New and a bit scared

Options
Hi, I joined MFP about a year and a half ago and almost immediately failed. Well, I'm back to try again. I hope to lose a LOT of weight, about 140#. I am 60 Y/O though no one believes it (good genes I guess!). My main problem is that I am way to sedentary and lack drive. (Forget the weight loss pill, someone please create a motivation pill!) I would like to find some strength exercises online, already have a treadmill and the Zumba boxed set for cardio, now to just GET UP AND DO IT!!! How have you all made yourself 'just DO it"?? Thanks :wink:

Replies

• DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I made myself do it by finding excitement in my workout. Most of the excitement comes from seeing my body change. I believe if you push hard enough anything can happen
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I eat at a deficit and cycle to work and back every day, you don't have to kill yourself with exercise to lose weight.. Slow and steady wins the race, set a realistic goal for the next month/ six months and work towards it.

2lb a week seems to be the accepted max weight to lose, don't try and lose more than that.

Good luck!.
  • chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I new here all together--just joined last Sunday. I'm very sedentary myself and am not even considering exercise at this point. I hope to become more motivated toward activity once I see some consistent weight loss. Even 'bad' weight loss is due to eating less calories than using. Double check your diet profile under the blue setting tab (I only use a PC; I have no idea what this site looks like on a smart phone app.) and maybe just make the committment to log every single thing that passes your lips for a week. Look at those numbers and the next week work on trying to meet the goals while still logging all your food.

I'm all for not jumping in several directions at once--I'm sedentary, right <wink>

I'm just hoping for weight loss and will fret with the activity/exercise a little further down the road.
  • neverend
    neverend Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I remember when I very first started jogging I decided I'd do increments that I would barely notice doing. So the first day I jogged on the spot for one minute. The next day I added one minute to that and by the end of two weeks I was doing 14 minutes. My reasoning was that a minute seems like such a small unit of time that it would probably never seem like that much of a stretch to do just one extra one, but if i did that regularly within a month I'd be running for half an hour (which at the beginning seemed impossible). So I tried it and it worked really well. I ended up loving to run, particularly for the way it helped me to manage my anxiety. So perhaps just go on the treadmill for one minute and see how that goes.

A technique I've learnt from having to write in my job is that you also don't let yourself do more than you intially promised either. That way the resistant part of you knows you're not going to be trying to trick yourself into doing more, but also if you did feel like doing more, that makes the next day that much easier to do because you're actually looking forward to it.

Good luck!
  • meelissa1
    meelissa1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I read someone on reddit recently that said, sometimes you don't feel like going to work, but you do anyway. Why is excercise any different. Think of it a something you need to do. Hopefully it will get easier and you can find something you enjoy and look forward too. Good luck!
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I found a fitness buddy. In January we rescued a "death row dog" who was in an overcrowded animal shelter. We brought him home and I could tell instantly he had never been an indoor dog. He forced me to get my butt away from my desk and walk him several times a day while we were working on potty training. I found when I was walking for someone/something else it was much easier to get motivated. I know many people drop by their local animal shelters just to go running/walking with the dogs who need to get out of their cages.

If you can't/don't want to adopt a dog find a group in your area that goes on walks together. Sometimes the buddy system can keep you accountable and keep the exercise from being such a drag.
  • malloryphelan
    malloryphelan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is Mallory. I to was on it. Lost weight. Gained it back. Started back again. Good luck.
  • jamilynn_8890
    jamilynn_8890 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I read someone on reddit recently that said, sometimes you don't feel like going to work, but you do anyway. Why is excercise any different. Think of it a something you need to do. Hopefully it will get easier and you can find something you enjoy and look forward too. Good luck!

