360lbs. Looking to finally lose weight.

Options
Hey guys,

So, I'm Asch. 24. Male. 6 feet. 360lbs.

I work at my PC, around 12-14 hours per day. That's how I make my living, and that won't change. Up until 2 weeks ago, I spent pretty much my entire day at my PC, working, and playing video games. No walking around, really. My sister did the shopping, she also cooked the meals.

I currently sleep around 6-8 hours per day, which means I have time to exercise every day.

I just got a puppy with my sister 2 weeks ago (we live together) and we've started walking him every day for around 30 minutes. In the next month or so, that'll be upped to 45 minutes, followed by increasing up to an hour. I've currently lost nothing in those 2 weeks of 30 minute walks (although my calves, and ankles are aching!), so I'm looking to improve how I eat. I can't keep walking at this weight, as it's only going to end up damaging my ankles!

So, I joined MFP in an attempt to change what I eat, and start fitting in some other exercises, aside from just basic walking the dog. I'll be reading around the forums throughout the day, but what do you guys suggest I do? MFP says 2,300 calories per day. What should that be filled with? I typically eat a bunch of meat, often on rolls, or with rice, some pasta on occasion, and drink a lot of soda. That's pretty much it. It's unhealthy, I know.

I should also mention I've only been eating 1 meal per day. I'm assuming I need to increase that to at least 3. I'm also guessing a lot more water, and vegetables as well.

So yeah.. any help would have my eternal gratitude! I need help losing weight now, before I end up hitting 400lbs!

Thanks for reading, and hope to see some helpful responses!

Regards,
~asch.

Replies

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything at least until you learn what is the right portion size.

Drink more water. Bin the soda!

Eat veggies. They're tasty, nutritionally good for you and will help to fill you up. Don't cover them in sauces or butter! Your taste buds will change and they'll become the best things ever, though it may take a while.

Set yourself a timber and get up from your pc every 30 minutes or so. Take a walk around the room. Do some stretches.

Log everything on here! Be honest with yourself, otherwise what's the point. Get some MFP friends who will support and encourage you.
  • _Asch
    Options
    What do you recommend in terms of dairy? I absolutely love cheese! It'd be impossible to give that up! Don't really care about milk - but I could see myself blending strawberries or bananas into a milkshake every morning - since I loathe fruit! haha.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You can still eat cheese and stuff, just moderate how much and what kinds. I do the ketogenic diet which is basically meats and cheese - my two favorite food. :wink: The ketogenic diet is high fats, moderate proteins, and low carbs. However, there's many different ways to lose weight. I tried the low fat, high protein diet for a while and didn't like it; so, I switched to keto which I love! I would recommend also getting up from your desk ever 30-60 minutes just to take a 5 minute stretch/walking break. If you're doing something where you're timed on the comp then I would just do it whenever you have a break. I would stretch more and do "floor work" i.e plank position and such just to start getting your body adapted. I "stretch" my legs when I have to sit down for a long time (basically just moving them - contracting and relaxing). The problem with sitting all day (I have a job where I sit up to 22 hours) is that you stretch out your posterior muscles i.e. gluteus maximus and hamstrings and shorten your quads - you need to workout in a way to adverse this effect. Try walking faster too. That might help. When I'm able to get up in my job I will walk fast or jog to wherever I can i.e bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, and etc. I'll skip or lunge too. Hope this helps!
  • RachelInSpace
    RachelInSpace Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So I'm fairly new to this but one thing I've learned that has been a huge help - don't drink your calories. And I don't mean alcohol, I mean regular, everyday soda/pop or fruit juice. Well, artificial fruit juice.

I used to drink six or seven cans of Dr. Pepper a day. Now all I have is water. I FEEL so much better.... and I can use my calories to fill up on healthy foods. An apple is so much better than a cup of fake apple juice... ditto with oranges.

That's just my tip of the day, I guess. :) Good luck!
  • RachelInSpace
    RachelInSpace Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Set yourself a timber and get up from your pc every 30 minutes or so. Take a walk around the room. Do some stretches.

Oh yeah, and this! I play video games for fun, too. But I plan on taking breaks and running around outside with my dog every half hour or so.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That 30 calorie almond milk is awesome for shakes and smoothies. Feel free to check my diary, I started at close to your weight (unfortunately so NOT your height), but have been pretty steadily losing about 10 lbs a month for the past 14 months and I eat normal everyday people food and believe in MANY treats so I don't go crazy and binge. I would add friends who have open diaries and cruise them for meal ideas.
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Since it's all about calories in, calories out, you can still eat 1 meal a day if that's what you prefer. A few people here do it and have had success. You have to make sure the 1 meal fits in your goals and you'll be fine.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Start where you are at in terms of eating, and log everything you eat. Then pick something in your MFP food diary to change, like drinking only half as much soda, substituting water for the soda. Once you are doing that regularly, change something else. Add veggies one at a time. When I was your age, the only vegetables I ate were pickles and catsup on my cheeseburger. Now I'm a vegetarian, and I LOVE vegetables. I crave them if I don't get them. If you start slowly, you won't get frustrated by the huge change and give up. Same for exercise. Start walking, every day, as far as you can, and increase the distance daily by a little bit. You are a young man. You will be surprised how well you will do like this. Good luck to you!!!
  • forgivensins
    forgivensins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Similar starting weight, similar job issues, also just got a dog. I cut out soda, I like to replace it with seltzer water. It wasn't easy at first-just a reduction in amount, so those tiny cans, then one every other day, then one every few days, then once a week, then only when I felt like I wanted it which was rarely and now, rarely ever. My calories are a bit lower than yours (probably because I'm female) but I've realized that focusing on healthier eating doesn't just mean portioning out whatever you want but also incorporating more fruits and veggies. Something that's helped is I broke down my Food tab as six meals instead of 3 so I can log better. I also started walking like 1/4 mile at first with my dog. It was HARD. I was quite literally hurting. Now I make about 5-6 miles a day (and it's only a few months later). Go slow. If you need to stop and rest, do it. I also got a stepper at Walmart and a little pedaler from Amazon. Sometimes I just pedal when I take a break from report writing or something. Walk back and forth around the house. I hate doing it but it helps. I also got a pedometer. If it says I have a quarter mile before I'm at my daily goal I will find a reason to pace the entire house and put away things. The littlest things help. Whatever is your favorite food, find an alternative. I need chocolate, I buy dark and portion it out. Small changes, every little bit counts.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I think that you are heading in a good direction!!! In my opinion, I would start with a few small steps so that the transition is not overwhelming. Yes, increase your meals to at least 3. You are going to have to measure your food and you are going to have to be HONEST! Everything counts. This includes the small handful of something that you grabbed in passing. It all has calories.

You've got to get rid of the soda habit. Right now, you are drinking most of your calories. How much do you drink? For starters, what if you replace half of the pop you drink with water (or crystal light/flavored water, if you struggle with plain water).

And yes, you can still have cheese :) but you have to measure it. It MUST fit into your calorie limit.

Just my two cents…..
  • mtyler7718
    Options
    Hey guys,

I work at my PC, around 12-14 hours per day. That's how I make my living, and that won't change. Up until 2 weeks ago, I spent pretty much my entire day at my PC, working, and playing video games. No walking around, really. My sister did the shopping, she also cooked the meals.

I currently sleep around 6-8 hours per day, which means I have time to exercise every day.

I just got a puppy with my sister 2 weeks ago (we live together) and we've started walking him every day for around 30 minutes. In the next month or so, that'll be upped to 45 minutes, followed by increasing up to an hour. I've currently lost nothing in those 2 weeks of 30 minute walks (although my calves, and ankles are aching!), so I'm looking to improve how I eat. I can't keep walking at this weight, as it's only going to end up damaging my ankles!

So, I joined MFP in an attempt to change what I eat, and start fitting in some other exercises, aside from just basic walking the dog. I'll be reading around the forums throughout the day, but what do you guys suggest I do? MFP says 2,300 calories per day. What should that be filled with? I typically eat a bunch of meat, often on rolls, or with rice, some pasta on occasion, and drink a lot of soda. That's pretty much it. It's unhealthy, I know.

I should also mention I've only been eating 1 meal per day. I'm assuming I need to increase that to at least 3. I'm also guessing a lot more water, and vegetables as well.

So yeah.. any help would have my eternal gratitude! I need help losing weight now, before I end up hitting 400lbs!

Regards,
    ~asch.

Welcome! At one point about 15 years ago, I weighed almost 80 lbs more than I do today--so I know what it's like to have a lot to lose.

