Former ED, frustrated and confused after MONTHS of hard work

Options
Thanks everyone who has opened up on here and shared their personal health stories. A lot of questions have been answered for me just by browsing threads. I haven't posted yet, but I'm at my wits end and could really use some advice and encouragement.

I battled anorexia/bulimia in high school for a year, then progressed into full-fledged bulimia that was pretty bad from age 15-19. At my thinnest I was 118, which is very small for my 5'6, hourglass (D-cup and wide hips) frame. From 19-27, the bulimia was mainly under control but I would relapse once every month or two for anywhere between two days to two weeks. Now, it's under control and I have only had a couple of relapses in the past three years.

Around age 25, I tipped the scales at 165 and decided to do something about it the healthy way. I was doing cardio and strength training 4-6 days a week, eating better, and drinking less sugary alcohol. After two years of hard, healthy work, I got down to 138 and a 4/6. A few months later, I met my now-husband. I kept the weight off at first, but after many dinners out, getting to know each other over glasses of wine, brunches, ordering pizza, etc.,for two years I was back up into the 160s and an 8/10 (sometimes 12).

We got engaged April 2013. In January 2014, I re-joined a gym, and hired a personal trainer that works with me once a week. I was tracking my calories, exercising (cardio and strength), but didn't lose as much as I had hoped for the wedding. In fact, I think I only lost about 5 pounds from February to May.

After the honeymoon, I wanted to recommit myself to getting back in better shape and losing more weight. Since June, I've been working out about 5 times a week, doing strenuous cardio and regimented strength training workouts. I've been tracking calories every day and average between 1300 and 1900, depending on how much I exercised that day and sometimes going over for special occasions. I bought a FitBit and have been walking at least 10,000 steps a day. I've been packing my lunches, eating more protein and less fat & carbs, walking for at least an hour a day on top of my gym workouts. I will still occasionally have a "splurge" day once a week where I allow myself one unhealthy indulgence (for example, tonight - 2 slices of thin crust pizza when I normally would do a salad).

After 3 months of no weigh-ins with my trainer and not measuring my progress, when I went on WednesdayI weighed in at 171!!!!!! My waist, breasts, arms, calf, and thigh measurements were all higher than they were in June. I'm in smaller sizes for SOME of my clothes but bigger in some others. I FEEL like I am toning up and pulling in, and FEEL smaller... but the number on the scale and on the measuring tape and dress tag doesn't lie.

What. The. Heck!!!!!!

Thinking back on the MONTHS of hard work I have put in sweating, tracking, burning, planning -- this was a major set-back for me. I feel like I am doing all of the right things and just continue to gain weight and inches.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do I need to do to get back on track?! It's so frustrating to see that months of hard work have put me with bigger measurements and a higher weight than when I was doing absolutely nothing physical and eating horribly.

For anyone thinking this could be a thyroid issue (which it might), I think I can rule that out. My mother's side of the family has the Multiple Endocrine Neosplasia Syndrome gene (which is thyroid related) -- it killed my grandmother and aunt. My grandmother, mom, aunt, and two cousins all have tested positive for the disease. I got tested in college and DO NOT have the gene, miraculously. I don't think it's thyroids, but it could be... there may be another gene I'm battling.

I need some help finding my motivation again and finding answers. If all this hard work is doing the opposite of what I want... why bother?

Replies

• PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'd bet anything that those weekly splurges and special occasions have probably been partly to blame. I also wonder if you're tracking your calories accurately and/or if maybe you're eating too may calories back after exercising.
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The first thing I would tame was the weekly splurges. I'm not saying that they are bad! However, you don't mention if they are fitting within your calorie goals. If they are, then that isn't the problem. However, if they are truly "extra" then that could be the problem. Even one cheat meal that is unaccounted for a week can make a dent in your deficit.

The other issue might be if you aren't weighing and measuring everything you eat. You shouldn't be measuring anything solid with cups or spoons. Instead you should weigh on a food scale. For example, I eat a lot of bread and I found out that the newest kind I bought could be way off on the serving size. It says 1 slice, but I have had one slice weigh as much as 1.8 slices (usually they are closer to 1.2). Anyway, if you eat a lot of something that is "off" in the nutritional information like this, it can make a huge difference, especially when you are also having cheat meals and/or have a small deficit to begin with.

Good luck.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I know for former EDs weighing can be a trigger but it's really hard to get the scale moving in a down direction if you're not even tracking your weight.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Could you be pregnant????
  • carolinerva1
    Options
    Thanks for the responses already. It means a lot that people care enough to respond!

My "splurge" days are pretty negligible. I'm saying protein shake for breakfast Saturday morning, a good solid hour workout, lunch at home of something healthy less than 400 cals and then that evening will have 2 slices of pizza and a glass of wine. Nothing crazy. No binge eating ever. Just a less healthy but small portioned meal.

@sakuya3834 thanks for the suggestion for weighing things! That might help!

@Mariachicat I've been weighing in at home but not "officially" at the gym since June. I saw the numbers at home but was hoping a broken scale. No such luck!

