weight loss pet peeves

Options
mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
what things tick you off from other people concerning weight loss? for me its gotta be excuses and negative self talk. dont call yourself a big fat whatever or lardbutt etc drives me crazy. and the excuses the way i see it if you want too see a change youll make a change. ok off my soapbox

Replies

• clarmst1
    Options
    When people complain about not being able to lose anymore weight even though they are exercising....oh and did I mention that they are saying this as they eat a big mac from McDonalds??!! LOL Annoying!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    ehh, everyone is different and has the right to be as assy or as brilliant as they want when it comes to their own personal weightloss so I try the live and let live approach but I find the starvation mode alarmists really silly, it would take weeks of severe malnutrition to go into starvation mode, not a diet of 1100 or 1200 calories a day.
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve since starting this is how everyone is all of a sudden a weight loss expert and they give you really bad advice. That's not a dig at anyone here, these are people in my family and people I work with.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed by the people who are "too busy" to work out. MAKE TIME by cutting out TV or waking up earlier or being more productive or whatever. There is NO excuse, you just have to get your priorities straight.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time to exercise"

I have gone off about this one several times. If *I* can make time to exercise, I firmly believe ANYONE can. I have a very full life; full-time work, commute, kids, husband, cooking, crafting, cleaning. Oh, did I mention that I am also a full-time college student? And I manage to get in an hour or more a day. If *I* can do it, anyone can. Period.

If you don't want to exercise, just own it and say that!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    People who only eat 800 calories of processed garbage a day and exercise 2000 calories and after about a week say, I don't understand why I haven't lost weight and why I feel like crap. *SMACK* You DO have to eat - (quality food, mind you), and you DO have to be patient and diligent, ya know!

*Not to be misconstrued as a 'starvation mode' comment. I don't really buy into the starvation mode jazz. But the body does need sufficient quality intake to respond favorably :)
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I hate excuses, too, but as a person losing weight, my pet peeves lean more towards the people who scoff and say I can't do it. I've already proven otherwise, but there are some people out there who for some reason roll their eyes when I start talking about it. I usually only start talking about it when someone else brings it up first, so if you don't want to hear about it, STFU!
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    People who tell me that the only reason I've lost weight is because I "workout for a living". Really? I mean an hour a day 6 days a week is not too much time to avoid being obese!? I think they just wish they could find the drive. When I say "just do it", they act like it's the hardest thing in the world. I feel like if they can get on Facebook for hours or watch sitcoms, don't comment about my exercise habits :) Which is why I love MFP, because you all understand what it takes! OK, that was MY soapbox moment :)
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When my husband (who is thin as a rail but has a terrible family history of heart disease) complains that he can't exercise much because his knee hurts, when I'm the one who has had 3 ACL resconstructions and arthritis in my left knee and am on week 3 of Insanity.

Get on the bike, or elliptical DEAR!!!
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It makes me mad when people that have never had a problem with their weight try to give me advice! I've lost 28.4 pounds in 15 weeks thru diet and exercise. Although I was recently plagued by a plateau, if you haven't been here, don't try to tell me how to do it!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I really wish this site had a "like" button, I would "like" all of the previous posts...MFP community, Yall are AWESOME! Keep up the great work!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve since starting this is how everyone is all of a sudden a weight loss expert and they give you really bad advice. That's not a dig at anyone here, these are people in my family and people I work with.

That's mine too...lol!
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    I really wish this site had a "like" button, I would "like" all of the previous posts...MFP community, Yall are AWESOME! Keep up the great work!

LIKE :)
  • lrodriguez83
    Options
    When people do not push themselves.
    By no means overdo it, but your body can take a lot more than you think!!
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    My biggest peeve is someone saying "Muscle weighs more than fat"

Ummm....no it doesn't....1lb = 1lb = 1lb
  • IzLuMomma
    IzLuMomma Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When a person who is a rail and has been a rail all their life feels the need to "diet" to lose weight! I always feel bad for the person because there must be a psychological issue going on! :noway:
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    When a peron asks me for my help and then we go to the gym together and I show them exactly what worked for me and when they find out its to hard they modify exactly how things feel comfortable. If my way worked I wouldnt be fat. We need someone else driving our bus.
  • renaconnor
    renaconnor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is seeing people on MFP being mean or cynical on the posts!!! If a person has a question on a taboo or fad diet, and they start a thread innocently enough and get BLASTED!!! Its just awful; we're here to support each other, not rip each other to shreds when someone says something we don't think is right.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ehh, everyone is different and has the right to be as assy or as brilliant as they want when it comes to their own personal weightloss so I try the live and let live approach but I find the starvation mode alarmists really silly, it would take weeks of severe malnutrition to go into starvation mode, not a diet of 1100 or 1200 calories a day.

This is definitely mine. You're on this site for weight loss or maintenance. If you happen to only eat 900 calories and now you're "absolutelyy full, how will I ever make up the difference??" Its kind of ridiculous. Just as you might have a day where you drank a glass of wine and are at 1400, you might also have those days where you eat less. This is not a problem. The goal isn't to have a rigid 1200 with the same amount of exercise. The idea is diversity and 1200 be an AVERAGE.

If you're on this site, then you know how easy it is to pack on calories, because you know the calries in everything. That said, 300, even 400 calories could come in a handful if you feel you really need to make it back to 1200. Quit asking us "what can I eat?????"
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I don't like when people have the one right answer. Whether its the paleo, vegan, clean eating, or any of the other millions of "diets" people use. I'm not saying they don't work, but they don't work for everyone. We all have to use what works for us as individuals. I don't like when people just know their way is THE way.

I've said this a million times, but if we had all the right answers, none of us would need to be here.