This is what works for me:

Eat foods that are filled with protein because that stays with you much longer than carbs do. I recommend snacks that aren't necessarily 'diet foods' (those never really satisfy me for the long haul) such as a teaspoon of peanut butter with an apple, unsalted almonds (in fact, watch your sodium levels anyway as this makes you retain water and it just isn't good for your liver or kidneys), trail mix, a hard boiled egg--those types of snacks).

I eat fewer carbs than I ever had. When I do eat carbs, they are natural such as an ear of corn on the cob, multigrain pasta, brown rice, oatmeal--those types of things. I really limit the amount of refined sugar I eat and try to eat naturally sweet snacks such as Greek yogurt with blueberries or honey in it.

Walk every day. Buy and use a pedometer--it really does help because it encourages you to beat your own # of steps each day. Try to walk a little further each day. On rainy days, I even walk around my house--going up and down stairs or just walking at a good clip. I also invested in a recumbent bike--as I have a chronic painful back condition and this type of exercise really works great.

Strength exercises are SO important--they don't burn as many calories as cardio but in the long run it will pay off because muscles increase your metabolism; fat slows it down. In fact, when you start working out and begin gaining muscle, you might see a slowdown in weight loss or even weight gain (slightly)--don't get discouraged because muscle weighs more than fat does.

Don't limit yourself to 'diet foods'-- for me, this has to be a way of life so it has to be a way of eating I can live with. I have thyroid issues so I will forever be eating this new way. I love wine--my husband and I have a wine cellar so I make allowances for this one indulgence but usually use my 'reward' (exercise) points to have those things i truly love, like wine, the occasional pizza, etc.

You're going to blow it--we all do--that's not important. What IS important is to get back to logging and not get discouraged. If you stick with it, it should not be long before you really feel the benefits of your new lifestyle.

Another thing I do when I am hungry is to visualize carrying around huge suitcases full of fat. I do this because I know with my back condition how much it hurts to lift 20 lbs. I imagine myself carrying around 30 lbs of fat in suitcases--this really helps me stay on track. I also have a picture pasted to my refrigerator where I weigh my absolute lowest. That stops me from opening the door a LOT.

You can do it!!! It's great that you are here! Don't expect quick results--lose weight slowly and carefully. It's healthier and will stay off. Best of luck to you and Welcome!!

Cheers!

Melinda
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

So first, get a handle on your calories in.
    Going by BMI, you should be 140-180, so you have at least 180 lb to lose.
    This is going to take several years.
    Here's a BMI chart: http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

To maintain your current weight, you're eating 3600 cal per day.
    To lose 2 lb per week, cut 1000 cal per day (2600).
    As you lose weight, hit plateaus, cut another 50-100 cal at a time.
    Once you get to 1800 per day, stop there, because that's what you'll need to maintain your healthy goal weight (180).
    When you get closer to your goal weight, the rate of weight loss will slow, & you shouldn't be eating at such a deficit.
    (See below.)
    MFP says 2,300 calories per day. What should that be filled with? I typically eat a bunch of meat, often on rolls, or with rice, some pasta on occasion, and drink a lot of soda. That's pretty much it. It's unhealthy, I know.
    This calculator will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various foods to eat to maintain that weight.
    If you enter your healthy goal weight from above, this will help you plan your food intake.
    https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
    Definitely lose the soda. Do it gradually if you must, but have no more than 1 serving a week of regular soda.

And yes, it is better to spread out your calories. You're less likely to binge because you won't be starving.
    Eat breakfast. Eat a large breakfast (about half your calories).

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ... "
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • _Asch
    Options
    Wow, that's an overwhelming amount of response and information - thank you so much, guys! I'll be starting off with chicken+carrots+beans+corn for the first week, with rice/cereal in the mornings and see how that goes over the next couple weeks. I'll stick with walking + begin weight training tomorrow morning. Do any of you have any recommendations for weight exercises at the beginning?

Thanks again everyone! This is a lot of help!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Regards,
    ~asch.

If you can stop the soda and drink water that would be great, if not half the soda for now until you can wean yourself off. Why waste calories on soda when you can eat them? Lol.

You don't have to eat 3 times a day if you don't want to, if you prefer one meal a day that's fine. Eat alot of protein it will keep you feeling full for longer than other macros. Add vegetables to your diet, they contain vital nutrients your body needs.

Maybe look into lifting, find a beginners program online. Do a liitle more cardio.

You'll soon be on your way to losing weight!
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think everybody is giving you good advice. You DEFINITELY need to have breakfast and lunch and dinner. You also need to have a snack or two. Do not let yourself get HUNGRY because then you will grab junk food. Plan your meals! It takes a little effort at first, but once you get in the habit it is not hard at all!

You probably should do some knee and feet exercises. Standing with your feet together bend both knees and circle them as if you are rolling a hoola hoop around your knees. Do it four time one direction then four times the other. Again with feet together and knees bent point both knees left, push them forward in a half circle and point them both right.

Standing with both feet together and knees straight. Start by lifting your right heel off the ground and rolling through your left foot push off the floor and lift your left knee as high as you can, then return your foot the the floor rolling through the foot. Do the same on the other foot. This will be as if you are marching on the spot lifting your knees as high as you can. Put really work your feet.

These should be done before you go for your walks because they will warm up and strengthen you weak spots and make it easier to walk.

And most importantly BE PATIENT. You will have to keep at it for years to get the results you want, but if you keep at it, you will get the fit sleek body you seek!
  • _Asch
    Options
    I don't mind waiting. (: My main goal is to just drop out of the 300's! It's terrible all the way up here, haha.
  • annetteraley
    annetteraley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    With MFP you'll notice it is set up for Breakfast, AM Snack, Lunch, PM Snack, Dinner and records how much water you drink.

It is so important to feed your body as outlined. If you don't especially if you eat only 1 meal a day your body is determined it
    is starving so it Keeps that food and stores as Fat.....

By eating as outlined, Measure everything and record everything. I make soups, love 'em cause I can pack them with high protein meats, best choice veggies and control the salt (sodium)
    When your sister cooks, record every item she is using and how cooked, it will show you where you are or are not getting proper nutrition.

I stay away from ALMOST all carbs.... have Low Carb bread every now and then with high protein meats, mustard instead of mayo. Brown Rice instead of white.

Breakfast, I have either 1 of 2 regulars.
    1. Blender = fresh strawberries, bananas, 1 scoop Whey Protein powder and 1 leaf of Raw Kaleor a handful of Spinach (helps to get veggies in) .

2. Micro 1/4 egg whites, low sodium deli ham, or turkey breast on a Orowheat Thin Round. Bagel size, but very thin.... it is satisfying.

Snack = Apples, Red Bell Pepper (really sweet as a raw veggie), Cucumber w/ skin on it

Lunch, usually my homemade soups or a Lean Cuisine,

Rule of thumb the Protein must be within 10 of the Calories Example: 190 Calories, I am looking for close to 19g protein.
    Makes is easy to read the box and pick out the highest protein in comparison to the Calories. Bad would be 280 Calories with 9g proteim, I would be looking for close to 28. It can be done.

I buy "loin" meats, Pork tenderloin, Turkey Tenderloin, Chicken Tenderloin - they are very lean.

Yogurt = get the "GREEK" it's almost twice the protein versus regular yogurt, then add a small amount of healthy granola or raw nuts, helps to add texture/crunch and adds a little extra nutrition.

Lastly = Tofu, it can take on the taste of whatever it is with. I love it in Asian dishes, but have to watch the sodium. High Protein, Low Calorie ....

I had lost 80 pounds primarily with only change in diet, I lost my way due to unfortunate circumstances but I know it can be done and I am doing it now for me and my daughter !

I too want to live a healthier life, I am on Meds, starting Osteoporosis in the hips. gotta do this for the right reason. Me !

We are all here for each other and prayer for your success.
  • annetteraley
    annetteraley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the 30 Calorie Almond Milk, our entire family has gotten to where we no longer care for the taste of actual milk...
  • _Asch
    _Asch Posts: 5
    Options
    Just an update: I started at exactly 366lbs (I listed 360lbs as I had no plan on coming back here, and just figured I'd round it down.)

I'm currently weighing in at around 332lbs - which is a 34lbs loss. That is, of course, spread over 3 months. Not sure if that's great progress, or just because I weigh so much LOL.

Either way, just letting everyone know that I'm currently going at it! (:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Good for you and congrats :)