Life is hard not bingeing

Options
I have always been a "let's not have one slice let's eat it all gal".

I have been addressing why I binge and doing something about it, instead of feeling great it's making me unhappy. Feeling sick, not sleeping, the lethargy, the not interacting because I'm too full. Being secretive, driving to get more food, the expense.., the no life that comes with being a compulsive oveteater.

Howevet it's also very tough not bingeing. I don't feel motivated to do much except plan the next meal. I realise food was a lot of what I look forward to. I'm trying to be sensible and allowing myself to be indulgent too, just eat one sandwich instead of six... But it's hard and I feel miserable and tired. I'm still eating a lot of kcal (averaging about 3000 kcal a day but I had got into a habit if bingeing up to 10000 kcal!). I appreciate I need to see a Counsillot but that's not an option right now. Did anyone else go through this really low period ? X

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Any time we make changes in things that help us cope with stress, anger, boredom, loneliness, fear, etc., there is going to be a void inside. It's very difficult to not want to just fill that void up with what has worked in the past. Food.

I worked really hard on learning to do something different. I practiced prolonging the need to eat for as long as I could I concentrated on making the time get longer and longer each time I had these feelings. When I was able to not binge for about 15 minutes, I found that the feelings driving the binge were usually gone.

I'm not saying it's easy to overcome - or that you can do it without professional help. I'm just saying you can try. Find other things to fill in the void. Things that are healthier, don't involve food, and keep you busy until the feelings pass.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    When it comes to sweets, I used to be an all or nothing eater. And when it was all, it was mega calories eaten.

I read the Beck Diet Solution book recommended by a few here and in other communities I belong to and it has helped my relationship with food.
  • jharwell58
    jharwell58 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! I have found (after YEARS of the food cravings and binging) that it is best for me to avoid certain food "triggers"...but the biggest part of this for me was being able to realize that the emotional triggers were a huge part of the problem! Now, when I have a situation that causes me to crave junk food (mostly high-fat, high-sugar stuff), I spend a minute or two talking myself down: "Is this situation going to change if I eat a whole bag of candy?" ... "Is my life going to improve if I eat thousands more calories today than what my body needs?" Being concious of my thought processes has been one of the biggest battles....because as an emotional eater, I prefer (or used to prefer) to be UNconcious....that's what excess food is/was about for me....it allowed me be zone out of my life.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Guys, I don't know if this helps, I'm currently not premenstrual (apologies to all who are squeamish) so ask me again in a few weeks. Howver, my bingeing had gotten out of hand and I was sick of coming on here seeking help (which I greatly received but realised I was turning insane).

For the first time, in a long time, what was working was this:

NO BREAKFAST - but having two cappuccino's (that's my thing. Milky coffee first thing, so I guess that is a breakfast really as milk is food but that doesn't seem to send me into " a ahhh I just want to go to sleep and eat more zone)
    Lunch time - nothing / or a small sandwich if I felt hungry (I don't eat this at home, I am not bringing any bread etc into the house) I stay out of the house all morning walking, doing jobs etc

3 pm (my binge time and when I arrive back at home with my little one and I'm usually tired at this point. I do the ironing, washing up and prepare my son's supper (which I have ensured is a pre made healthy casserole (not a binge food meat and veg, with cheese and potatoes) and vegetables/sweet potatoes - he's loving it and looks really well... and drink this time I nibble on veggies (raw) AND 100grams (YES I KNOW!) of dark chocolate.

19:30 Dinner with hubby has ranged from pasta (fresh egg pasta - not a binge for me evenings are my best time) to meat, veggies, sweet potato and a yogurt and fruit for pud.

This isn't that healthy because of all the chocolate I'm eating and I probably have a sandwich out every other day... It's not the healthiest but it is WAY, WAY more healthy than all that bingeing. Something that had gotten out of control! To some, I guess I still am bingeing, what with the 3pm chocolate - but on a side note, I haven't gained weight and lost a few lbs ( this could be water weight, and isn't my goal, my goal is to look at the longterm, I'm taking multivits too).

