Why I Love To Run

Options
I am relatively new to running, having started about three and a half years ago. I had several reasons for starting, but most of them had nothing to do with losing weight or getting in shape...those things just happened. It was one of the best decisions I have made.

I love the clean simplicity of putting one foot in front of another to get to feel the success of what one runner calls “relentless forward progress”. I do not need special clothes. I do not need expensive shoes. I do not need shoes at all. I do not need to take a class. I do not need to subject myself to expert opinions. I do not need anyone to help me. I can just go outside and run. It is free. And it is freeing. I do, however, have the special clothes and the expensive shoes and I listen to runners who are better, faster and stronger than me. These things enhance my enjoyment, but to simply run, I do not need them. The act of the run is uncomplicated, unadorned and raw.

I love the melding of the physical with the mental… the body with the brain… the physiology with the psychology. If you run, you cannot escape this symbiosis. I wonder at the days when my brain is tired and disjointed, but my legs are strong and energetic and they carry me down the miles until my brain finds its quietude. I value the days where my body is tired and pained, but my mind and my will accept no excuses and I run and I run and I run… far beyond what I wanted to believe was possible.
I love that running is its own reward. You can run for time. You can run for speed. You can run for distance. You can run for medals, ribbons, t-shirts, causes and accolades. But at the heart of it, you run because you love the simple satisfaction of the run. My first 5k was in my neighborhood with friends and family and I struggled to not finish last. My first marathon was on the trails, by myself, just to see if I could do it. My first ultra was a grueling gauntlet of muddy trails, unexpected heat, cramps and dehydration and where a young girl sailed past me at the finish, completing her 50 miles before I finished my 50k. All three experiences are special to me… but all three left me with the same sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, despite the pain, the challenges and disappointments. It was the run.

I know it is not for everyone. But for me, it puts me in my “zen”. I like who I am when I am running. It is the most pacifying yet visceral thing that I do. I am 56…I am not a studly athlete…I am not graceful…I am not smooth…I am not fast…but somehow, some way, I can run. And that simple act has helped make me better.

I like running alone. Outside. If I could, I would make every run a long solo run on the trails…I can go hours and never see anyone. It’s just me spending valuable, productive, healthy time with myself. But I also love my early morning winter runs in the cold and in the dark with the wind and snow tearing at me defying me to keep going. Both runs let me find places within myself that become quiet testing grounds to find out what kind of man I am… or can be.

This is why I always want to talk about running… I like finding people who experience what I experience… or maybe finding someone new who is looking for this kind of challenge and inner peace…

I guess I should stop, because it ended up being longer than I expected…maybe I should have gone for run before I wrote it…

Replies

• heartimpelled
    Options
    thanks for all posting this information is very important for my and help full
  • cryptonyt
    cryptonyt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Well written. I totally understand where you are coming from. I only started in May of this year, but I love the run. I love the experience, and the feeling I get when it is done, which lasts most of the day. Although there are a number of times at work, when I have run in the morning, and in the afternoon, I want to leave my desk and just say f@*k it and go for a run. (Not sure if I would go back though. LOL :smile:
  • AtomicOvary
    AtomicOvary Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is beautiful. This captures EVERYTHING I have been feeling since I started running a year ago. Thank you for sharing.
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Trying to outrun the demons on my shoulders...or at least to make it so I can't hear them as long as the wind is whistling by outside and I can concentrate on the birds twittering warnings and the rustling in the undergrowth...running's the best way to reset my brain and give it a break.

"And to that I say: Who cares! Forget the why. You are in a raging forest full of beauty and agony and magical grapey beverages and lightning storms and demon bees. This is better than the why."

I, too, run because I seek that clarity...
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Amen brother.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to running, having started about three and a half years ago. I had several reasons for starting, but most of them had nothing to do with losing weight or getting in shape...those things just happened. It was one of the best decisions I have made.
    Yes, this. After a 15 year break I started running again about one and a half years ago. It's rather addictive.
    I love that running is its own reward. You can run for time. You can run for speed. You can run for distance. You can run for medals, ribbons, t-shirts, causes and accolades. But at the heart of it, you run because you love the simple satisfaction of the run.
    + this
    I like who I am when I am running.
    & so much this!

Powerfully written & thanks for sharing.

Running is perpetually teaching me new things about myself & the world around me.
    False starts, falling behind the pack, rookie mistakes, tender muscles & outright failures are merely opportunities to expand my horizons. Choosing to run long slow plodding miles & grueling hill repeats just because I feel like it, gives proof of the strength of my will.
    I love the challenge of running with teens who seem impossibly fast. I love the patience of running with newer runners who aren't even certain they can run yet, and the glow when they discover they can. I love sharing my passion with my daughters, some of whom are discovering that they too were born to run.
    Mostly I love running when it's just me and the ground under my feet, the sun on my flesh, with each season's delights in the breeze... for these miles everything is right in my world.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had always been a "good" runner in the military but never enjoyed it or did it in my off time. I began running two years ago during a particularly difficult time in my life. I then ran a 20K race on a whim with a friend. I enjoyed the race and I let him talk me into running a marathon. A marathon had been on my bucket list but I had not acted on it. So I signed up and started training. I remember when I started, I would have a planned route and no matter how tired I was, I would not deviate. Then one day, I was running during a particularly beautiful morning with the sun burning the fog off the ground and deer mulling around just off the road. It hit me then that I was actually enjoying it! My runs were no longer "training" but something I looked forward to. My planned routes were no longer set in stone and I would routinely find myself adding one or two miles to them. When I finished my first marathon, I crossed the finish line completely spent and saying to myself, "check that one off the list, never again!" I soon found myself planning my next race and looking for my next marathon. When I travel, I am looking at what races are going on at my destination or spots in between!

Running has gotten me through the break up of my marriage as well as my fight with cancer. It has given me confidence in myself and my abilities! I am now looking at new challenges, including ultra marathons and triathlons. I have practiced swimming and am now swimming better and more confidently than I ever had in the past. I have even applied for a new job, confidently stepping well outside of my comfort zone! This is what running has done for me.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.... your stories are inspiring.... I never get tired hearing about the things people accomplish...
  • jrek521
    jrek521 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This post made me laugh because I never met anyone who loved running (the informal name of our running group is "Running is Stupid"). Thank you for sharing your passion! I run for exercise, and I really hope that it gets to be an activity that I enjoy. It's nice to know that it's possible!
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Love this post!

sister-act-hallelujah.gif
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    I only wish I was better at it. Talented, gifted runners are impalas and gazelles. I am an armadillo.
  • shannonkellyy
    Options
    Well said! I'm currently in training for my first half marathon and the challenge is amazing. It's the best feeling during a run when you totally think you need to stop because you feel like you want to die, and then you just push yourself a little harder and realize how truly strong you are and what the human body is capable of.
  • jallforme3
    jallforme3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just started running (more like 3 weeks ago versus your 3 years) but I agree with the solo part----alone on the trail is such an awesome feeling! I've noticed that the less people out, the longer I like to stay on the trail. I can't wait to see what other results come with running, time will tell!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    Trail running in your first three weeks... that's awesome...
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    Trying to outrun the demons on my shoulders...or at least to make it so I can't hear them as long as the wind is whistling by outside and I can concentrate on the birds twittering warnings and the rustling in the undergrowth...running's the best way to reset my brain and give it a break.

"And to that I say: Who cares! Forget the why. You are in a raging forest full of beauty and agony and magical grapey beverages and lightning storms and demon bees. This is better than the why."

I, too, run because I seek that clarity...

Some of those "non-weight loss" reasons to run...
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

I know it is not for everyone. But for me, it puts me in my “zen”. I like who I am when I am running. It is the most pacifying yet visceral thing that I do.

I like running alone. Outside. If I could, I would make every run a long solo run on the trails…I can go hours and never see anyone. It’s just me spending valuable, productive, healthy time with myself. But I also love my early morning winter runs in the cold and in the dark with the wind and snow tearing at me defying me to keep going. Both runs let me find places within myself that become quiet testing grounds to find out what kind of man I am… or can be.

That was nice to read--thanks for sharing. I love running...I can't really express it as well you did but I can identify with a lot of things you wrote. I love trail running...alone. One of my most favorite memories ever is a 10 mile trail run during a heavy snowstorm. There was not a single soul out except for me...even the animals were hunkered down...it was blissfully quiet except for a quiet crunch of my shoes on the snow and the most beautiful day ever. The trees looked like they were covered in powdered sugar. If I close my eyes, I can still picture the snow falling around me running on the trail. I have a horrible memory lol but I will never forget that day.

I NEED to run. I don't always love it. I have moved and don't get to run on trails anymore. Road running is not as enjoyable for me. But I still NEED to do it and it does make me a happier and better person. When I started running again it really helped me to get out of a bad rut I was in. It changed my life. That sounds sort of stupid but it really did.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I can only second your post. I even can't lay off running, even not recommended by my doctor until after surgery. it is relaxing and addicting at the same time and I experience some of the moments you discribe and others have mentioned.

Well said.
  • ReignOerMe
    ReignOerMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've always had trouble with anxiety and running has helped more than anything else could. Just being alone and getting in the zone where all I am focusing on is running is the best feeling. I'd heard people say stuff like your post in the before I started, but I never believed them. Now I couldn't agree with you more.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I love that running is its own reward. You can run for time. You can run for speed. You can run for distance.

This.

I love that it helps keep me sane, gives me headspace.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Yup.