Doing c25k but I feel like my muscles are too weak.

Options
So I've been doing c25k for a while now, and ever since I started I feel like my leg muscles are just way too weak.

After a while, my right leg really starts to hurt, before both my legs used to hurt but It's only the right one now, its pretty much around the muscle area down to my foot.

Any1 had the same experience or knows whats up? I feel like the only thing blocking my from actually training atm is this pain, and it really hurts and eventually its like my feet is paralyzed or something.

Replies

• ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am really interested in your posting. You might check out the group for C25k - lots of great info especially for those of us just starting out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago and it hurt my shins pretty bad to the point I had to stop. If you feel it is too much, take extra rest days and ice your legs if they are sore. Possibly start by incorporating more walking in to build up your legs' strength as well. Don't push through the pain, it's there for a reason. I don't believe there's really a one size fits all with this stuff. I had to go from couch to walking, to walking with a little conversational-paced running, then running longer until I could run my first 5k. It's important to make sure you don't go too fast too soon, and always warm up with something first and stretch afterwards as well.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Don't push through pain, in particular if it's one-sided.

Do you know proper running form? Look at this, including the video with Grant Robinson: http://www.goodformrunning.com/

How strong are you in general? How far can you walk? What's your level of fitness in general?

Could you describe the feeling of being paralyzed better? Is it on top of your foot like a tingling or shooting throughout the leg?

I'm glad someone already posted the link to the C25K group. Go check it out.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It's most likely a combination of bad running form and shoes that aren't appropriate for your feet. Have you had your gait looked at by a professional and then had them select shoes for you? Have you read about how to run well (form)? If not, you really, really, really should do these two things.

Also, make sure you do some stretching afterwards.