Male eating between 1,200-1,400 calories a day!

Options
So I want to lose weight and quick. I am 220 pounds and was 245 at my heaviest. I've lost 60 pounds over the course of a year 5 years ago but gained it back. It's worth noting this happened recently over a year that I gained 50 and had gained 30 over the course of 4.

Here is what I have been eating

150-175 g's of protein
75 g's of carbs
40 g's of fat

This is roughly 1,250. Some days macros on each end go lower or higher but with a cheat meal exception (once a wee) this is where I stand on average. I spread it out evenly and try to get 2/3 of my carbs done by 4-5. I have a knee issue so I avoid super high intense cardio but I do occasionally treadmill for 5 minutes, stairclimber for 10 twice a week but 80% elliptical (I'm sure it's also because I put weight on it I'm not used to since it was a while ago) and I would say I do around 80-90 minutes of cardio a week. I also strength train 2 times a week with back/bis/legs and ch/tris/shoul.

Current body fat is 25% and lost 25 pounds in 38 days.

I know it gets tougher and I want that 6-pack quick. I don't expect to hit it soon and want to lose 65 more (goal is 7% bf) and than start building muscle back (had a good amount at one point a year and a half ago). Input please :)

Replies

• desidieter
    Options
    I can't really comment on specific numbers, but why do you need to lose weight quickly? 25 pounds in 38 days seems extremely fast and possibly unhealthy. Everyone is different, but I would recommend trying to lose 1 lb per week. You want to be careful that you lose the fat and not muscle.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    23 year old male with 60 lbs still to go. First focus on the 60 lbs still lots of work to do before worrying about the abs. Now to the calories, you should be eating more than 1200-1400. I'm a 43 year old female and I eat 1600-1900 to lose weight.

Stop looking at this as a quick fix, you didn't get fat over night, and you aren't getting a 6 pack over night unless you are going to the liquor store. Be realistic, eat at a reasonable deficit, log your food, be patient and be consistent. You said you lost before, now is your chance to learn about nutrition, and how to do it in a way you can sustain in for a lifetime not a quick fix.

Here's some good information to help you out, take some time to read over the links

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1343719-get-rich-quick
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You want to retain the muscle you have, not wait until you've lost lots of it with those 60lbs you're looking at losing and then building back. Start now, then when you've lost the fat you can concentrate on gaining more muscle.

You should eat more, why are you racing to lose this weight?.....you should have learned from previous yo-yoing that is not the way to go?!

Good luck.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Doing it this way, you'll most likely lose a lot of lean muscle mass and thus you won't actually get the body you want. You won't learn how to eat normally and thus when you start to eat more, you'll just gain. I'm 45, 5'6" woman who weighs 148 lb and I eat a ton more than you are and still lose weight. Bad idea. Really bad idea to eat that little.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Loose fast - gain faster!
    Regarding 1200 / 1400 calories - unhealthy is all I can say!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    you can support a large deficit still since you still have a lot of fat to lose, but I would just go full ketogenic if my cals were that low, it's the only way you can intake sufficient protein and fat at that low level of calories, fats and protein are essential, carbs are not, jack the protein up to 1.5 grams per lb lean bodymass and drop carbs to sub 20 and fill remaining cals with fats, it's the only way to preserve muscle on such a severe deficit

edit: I'm not advocating keto in general, only if your calories are so low that there is really no room left for carbs
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eat more food, lift heavy weights and stop with the silly 1200-1400 a day.

be patient you didn't gain this weight in 6 months.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    What you're planning is not healthy. Yes, you will probably lose weight fast doing this... but the weight isn't going to be all fat like you want it. It's going to include your muscle that you want to retain and your bone density. This is why people say it's not a race. The more aggressive you are, the harder it's going to be to retain the things you want and need to retain.

Eat more, lift some weights and be patient.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    eat more food, lift heavy weights and stop with the silly 1200-1400 a day.

be patient you didn't gain this weight in 6 months.

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner. What the above poster said.
    I would suggest a personal trainer / bootcamp class that focuses on your health. Take it from someone that did it the way you did...it's to fast and harder to build muscle. Keep the muscle you have and build on it. Muscle burns fat. The more muscle you build the more fat you'll burn. I lost 60 lbs in under 6 months and have loose skin I can't get rid of. I hate it but I'm healthy. Get a plan that helps you eat to build muscle. Best of luck.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    It's more important that you build sustainable habits than lose the weight fast. I don't know how tall you are, but set a more reasonable calorie deficit (something like 1 pound a week using MFP settings), up your fat intake, and get yourself on weight training program. Your current fat intake is way too low and that's not good.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Double your intake and start/continue lifting, you'll get there and look better for it without starving yourself.

Unless you want to look like Justin Bieber, who with the right makeup and bra could pass for a girl physically.
  • JosephMel
    Options
    Ok so it seems like the vast majority disagree and that's understandable. I am going to do the ketogenic lifestyle and will be shooting for:
    250 grams of protein
    25 grand of carbs
    45 grams of fat.

This is roughly 1525 calories, how do you guys feel about these adjustments. I am also 6'3 to whoever asked. I am willing to sacrifice some muscle to lose weight faster. I want it asap and I know this isn't right but this worked last time 5 years ago. Don't know if it will now but hasn't failed me yet.

Input on the new amounts though please :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    A guy eating at 1200? lol.

I eat that for dinner sometimes. Then again, if you have any sort of workout regimen you'll have to eat more to fuel it. Plus, at such a low intake number you're going to lose a good amount of LBM without some decent resistance training. That would of course require more fuel.

Eh, good luck, report back how it goes after a few months.

ETA - you might want to think about why you gained all that weight back.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Ok so it seems like the vast majority disagree and that's understandable. I am going to do the ketogenic lifestyle and will be shooting for:
    250 grams of protein
    25 grand of carbs
    45 grams of fat.

This is roughly 1525 calories, how do you guys feel about these adjustments. I am also 6'3 to whoever asked. I am willing to sacrifice some muscle to lose weight faster. I want it asap and I know this isn't right but this worked last time 5 years ago. Don't know if it will now but hasn't failed me yet.

Input on the new amounts though please :)

Congratulations: Your BMR is 2232 calories. So what your body needs to function, if you were completely inactive and say in a coma? 2232 calories.

I'm eating more than your new stats (less protein, but hey). And I'm younger, lighter, shorter, and a woman.

1525 is a complete crash diet for you.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You say the low-cal diet worked 5 years ago but you're back with even more weight than you had to lose last time. Just ponder that a moment.

Also, 45g of fat is not keto. Please do some research and/or join a keto group if that's the path you want to take.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    6'3" 23 year old male at 245lbs? BMR is 2388 before any physical activity and you're eating 1500? Just eating your BMR should help you lose 1%-2% of you body weight a week SUSTAINABLY.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I am the first to defend 1200 - 1400 calories for SOME people

usually older shorter not so active women.
    It is also possible that it could be suitable for an older shorter not so active man.

OP you are 23 years old and 6 ft 3 in - regardless of your activity level this calorie level is not enough for you. :noway: