Garmin Forereunner 15 VS Polar Loop

Options
Looking at some sort of activity tracker. Not sure which one to go with or what will fit my needs / wants the best. I run and walk a lot. Currently training for a half marathon. Anyone compared the Forerunner 15 vs the Polar Loop? Thoughts? Other suggestions.

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am reviewing trackers myself. I am using the nike + running app right now and I think it shorts my distance. I also have an inexpensive Lifetrak watch that was off, but calibratable... I like it as it counts, steps, miles, has a heart rate monitor etc.... BUT I am still looking.
    I used to have a tomtom runner and liked that it showed me, total time elapsed, current pace and average pace all on one screen. I sold it when I stopped running last year.
    NOW... I am looking at the tomtom cardio vs. a garmin. The tom tom cardio has a built in hrm... not a chest strap...which sounds amazing.
    It looks like Garmin is the boss on online data but the tomtom is pretty quick at getting location, plus I know that I liked this style watch in the past. I also like the tom tom cause I can run inside without a shoe sensor.
    I'll be watching this topic for others feedback as well.
    Monitors are always a big expense... want to choose wisely.
  • Scythe5
    Scythe5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I researched all kinds of fitness trackers (jawbone, fitbit, garmin, polar, etc.) and for what *I* do, the garmin vivofit was the best for my purpose. Apparently the vivosmart came out days after I bought my vivofit.....had it been out I might have opted for it.

Not sure if you need the more robust stuff, but the vivofit tracks steps (not stairs), heart rate (if you have a compatible HRM strap), calories (via Myfitnesspal), etc.

Since you are a straight up runner, I would recommend you research online for what might be best for runners. A quick search shows Runblogger.com recommends the vivofit, but also says the Forerunner 15 is worth a look. You may want to read the review.

I do mostly cardio type stuff (no running, but I do walk about 7K steps per day at work) and the HRM with the vivofit fits the bill for me.

Hope this helps
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Quite a bit different aims.

A Loop is a great tracker. It'll track your steps great. It'll track your HR when exorcising.

The FR 15 is a different beast. Sure, it has most of a vivofit/Loop built in. Doesn't track sleep though. BUT it adds GPS. It does run/walk intervals. Battery life is a whole lot less though.

Basically, if you want to use something to track your running, or do run/walk intervals, the forerunner is the way to go.

If you want to just track calories burned a day, the Loop is great. It won't help your running training though.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit for activity tracking - daily steps etc, polar watch for the gym and the F15 for my runs, looking to see if the F15 can replace the polar in the gym. The F15 only has like an 8 hr battery life when in activity tracker mode so requires charging regulary.

For a runner does the vivofit give you all the required data - distance, pace etc