Birth Control Pills - yes or no?

Options
I have a question for the ladies. I'm considering going on the Pill. I was in the past (about 5 years ago) and quit, essentially because I really had no reason to be on them anymore.

I'm thinking of going back on them, for obvious reasons, (even though this isn't occurring now, it may be in the future) and due to the fact I believe I developed a cyst last period. I was reading about the benefits, and I remember when I was on them in the past, there was more time in between periods for me, I had lighter periods, etc. Naturally the side effect I had was gaining weight, but I am not chalking that one up to the pill because I had terrible eating habits and did NOT exercise.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just posted about birth control pills. I'm currently on Ortho Lo and I have more side effects than I've ever had while on pills. (Hungry all the time, fatigue, emotions running wild) I was taking Estrostep for years with no side effects at all. I would suggest you do your research. I mean personally, I don't want another child so I will take any and every side effect that comes along with BC pills.
  • Shinersmom
    Options
    I have never had any side effects with my BC. I have taken Kariva, and really liked it.
  • xxxwings
    Options
    The low-dose pills have lesser side effects but still work the same way. I've been on Ortho-Tricyclin-Lo for a few years, gained a few lbs from starting college & being on the meal plan, but overall shorter consistant periods, no PMS or cramps, better skin, and the obvious purpose. So yeah, ask your doctor about low-dose options.
  • ileana84
    ileana84 Posts: 163
    Options
    Ugh I hated Ortho Lo. It was the worse idea for me. I had the same side affects (fatigue, weight gain, emotional bs lol). But I do suggest RESEARCH and reviews :)
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Only side effect I had on BC pills was getting pregnant. TWICE. That .3% is apparently me. Yes, I took it correctly. Good thing my kids are cute. :wink:
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm on Yaz, was on Orth tricyclin. While on Ortho I had horrible mood swings. I have been on it for so long...to regulate my cycle, not just for the no-baby reason. I don't the the pill itself makes you gain weight, but it will make you more hungry if it has a high estrogen content but if you are not eating more you shouldn't gain weight. I recommend Yaz but that is just bc it seems to work well for me.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I take yazmin and I don't have any issues with it. I've been on it for four years and it has definitely helped me have shorter, lighter periods. If I do have cramps, they are not bad. I don't think it made me gain weight, and I have not had trouble losing weight on it (yet, anyway). As far as I'm concerned, birth control is the miracle drug :smile:
  • yumcheese
    yumcheese Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Only side effect I had on BC pills was getting pregnant. TWICE. That .3% is apparently me. Yes, I took it correctly. Good thing my kids are cute. :wink:

ACK SCARY!

glad the kids are cute though :)
  • HaolepinoGirl
    Options
    Yes, Kariva is a good pill. No bad side effects like others
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    I was on ortho tri-cyclen and the lo version as well. I hated both. From what I've read about the tri-phasic pill (three different levels of hormones - a low dose the first week after your period, then more the second, then the most the third, then none/placebo pills the fourth), there's really NO reason why you need to be blasted with three levels of hormones. So stick to a mono-phasic pill...that's all even.

I had success with alesse back in the day, and am looking at going back on it again.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I was on Depo and that was REALLY bad. I'm on Junelle right now and I don't seem to have as many problems as I did before.
  • grace914
    grace914 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Ortho Tricyclin Lo for two years now with no side effects. I did try the generic version of Ortho Lo to save cash and I had awful mood swings, my skin broke out, I cried all the time, and I felt like I was on fire. I went back to Ortho. I don't think I gained any weight from the pill. I'm just fat because I eat too much!
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options

ACK SCARY!

glad the kids are cute though :)

Seriously... I don't like to read those kinds of true stories!! :noway:
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I was on Ortho Tri way back in the day. I didn't notice any side effects at all. I'm lucky that I have really good skin, except for a stupid patch of perma-pimples around my chin. But I think I'll definitely look at other brands. I never really did understand the three levels of hormones in the pills anyways...
  • jennylynn84
    Options

This is why me and the hubs double up on protection. I need to combine some percentages and really knock OUT my chances of being knocked UP. LOL.

Btw - I take Trivora (its probably something generic) - I really don't get any side effects. I can't blame weight gain on it, because I was on it long before I packed on weight. I've never had awful PMS, unless you count the timely Fibro flares, so I've never needed anything else.
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options
    I take Demulen. It's great! Ive been on it for years, stopped, went back on. No side effects at all. That's the only one I recommend to everyone.
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    Im on sprintec, and walmart for a month is $10, cvs and walgreens match prices so i go through them to get my bc. And just found out our insurance is finally covering it if you buy 3 months at a time! yay!

Been on it for almost 2 years and no problems. Gained this last bit of weight when i quit smoking :)
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options

That was my only side effect with Birth Control as well...only I was on the ring and it only happened once.