New Food Hack: Making Cheap Greek Yogurt From Plain

Options
HeidiCooksSupper
HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/HeidiCooksSupper/view/bargain-greek-yogurt-hack-694810

Shows how to easily make Greek yogurt from inexpensive plain yogurt and save money!

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've also used a coffee filter.... Seems to do the trick overnight in the fridge.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to try this. I've wondered about it before.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sounds easy enough and love the cost effectiveness of this method. I eat the Greek style yogurt for the added protein benefit. How does that come into play when making your own?
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    the increased protein is due to the yogurt being more concentrated - draining out some of the whey accomplishes that. I usually make my own yogurt, strain it, and then I can also use the whey in other recipes. Even cheaper.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've also used a coffee filter.... Seems to do the trick overnight in the fridge.

I've heard this and I tried and it was a huge mess because the filter broke all over, lol.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    Options
    Yeah, I think better than a coffee filter might be cloth. A clean non-terry dish towel, a well-washed old t-shirt, or actual purchased cheese cloth. Coffee filters have a tendency to disintegrate.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think better than a coffee filter might be cloth. A clean non-terry dish towel, a well-washed old t-shirt, or actual purchased cheese cloth. Coffee filters have a tendency to disintegrate.

Have never had a problem and have done it over a year this way..using 2 is recommended.. No way do I want my food through a old t-shirt..yuk

http://lifehacker.com/5908899/make-your-own-greek-yogurt-with-coffee-filters
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    Options
    No way do I want my food through a old t-shirt..yuk

I probably have a relatively low key yuck response in food prep. Probably the years I spent working in a hamburger roll factory and all the times one needed to walk through restaurant kitchens to get to the loo in NYC years ago. :wink:
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have done this before but then I read that the whey is where a lot of the protein is, so I don't want to lose the protein. Anyone know if there is any truth to this or what this method does to alter the protein content?
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Use the whey to make bread - and you have the best of both worlds
  • lhkim85
    lhkim85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Is this really cheaper, considering the yield? I assume there's less than a full container's worth after the yogurt has been strained but how much less?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    Options
    Is this really cheaper, considering the yield? I assume there's less than a full container's worth after the yogurt has been strained but how much less?

A quart of the inexpensive plain yogurt only costs 2/3 of a pint of the greek. After you've drained the quart, you have a pint for 2/3 the price.

And, yup, some of the protein in yogurt is in the whey so you may want to throw the whey in your smoothies.
  • laurakane1108
    laurakane1108 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recipes to use the Whey in? I would like to utilize it and not through it away but I'm not sure how to use it! Thanks in advance :)
  • skoutariotis
    skoutariotis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Why not use an old T-shirt? Adds more protein and lots of sodium! LOL!