WHY Is Fruit Healthy For You?

Options
I know that this is a dumb question, but why, exactly, is fruit so good for you? Fruits are mainly carbohydrates and sugar, so why is a handful of grapes (or any fruit, I was just using an example) considered to be a healthier snack than a cookie that has the same (or close to the same) amount of calories, carbohydrates, sugar, etc.? Is it simply because fruits aren't processed and don't contain chemicals that are bad for your body, or is there another reason, too? Can someone please explain it to me? Thanks!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Fruit is packed full of vitamins, potassium, anti-oxidants and fiber. Same with vegetables. We need a wide variety of macro- and micro-nutrients to assure health.

Here's a clear source of info on this: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/vegetables-and-fruits/
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above!
    I also personally notice a difference in myself when my diet is more balanced, rather than eating a ton of pre-packaged or processed foods. Fruits and veggies are awesome sources of energy, and you can generally eat more volume of them than you can a processed or more "dense" item, like a cookie.
  • RAWR1202
    Options
    Fruit is full of water, vitamins and fibre.
    Seriously, this is stuff you learn in school when you're 7, if not younger.
    (I probably sound a bit like a ***** so sorry about that but I can't stand how far too many people these days don't care about anything apart from the sugar, fat and calorie content in food these days.)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Have you literally never heard of a vitamin before?
  • joshuaperson
    Options
    Fruit, vegetables, etc. are more easily digested by our bodies. Everything in moderation..
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Fruit is packed full of vitamins, potassium, anti-oxidants and fiber. Same with vegetables. We need a wide variety of macro- and micro-nutrients to assure health.

Here's a clear source of info on this: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/vegetables-and-fruits/
    ^ This

You do NEED some amount of "sugar" (glucose) to function so it's not bad in and of itself and there are lots of vitamins/nutrients coming along with that and possibly "roughage"(fiber) too depending on the fruit eaten.