@PurrlyGirl you could be right! I don't think I'm being too indulgent.... when I say "splurge" I mean working my *kitten* off that day at the gym and eating healthy for two meals, splurging for one - like having 2 slices of pizza or a few chicken wings for dinner instead of a third healthy meal. I'd like to think that one or two meals of splurging a week won't set me back when most of my meals are under 500 calories! But, I may need to take a second look at what I am consuming for every meal to make this work.
  • carolinerva1
    Options
    Lord I hope I am not pregnant!
  • ReneeDollarhide
    Options
    I know how you feel, I worked out for over 2 years and stayed on a plateau of 188lbs. the entire time! In fact, I started to get bulkier because I was lifting weights too strenously...the problem was though is that I was not logging my food, I thought I could guess things pretty accurately and I was either undereating (which slowed my metabolism) or overeating (not realizing how much I ate and thinking I was doing good) Now I AM NOT knocking weight training, if it hadn't been for that I would of gained fat and not muscle but because I was unintentionally overeating I was bulking up and not loosing any fat. It's easy to think that you are entitled to a lot of extra food because you worked out so hard. You are entitled to some food in moderation, yes, but it's easy to overlook a snack here and there and a little cream in your coffee...but it all adds up! And it can pretty quickly use up your calorie deficit that you worked so hard to get. Once I started to log my calories accurately on MFP, I slowly began to loose weight at the rate of about 1lb. a week and I am down to 176lbs. for a total of 12lbs. lost. in 21/2 months. (I lost 12lbs. also before I hit my 188lbs. plateau, I was 200 lbs. for an overall total of 22 lbs.) I know what you are going through, I thought I had a thyroid problem too. The weight wasn't coming off as easily as it had in the past and I was working sooo hard. But no, thyroid checked out okay when I went to the doctor. There are several things going on here that you have probably heard before...first of all, muscle weighs more then fat, so if you're lifting weights you can expect to gain muscle weight, (that's good because muscle burns fat in the long run) You may loose inches in your butt, legs and stomach, yet gain inches on your arms, shoulders and back. So as you said, you feel smaller but you weigh more. Your body is now more dense because of the muscle. Also, you may need to buckle down harder and be more accurate with your logging food. Unlike when you are "dieting" in an unhealthy fashion (where you loose water and lean muscle tissue and see a quick weight loss) when you are doing it in a healthy fashion, strength training, eating right and so on you are going to gain muscle weight at first which slows down the weight loss on the scale...sometimes even adding weight at first...but then comes the hard part, after the intitial weight gain (muscle) if you are eating at a calorie deficit of 3,500 a week (no fudging) you will slowly loose a pound of FAT a week. Yes, it is slow and not what you are probably use to but it WILL happen. Keep in mind when you strength train your muscles will retain some water weight, this is normal. Watch your measurements and BMI for a more accurate assessment of your progress. I would suggest you get your thyroid checked to put that question to rest first and then put yourself in a new mindset...this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. Keep working out diligently, ACCURATELY LOG ALL CALORIES (be mindful of EVERYTHING you put into your mouth so you can get an idea of where the "leaks" are, if any) and you should start to see slow but steady progress. Remember, a pound a week is only 4 a month, this can easily be masked by water retention and you think you aren't progressing even when you are! Have your trainer do a BMI for you and if you can get a nutritional plan that would do you well too. I hope this helps you in some way. I took the time to give a detailed response because I really do know the frustration you are feeling...it almost made me give up my commitment to a healthy lifestyle and I sense you are on the verge of that, please don't give up! You are on the verge of a breakthrough if you persist...don't let all your hard work go to waste!!! The change will come!:wink: P.S Pleased to report I've lost 3 more pounds when I weighed in today, so about 11/2 pounds a week since 2 weeks ago. for a total of 25lbs. P.S.S Also check your reports tab for weight loss so you get an idea of how long it's taking you to loose weight. Good luck!
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    As above, technically you don't have to do any exercise to lose weight, just try and eat at a (weekly) deficit.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ....it always amuses me - a lbs of muscles is heavier then a lbs of fat - It is an oximoron in itself. :laugh: A lbs of muscles has less volume then a lbs of fat, that's why you may not loose weight, but slim down some..:glasses:

...after your workouts chicken wings and pizza......you know how long of a work-out you gotta have to run that off. So, you may eat more then your exercised calories back and with your "splures" just eliminated your hard earned deficits of the week. often people underestimate how much they take-in with calories and overestimate how much they burn during exercise :indifferent: :tongue: :grumble:

As someone else stated, without a deficit you will stall or even gain weight even with a rediculous amount of exercise.

God luck!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Congrats on overcoming the ED--I hope you're proud, even though you may be dealing with eight concerns now. :) It's ridiculously easy to underestimate what we eat and over estimate our burn--which is enough to eliminate the deficit needed for weightloss. The part about your measurements getting smaller is important--you are working out effectively if you're shrinking in size and increasing muscle mass.

Have yu checked with a doc (not for pregnancy--saw your answer) but for endocrine testing--thyroid and sugar/insulin levels. If something internal is screwing with your metabolism, you may struggle more. Maybe a doc who understands bulimia and its impact on the body--I do work with students who have had some lingering health issues from years of bulimia.

Again, please don't let this frustration derail your accomplishment of overcoming the ED! Hang in there and don't give up, it'll work itself out. :)
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I would go to the doctor and do some tests just so you can at least rule that out! If nothings wrong there, I really have no idea why you aren't losing weight though. However, don't get discouraged- think of all the wonderful benefits you are giving your body in terms of health! Keep it up! Weight loss will come eventually (just make sure you don't undereat- 1300 is quite low). You can do it :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. See a therapist.

Then decide if you want to start tracking calories. People here get extremely obsessive about their food - measuring and weighing every bite they take. It might be very triggering for you to get into that.

Good luck.