How often do you weigh in?

Options

Replies

• DanaLash
    DanaLash Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm an obsessive kinda girl (I know, I know, not good!) so I weigh myself each morning. But, it keeps me focused. And I see consistent weight loss, so I'm ok with it. I've never done my measurements. I'd be interested in doing that, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. Plus, I'd be mad when all that was shrinking was my bust line, lol!
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm an obsessive kinda girl (I know, I know, not good!) so I weigh myself each morning. But, it keeps me focused. And I see consistent weight loss, so I'm ok with it. I've never done my measurements. I'd be interested in doing that, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. Plus, I'd be mad when all that was shrinking was my bust line, lol!

measurements are super easy! for women you measure you neck, waist (smallest part) and butt (widest part) with slight amount of tension (enough it isn't falling but not indenting your skin either). I always use the livestrong body fat calculator. it's very accurate! the gut and chest measurements are just for me, because the gut is for bragging rights and the chest is kind of out of curiousity (i've always had small boobs, they are finally the perfect size but my belly is even farther then my chest hahahahaha
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I measure my neck, waist, butt because that's how you determine body fat % but I also measure my gut and chest for comparison. I can't wait to not have a gut haha!
    This is something I actually might try because I might be able to be consistent. But I gave up on measuring because I obsessed too much over whether or not I was actually hitting the same places on my arm, thigh, chest, etc, each time. I couldn't measure progress, or trust my results.

This time around I'm not even weighing myself. I may start to at some point, but I also found that to be very discouraging, especially if I had what I thought was a good week and the scale did not agree. For now I'm just going by the way my clothes fit (including the ones I hope to fit into again!) my energy level and stamina. All NSVs. :)

pinterest had a chart about the 'right places to measure' i've always used the widest part. widest part of my thighs, widest part of my bicep/forearm, ect. because I'll always have a widestpart!! the only thing I did 'by the book' is for the BF% :) I find it better than the scale because If I do great on muscle mass and the scale goes up I'm gonna be heartbroken haha.
  • godswill206
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a day. It's pretty interesting to see how weight fluctuates throughout the day and week.
  • If i take a shower in the morning then I'll weigh myself. But if I take a shower later in the day, as I often do when I don't have work, then I'll wait. I don't like weighing myself after morning because I know it'll give me a higher reading.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have tried many different ways of weighing and this works best for me.

1st I am tracking everything I eat every single day (so far 28 days straight)

2nd I weigh every morning about the same time on the same scale and naked.
    I do not worry about fluctuations up and do not record them. I only record the losses
    so when I look at my weight report I see success after success.

3rd. I keep a separate spreadsheet not of my weight but of the date and the calorie count for that day
    I can see what days I have been on target and what days I have been over and by how much.

I am having more success this time and feel better about myself than I ever have before.

You may have to try different approaches to find what works best for you

Good luck with your weight loss journey :smile:
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I do it weekly. Although I do step on the scale from time to time between weigh-ins, I don't log those.

Weighing every day would be too much for me. Weight fluctuates and I don't want to be happy or sad from one good day where maybe I have more or less water weight than usual. I would feel tempted to eat extra if my weight happened to be low or to do another workout if my weight was higher than usual.

Weighing monthly is what I did last year. It worked for a while but I also wasn't tracking calories so I don't feel like I lost as much as I could have. I ended up staying at the same weight for the second half of the year and not losing any more.

I weigh once a week, the same day each week, first thing in the morning. This is enough to keep me on track without being obsessive and constantly weighing myself. If I gain a little or stay the same I know I wasn't really at a deficit that week and can be more careful and/or exercise more the next week. But too long between weigh-ins doesn't let me track my progress as well (weight can creep up without me realizing it) and weighing in every day would be frustrating for me.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Weekly weight and measure. Also keep track of other meaningful stats like cycling distance and weight lifted.
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    On Sunday morning.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I measure around my belly button, hips and thigh. Those are the places I "care" about seeing a change the most. I know you can't spot lose but those areas I am most self conscious about.

Do you have a belly button diameter goal? MFP should add a "Belly Button Diameter" in their Goals settings.
    :smile: :wink: :wink:
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    I didn't have a scale for years cause one of my kids has an eating disorder, but DH said we should get one as I've stuck with this about a month, and everyone in the house gets on it every time we go to the restroom. :laugh:
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I weigh in almost daily. I like to keep track of my trends and fluctuations and make connections (oh that day I spiked because of this, so I need to watch out for that). It was hard but it really gives a nice graph to look at.

I weigh in first thing in the morning.. when I can remember. I do it to keep track of the fluctuations, to know what I need to change.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week , but only typically record the weight every two weeks.
  • RunnerStephe
    Options
    Never
  • rutbatavs
    rutbatavs Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh in pretty much daily also unless I've just pigged out the night/day before. I see some fluctuation but it's nice to see when I maintain and when I lose. For me it takes a lot for the tape to show any changes. It can take up to 5lbs to see a difference, which discourages me.
  • Running_down_a_dream
    Options
    In the first week I do it every day. the water loss makes me feel good. then about once a week usually on a friday.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You should really try taping!! Body fat is so much more accurate than BMI! My goal is based on body fat, and scale is just kind of it's buddy to keep me entertained, Scott I've heard a lot of people doing the weigh in daily but I tried it and what ended up happening with me was I'd fluctuate 1-2 a day. So I would workout even harder and eat the bare minimum of calories, then the next day it was back where it should be so I do the same thing, to lose a pound. but at the end of the week I would feel terrible, weak and exhausted and the scale would be up or down a pound of two hahaha. I was thinking for me maybe every 5 days, every week, every other week. Or maybe just having official weigh ins biweekly (not near PMS time haha!) not sure what I want to do yet. :)

That's because you completely do not have a clue what's going on with the fluctuations. You think its fat but its often not. Its just water and its not permanent. It goes up and down through the course of the day and is at its lowest in the morning. And then it goes up and down through the course of a month. You just need to average out your daily weigh ins if you are anxious about them but I just keep tabs on the general trend.

If people could only try to understand what's happening a bit more instead of freaking out all the time, you'd find it easier.

I mean i think weighing weekly should be pretty worrying too. I mean if its up, you'd think that's a whole week gone to waste. Or you'd spend half the week looking anxiously forward to weighin in day. When you weigh daily you don't have to be anxious at all. Well not when you can account for the extra weight or drastic loss.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    It depends. When I feel I've lost weight then I'll weigh in. I plan to have a little celebration was I've lost 10 % of my starting weight.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    First thing every morning. If I forget, I don't weigh until the next morning due to the fact that weight seems to increase by 5 or more pounds during the day.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I like to see the fluctuations and it keeps me on track.