This^^
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am 68, so whats the big deal................do in some tae bo now, somewhat modified to my strength, and walking..you can do this....
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    great post,,lmaorof, no ICU for me,,,,
  • afk1
    afk1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    welcome back....first of all I am proud of you for returning.....that is a big step. Try doing something simple...start with walking. At my heaviest I felt as you do now. I tried walking ...met a friend at the time at the high school nearby....we walked the track. We did what we could do and then came back, each day was different....somedays were more, some were less but eventually we made it around 4 times which is a mile. I have found that getting up and moving makes me feel better...set small obtainable goals that way you don't get so discouraged. I am 55 soon to be 56 next month.....work up to your Zumba tapes. What about classes at a local YMCA or get some friends together to go walking with you.....knowing someone is depending on you may make it easier for you.......please feel free to add me as a friend....we can encourage one another along the way.....good luck to you :smile: :flowerforyou: I know it won't be easy but you can do it.....take it at your own pace...........:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • afk1
    afk1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    welcome back ....I'm Anne....feel free to add me as a friend.........have a great day.
  • lizzylovestocook
    lizzylovestocook Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Glad you came back to give it another try . I started this weight loss journey 4 years ago on ichange and lost fairly steadily but slowly . I tried myfitnesspal about a year ago but went back to ichange because I found it easier to use . Now ichange is used mostly by people that are on herbalife products and they only seem to eat supplements not any real food so I decided to come back here again . I think the first thing is to log everything you eat consistently and try getting in a walk every day . Once you have this as a daily routine you can slowly add another walk or more exercise . Don't try to do too much all at once because that is hard to stick to and then we think we have failed and we give up . Every little bit helps , we didn't gain the weight overnight so can't expect it to come off that quick either . I think losing it slowly gives you a better chance to keep it off . Try to eat food that is going to give you the most nutrition for your calories , drink lots of water and have a treat now and then so you don't feel deprived . Have a great weekend !!
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Glad you came back to give it another try. If you are interested feel free to send me a friend request. I could not have done it without MFP, I love this website and the support you get from friends on it. I feel it makes you truly accountable. You made the first step, the one thing to remember is that it is not a DIET it is a true lifestyle change. But if you are ready and truly committed, you will be successful and I will be here to encourage and support you along the way.
  • kimballard1966
    kimballard1966 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been off and on here. Well, now I'm sticking around this time. Please add me if you'd like.
  • Eiromynus
    Eiromynus Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    New here too, but not new to starting a "diet" and giving up.

About motivation to exercise... I also find it hard to find motivation right now, not because I dont like to exercise, but because at this weight, exercising is quite uncomfortable and difficult. I just start slow, and do things I like, like walking and lifting weights/calisthenics. Physiotherapist suggested bike riding since its not so hard on the joints, but I really dont like it, so it was out of the question.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I originally joined in 2007 and while I logged my food, I didn't realize that there was a whole community of people here to help keep you motivated. When I came back in 2011 I added some friends, made a commitment to log in regularly and exercise regularly. Reading the success stories is also motivating! As far as how to motivate yourself, just take it one day at a time. Make a commitment to yourself that you will walk on the treadmill every day for a certain amount of time. I have some workout tapes that I listen to, they are 30 or 60 minutes long and I just stick with it until the tape is over. Any music that you like will work. I am doing this to keep my weight down but I am also doing this for my health--exercise keeps your blood pressure down, your heart healthy and does lots of other good things for you! Good luck--I wish you success!
  • Sarcasm6
    Options
    Hi all, I'm brand new here and have been doing this for about 4 days. I have a large dog which needs exercise so that's not the problem with me; it's motivation. My Husband is deployed so making sure I eat right while he's away is really hard, don't like cooking for just me. I look forward to getting hints and tips for all of you. How often do you guys weigh yourselves, or do some of you just go by inches lost?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to get motivation for like a week and go full tilt, and then after that I'm like "nope, too tired". So I decided to start small. I have my balance ball pumped up, my yoga mat rolled up in the corner, hand weights near my balance ball... all in easy reach in my living room. So when I put on a movie I do some crunches, do some flys with the hand weights, plank, push-ups.... starting out easy without set expectations. Going on walks/jogs and either going a little faster or a little further than the time before. I figure sooner or later I will end up at the point where if I *don't* exercise my body will be like "hey, what gives?".

As for food, that's what I'm trying to get a real handle on first. Remembering to log even if I've had a really s**tty day. Not guessing as to the serving of cheese - but actually weighing it (what I guessed was 1.5 oz of cheese was more like 3.. I had to put little chunks of cheese back into the ziplock bag). It's eye opening to see what proper serving sizes are compared to what I was eating without a second thought.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:

edit to fix spelling error. :ohwell: