Ladies 40-50: hot flashes, or just hot?

Phew!
The last few days, I swear it feels like the heat's cranked up - borderline breaking a sweat. ALL DAY. AND NIGHT. (not just a minute here & there). What I read online says hot flashes are only for a minute or two, not steadily for hours on end.

No fever, and I'm certainly old enough (and DONE HAVING CHILDREN - are you listening, reproductive system??)...

Can any of you weigh in on your experiences? I mean, if I'm just feeling hotter, well. *fans self* I am that awesome...but don't need to express it *quite* so literally :-D

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Yep, I periodically get hot flashes at night. Those ones where I feel like there's a nuclear reactor in my core and I'm incredibly uncomfortable and throw off all the covers just to cool off, even in winter.

They don't happen every night, thank goodness. Not yet anyway.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Menopause usually starts about your age, and if the hot flashes become an issue, you can talk to your doctor about hormone replacement therapy. Stay hydrated and make sure you exercise. It can help with symptoms.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    My question is - this is an all-day/night thing, not just for a few minutes. Was that also your experience? Or was it something that passed in just a minute or two?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    in to learn:tongue:
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I don't know about anyone else but right now mine only happen at night, and even then not every night. It's like maybe a few nights a month and they only last a few minutes.

But my mom has said that when she hit full on menopause hers were happening mid day and her face would get all red and flushed and she'd sweat so much she'd have to change her clothes. So that's probably what I have to look forward to eventually. Ugh.
  • meaghanmcb
    meaghanmcb Posts: 6 Member
    I'm only 34, but I'm hot all the time. It makes exercise that much more difficult because one flight of stairs can make the waterworks gush forth and I'm not even out of breath.
    I have an endocrine imbalance - too much prolactin, and low-ish estrogen which I believe to be the cause. A physician once explained a hot flash to me as a body dumping estrogen, which cause a surge of heat in response to the low estrogen. I don't know if that's true, but I understand the concept.
    I don't have menstrual cycles because of the high prolactin plus I have Mirena, so I can't give you any thoughts in that realm. You should also check your resting heart rate periodically and make sure you're not overheating because of internal overwork. When I get super stressed at work, I get even hotter even faster! My heart rate is usually a good indicator to go outside for a few minutes (cool temps + 300 steps to get there). HTH!
  • Eskiesforlife
    Eskiesforlife Posts: 12 Member
    They can last for hours (at least in my case) but all day?? Do they come and go or are you just hot 100% of the time? Could be blood pressure as well causing it.
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Aside from the possibility of life hormonal changes you could be experiencing a raised metabolism. Menopause type "flashes" come and go. A raised metabolism will last all day and all night. Looking at the scale on your post you've already lost a good deal of weight! Congratulations!!! But it probably something as easy as "you're getting it!" You're finding the right balance between nutrition and exercise and your body is acting like a furnace! I say again, congratulations! :)
  • chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member
    My hot flashes are definietly NOT only a few seconds long! And, btw, why don't these blasted things make you lose weight? Somebody designed that wrong! LOL

You might, however, check your meds or supplements if you are taking anything at all. I took something back in the 80's that made me sweat buckets and welcome bitter cold weather. I think it was a MAO anti-depressant, but I don't recall for sure. I also think that some currently used heart meds are related.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Thank you all very much for the input!

I've got a doctor's appointment next week, and you've given me some great ideas for things to ask about.

And YES - it should TOTALLY up your metabolism! Can you imagine? Downside: hot flashes. Upside: lose weight.
    *sigh* alas :-D
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Based on this thread I think I might have menopause. :frown: