideas! We will see how it goes today! Getting ready to head to the gym now!
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    Options
    Ok, tonight I did 30 min on the elliptical. 5 min warm up, then 30 seconds at 80 RPM, 90 seconds at around 50 RPM repeatedly up until I hit 25 min, then I did a 5 min cool down. I had the program on "random" because for some reason the "fat burn" setting wasn't working (it wasn't reading my heart rate). It definitely got me sweating but I think I could have gone at it harder. I didn't feel like I was going to puke, unfortunately. My legs felt like they had boulders attached to them tonight. It's like they were hard to get moving. I hate days like that! I still had a decent burn cause I did strength training too but I'm a little disappointed in myself. :(
  • hedgertiger
    hedgertiger Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The best HIIT session I do on the elliptical is very simple.
    Warmup for 5 mins
    Set the level to about level 8 (or a a quite easy level). go for 1 minute
    ramp it up to level 10 for 1 minute and "sprint" as fast as you can go (take note of the speed). go back to level 8 (base level) for 1 minute recovery. then go up level 12, base level, level 13, base level, level 14, base level etc until youve been working for 20-24 minutes. The high interval should always be done at full throttle trying to achieve the speed on the original first high interval (this isnt possible but gives a good target to aim for)
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump for later:wink: