Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low Carb/Atkins???

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the old Atkin's and the new Atkin's please? I had success about 5 years ago on WW and lost 55 lbs in 6 months with no exercise, but however since then I have gained weight back and have repeated failures on WW and regular calorie counting. I've seen a lot of reports lately of how much more beneficial it is to eat low carb vs low fat---thoughts??? Would buying an Atkin's book be beneficial to me, or is there a better book out there to explain how to eat this way? Thanks for any help!!:smile:

Replies

• violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    You don't need to buy books to eat low carb. It's pretty much the same as calorie counting except you count carbs. Anything specific you want to know you can google it. There is a sea of information about it online.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    There is also a couple of Atkins groups who can assist further. I have the DANDR book which i follow.
  • runninggirltoo
    runninggirltoo Posts: 12 Member
    You can go on the Atkins website and they have a free start up kit they will send you with some Atkins bars and a book that tells you the way to eat. I think the only difference between the old and new is that they now have their own food line you can purchase. I was doing it for awhile and it works, but I missed having a slice of bread now and again.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Unless you develop a routine that includes exercise, you are going to be a yo-yo dieter for the rest of your life. It won't matter what books you buy.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Unless you develop a routine that includes exercise, you are going to be a yo-yo dieter for the rest of your life. It won't matter what books you buy.

I don't necessarily agree with this. At least not in the beginning. If you don't have a lot of weight to lose, then yes. But if you have quite a bit then no. Weight loss is 80% diet. I've found that when I add an exercise routine I eat more, way more. Though, I will be re evaluating this once I'm closer to my goal weight.

You are right about yo-yo dieting. A lifestyle change is key. I've found that to be true for me. I do low carb because I'm a diabetic. But I wouldn't be doing that if I wasn't.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    The current Atkins plan reflects a few developments in science - like allowing caffeinated drinks - and has more emphasis on eating vegetables and less on supplementation.

atkins.com has guidance and food lists for the 4 stages.

You could eat the same way following any version of Atkins, if you stick to the basic principles of restricting carbohydrates, eating a sensible amount of protein from fattier sources etc.

It's true that a recent publicised study achieved better results telling obese women to restrict carbohydrates than telling a similar group to limit fat, both cut about 500 cals / 25% out of their calorie intake.
  • I think the following book and link is great, check it out.
    The authors provide detailed information relating to low car/high fat. I have read the book and love it; learned a lot and continue to learn from the site. The web does provide a lot of information, but this book brought it together for me.

http://www.lowcarbhighfatdiets.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KNE08XW/ref=redir_mdp_mobile
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I wouldnt go low carb unless you'd like to eat that way forever. I dont like most meat very well, and adore rice/pasta/bread/potatoes.

My eating style takes into account my preferred way of eating, ie high in carbs/low in fat.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    I definitely don't think you need to buy anything special unless you want to. You can count your carbs using MFP and the internet has an enormous amount of low carb recipes for you to use. I will reiterate what has been said already, if you are trying to keep the weight off for good, exercise is definitely beneficial. Plus, you can have more food! I guess it just depends why you want to lose weight. It isn't necessary to exercise to lose weight, but it is better for your health to exercise.
  • courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    thank you everyone for your input. i just thought i would give low carb high fat a try(and longer than 2 weeks---since i was so fatigued). a lot of people have suggested to me the reason i keep getting so many migraines and just feel so tired and blah(no other way to describe it) is that my diet might have something to do with it regardless of how much sleep i get. i tried taking iron and b12 vitamins--didnt help. i tried laying off the caffeine-- didn't help. i do eat a ton of carbs because i too love bread, pasta, cereals. so maybe this might be a better option for me. my only issue is that i don't like many fruits or veggies, but the ones i do like i don't mind eating quite often(and i am making myself try new things in order to hopefully like them).
  • roseypdx
    roseypdx Posts: 12 Member
    I wouldn't go low carb - change the types of carbs you are eating! Instead of bread and pasta - add in more veggies and fruits and legumes. These are my primary sources of carbs and I add in nuts, seeds, tofu, eggs and egg whites, fish once or twice a week and once in a while meat. I even enjoy a glass of wine or two when I feel like it. I have lost 16 pounds and feel this is a way I can eat forever. Not only that - my skin looks great.