School/Exercise!

Options
Hello everyone!
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for balancing school (I'm a sophomore college student) and working out? I normally try to do at least 30 minutes of working out every day, but have recently been bogged down with schoolwork--which leads to stress and the feeling that I dont have enough time to work out!!
Any pointers?
Thanks!
Katie

Replies

• kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Also, my work schedule adds to the overwhelming feeling as well. :(
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The only way I balance my stress is to take the time to work out. I'm no longer a student, but work 60+ hours a week, two kids, husband (who works just as many hours), an village of pets, etc. I think we can all find excuses, time management, stress etc will get in the way if/when we let it. The main thing that I found so important was to simply put "me" time in there. I get up earlier to do it in my world, because if I don't start my day with a work out I feel terrible all day. That puts me up by 4:30 every AM, but it's worth it.
  • aeshippen
    Options
    im in the same boat girl.. take some time for yourself to work out and it will become your stress reliver! find a workout that you ENJOY that way you will look fwd to it :)
    also take at LEAST 30 minutes of leisure time for yourself and your sanity so you can relax or do something you love.
    ive found this helps me out a lot!
    hope that helps.
    xoxo
  • bkegurl36
    bkegurl36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know hoe you feel! I am a full time student and also work 40 hours a week! It is manageable I promise. I know it is stressful, but for me it is more stressful when I do not workout! So I also wake up super early to squeeze in my workouts. With my school schedule there are a few days that I have to workout at night but I have just found that if you want it bad enough you will find time to fit in. There are times where I am even studying and i need a break so I will just go hop on the treadmill and run for 20 minutes... Every little bit helps! :happy:
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Tips I used when I was in school:

1. Take 20-30 minute breaks while studying / writing and run around the campus. I used to run around the school twice (3 miles) and when I was finished I felt so much better.

2. Every little bit helps so try to always walk to class and to get food. If you commute to school then park far away so you have to walk across campus

3. Get together with your roommate or friends to play basketball one day or some type of sport. Even consider joining the rec league.

4. Run the stairs in your building at night. As long as it doesn't keep anyone else up then this is a great way to burn off some calories and stress at the same time. Just don't try it in the middle of the day lol
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have late classes, so i go in the mornings. I made MFP my home page so it reminds me every morning when i get up to go workout! Also either wear your gym clothes to class or bring them with you! it's just more motivation :)
  • alleyg4
    alleyg4 Posts: 26
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I am a senior getting ready to student teach and during the fall of jr year, I was juggling 18 credits, 20 hrs of work/wk, 20 hrs/wk of volunteering, and pretending to have a social life... I finally set an alarm on my phone and forced myself to set aside 30 minutes three times a week to work out. It hard and I know working out is the first thing you cut of your day but it is so worth it! Good luck! I know you can do it!
  • kaitlinmre
    kaitlinmre Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! For those of you that work out in the morning, do you eat before or after? I've heard not to eat and I've tried that, but I kept getting lightheaded! Any suggestions?
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! For those of you that work out in the morning, do you eat before or after? I've heard not to eat and I've tried that, but I kept getting lightheaded! Any suggestions?

I eat before! I have WAY more energy when i go to workout then. It helps you fuel up. Otherwise you'll find that you can't workout as long.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i've taken to working out at home instead of taking the extra time to go all the way the the rec center on campus. it's much easier to fit it in when it's only a few steps away from your desk or couch :)
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    Hey, While i'm not in my undergrad anymore, i am taking 6 credits of graduate level classes (considered full time) and working 50+ hours a week as well. I have been finding myself taking my books/notes to the rec with me and those days i need some extra study time, or cram time, i'll grab a stationary bike/treadmill/eliptical and study while i work out. It is actually nice because it distracts me from the time left , haha.

Good luck, you can do it. :)