Top tips for keeping on track whilst on holiday??

Options
I'm leaving for a weeks holiday in Lanzarote in 3 days. I'm so excited but worried I'm going to un-do all my hard work!

What are your top tips for staying healthy whilst abroad?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One week won't make a big difference in the grand scheme of things... Enjoy your holiday, get back on it when you're back. That's what I do. The most I ever put on on holiday was 5lb when I was all inclusive for a week... It came off in a couple of weeks of getting back to a deficit!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    One week won't make a big difference in the grand scheme of things... Enjoy your holiday, get back on it when you're back. That's what I do. The most I ever put on on holiday was 5lb when I was all inclusive for a week... It came off in a couple of weeks of getting back to a deficit!
    ^^^^ This ^^^^^ Life happens enjoy yourself you will not put on the 17kg you have lost in a week. What you'll probably discover is you'll eat less that you think and maybe put on a couple of pounds or surprisingly nothing, which will go within a couple of weeks of when you get back. Go enjoy yourself
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I keep up with exercise and net at maintenance while on holiday.

I use hotel gyms, or failing that get day passes to a local gym. Hotel should be able to recommend one nearby if they don't have their own gym. I fit in a cardio workout in the morning while the OH sleeps in. This way I can afford to order whatever I fancy at restaurants.

If there is no nearby gym available, I will just try to do a lot of walking while sightseeing. I usually use Runtastic to track how much I walk, but it does eat up a lot of phone battery.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    What others have said, but also portion control. Don't deprive yourself to the point of ruining what should be a fun holiday; but you also don't need to throw common sense to the winds, either. I have good luck on holidays when I eat whatever strikes my fancy, but when I remain conscious of the portions I am helping myself to.
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    Usually you find you are doing so much walking, swimming, etc and there are no habit cues for bored eating etc that its ok. :smile:
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Oh this was me this summerI had just started making great progress and then had a 16-day vacation! Believe it or not, I only put on .5 lb that entire time (and even there, I think it was water weight because a couple days later, I was down 2 pounds!).

Here are some of my best tips.

1) If you can continue to log your calories, do so. I had some days where I couldn't, so I just worked on making good choices.
    2) If you can get some workouts in, do so. I wasn't able to do the 40-60 minute workouts I normally do, but I was able to sneak in several 2 mile runs. Something is better than nothing.
    3) Let yourself have some treats (in moderation). For me, it was important to enjoy some treats - this was my vacation! I just didn't go overboard and tempered the treats with good choices elsewhere.
    4) Jump on it as soon as you get back. I recognized the first week after my vacation was critical to my continued success. I made sure I was at the gym the very next day and got back to regular logging.

Bottom line, I can tell you it didn't derail me. I've lost about 5 pounds since returning and felt like I was easily able to pick back where I left off!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Depends on what type of holiday. Do you have the option of a kitchenette in your hotel room? I'm just finishing up a holiday and we have a kitchen so we made a meal plan and went grocery shopping upon arrival. I brought a cooler bag and ice pack and have been packing meals when we go out for the day. I brought my jump rope and resistance bands for exercise and have been running on the beach. If you don't have the kitchenette option then just do your best with meal selection.

ETA If your holidays are anything like mine, there will be plenty of walking to burn calories.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I keep up with my workouts. Usually it's only 2 during a 5 day trip, so not too bad. I also try to walk whenever I can, and I buy healthy snacks to make sure I'm not starving when is time to eat. If I was at a buffet, I made sure to look at everything before getting a plate. I made heathier choices (like choosing sausage over fried food), but I still ate small desserts and had the occasional cocktail. Basically try not to over think it. I personally don't track anything on vacation, but if that works for you then do it. I managed to come back with no change in my weight which was exactly what I wanted.
  • chopsuey99
    chopsuey99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Especially what Cortelli said, deprive yourself nothing and stick to portion control. Eating different yummy foods is one of the highlights of travel.

I'd add, put a little time to research restaurants on tripadvisor or guidebooks ahead of your trip and plan out at least a few places you're likely to go to with your group or would want to go to. Just getting an idea of the dishes offered can give me something to look forward to especially if it's healthy, and if I find a really delicious-sounding, highly regarded, yet calorific dish ---to plan on eating and enjoying moderately. Incorporating a level of mindful eating ahead of the holiday shifts my mental state from anxiety that I'll give in to every temptation to calm relative preparedness.

I'll also read about grocery stores and outdoor/farmer's markets. Love to pick up fresh fruit and healthy snacks at markets where locals shop as well as adding yummy variety to the protein bars, nuts, jerky, and instant oatmeal packs I invariably pack along on my trip.

Wishing you a wonderful trip.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I just got back from 10 days in Florida. I ate what I wanted (without being too greedy) and though I feel/felt abit bloated, I know if i have gained, it'll be like a 1lb or 2lb. Enjoy your holiday!
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I had a week "off" on holiday, just enjoyed myself and ate what I fancied.

Got back and weighed in a kilo heavier, that went within the week going back to normal eating..

For me, dieting and going to the gym do not sound very holiday-ish but everyone is different!.