I ensure I am not in the house at binge time. Tonight we have guests for the weekend and I brought cinnamon loaf, bread, pittas... and guess what? I had "one slice", and ended up eating seven and the urge to binge was huge (I hadn't felt like that all week) I did pull myself in though, but thought I "feel like bingeing, I'll post on Myfitnesspal".

For me, I'm just going to have to avoid these foods as I can't eat small amounts, or at least not keep unlimited amounts in my house that I have access to, weekends are a bit of a pain but I didn't buy cereals this week as I thought everyone can have the same breakfast and it won't leave surplus when they leave-.

Binge thoughts during the week..
    During the day ,when I have thought, I feel tired, angry etc and wanted to binge I just thought, "well, I can at 3pm" and I can eat all the dark chic I want... just delaying the binge and knowing I'm not saying "no" to myself helps.

So therea re some techniques, and some food avoidance and I don't know if it will last it's worked during the week. Of course, it needs improving but i was silly bingeing.

I just thought I would share this... I don't think my body wants to give up carbs, I think I need them to sleep well, however, I feel, I'm thinking better and I don't feel that lethargy and of course the awful "binge mode" cravings subside when the trigger also do...
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    PS I have been doing loads of exercise, walking and swimming... so I'm busy all the time- just a little tired!
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You may want to go to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting. I've been thinking about going to one near me.

Holding myself accountable to a diet has been helpful for the most part. Something that is structured like the 21 day sugar detox or the Game On diet (diet is like a game with friends, extra accountability). But I still tend to have small binges on those too.
  • caitconquersweight
    Options
    Oh god yes. I still find myself getting bored and having to wonder if I'm really hungry or just want to binge for the sake of it. It's very hard, and I think it's something a lot of people struggle with forever. I know it would be easy to do a huge binge, but it would make me feel like crap.

By and large, the one thing that's kept me from binging is planning my meals in the morning. If I have a set plan, I'm not going to mess with it.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    This is only my opinion (Yeah, that's just like, your opinion maaan), but when you binge you're doing it to fill feelings of emptiness, sadness, some kind of bad feeling. The food covers those feelings up. WHen we start trying to eat healthy, it's almost like a drug addict getting sober. Everything they used to avoid is suddenly here. And that can be really, really uncomfortable. It's why addicts relapse and it's why people can't lose weight.

The key is just to accept it and open your mind to what those bad feelings are trying to tell you. You hate your job and feel stuck in it? You dislike where you live, or maybe even who you live with? Your relationship isn't actually fulfilling in the way you wish it was? Relationships, family, work... or it could be nothing so obvious, it could be something like you have a great home great job great family... but you still feel empty. You need to figure out why. Maybe you have a secret desire to do something creative - write or something.

I really strongly believe this. We overeat/binge because :::::something is missing:::::. It's up to you to figure out what that is <3
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    First, be sure there is no medical reason for your cravings - no physical problems or vitamin deficiencies. If all of that is in order, you probably need a counselor. Free counseling is available in most communities. You should check that out.

There are so many theories on this. My personal favorite is redirection. When you begin thinking about the eating, stop and do something else. Wash the floor. Read a book. Go for a walk. Take up a new hobby, like scrap booking.

Learn a new subject! Go to the library if you can't afford a class and read about it in a textbook. Take notes. Just like you would for a class. You'll get involved in something new and you'll learn something. :)

Don't allow the thoughts. Don't entertain them.

Also, learn how to be healthy. Work on make your body a healthier one.

That's all my general advice, but you really do need professional help from people who can work with you.

Good luck!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm a binger too and I always believed people binge to compensate for what's not there, but in my life I have no clue what it is. My life is pretty good, I like my job and my relationship, I don't have a lot of money but my bills are paid, the only thing I don't like is me! Maybe that's it.