A set back for me.. =/

Options
hey guys, ive been doing VERY good on my weight loss, so i decided to amp it up and see if i could loose more than 2 pounds per. week. so far, i have lost 29 pounds. i started my weight loss on october 6th, at 217. i am now 188 :). i am noticing changes in pictures, but not in the mirror. it sucks, but i know i won't change over night. anyway,

i amped up my exercising from an hour, to 2 hours a day. i started walking 3 miles a day, and i started that on saturday. well, on monday, i was 186. woohoo! this morning, i jumped up to 190. i always have weight flucuations, but they are usually no more than 2 pounds. i was very excited to see a 18something on the scale instead of 19something.

any ideas?

Replies

• kyliedurnan
    kyliedurnan Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    hmm , same kind of thing happened to me.. maybe muscle?
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    This is ME! Ugh. I hate it too so I feel your pain. Just hang in there! Did you eat a high sodium meal? That always does it for me. Congrats on your loss so far. That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary, but if you doubled the amount of exercise you are doing...did you also eat enough to make up for those extra calories lost? You might be heading into starvation mode if not.
  • troyacobb
    Options
    First of all! Awesome! You are an inspiration to me.

The weight gain could be increased muscle mass from the extra working out. That is why it is good to measure your waist line as well and check both periodically. Also, I stopped checking so much. It is good to pick one day of the week to check weight and measurements. I always weigh and measure on Saturday morning.

Hope this helps and keep up the great work!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    No, its not muscle; its water. When you exercise a lot your muscles need to repair and they retain water to do so.

Losing more than 2 lbs a week is not healthy and will, among other things, give your skin no time to reform as you lose. If you are losing more than 2lbs a week and not morbidly obese, you really aren't doing your body or your metabolism any favors in the long run.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    "Who cares" is the answer to your problem. You're doing the right things, right? You're burning more than you're taking in, right? You feel good right? So, you could sit here and postulate about what 'happened' (by the way, it's water retention due to something in your system, either muscle breakdown from working out, high sodium, etc...but it's temporary), but it doesn't matter. What does matter is that if you keep doing what you're doing (and keep upping your exercise...just get your rest), you're going to see that number trend down. If you looked at my loss going from my high to my maintenance weight and bf% it looked like the intraday stock market numbers. Just look at the trend and your activity. Keep doing what your doing and stop being a slave to the scale. Now stop typing and go work out.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    No, its not muscle; its water. When you exercise a lot your muscles need to repair and they retain water to do so.

Losing more than 2 lbs a week is not healthy and will, among other things, give your skin no time to reform as you lose. If you are losing more than 2lbs a week and not morbidly obese, you really aren't doing your body or your metabolism any favors in the long run.

Very interesting to remember!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    is your period due? have you had a good poop recently? those things can make you weigh more...
  • rachelsewardxo
    Options
    yeah , maybe you just need to poop <3
  • mandiex0
    mandiex0 Posts: 174
    Options
    hey everyone!

-no i did not increase my calorie intake. i stay between 1000 and 1200, and workout heavily for 70 minutes.
    (gym for 30min. and walk/jog 3miles)
    -i am considered 'obese' for my height .. i dont know about morbidly
    -my period just ended
    -i did a little poopy earlier, but not a big one :) hehehe
    -i am doing the right things, it just sucks to see a big weight gain on the scale

i will keep this thread open and keep you's posted. thanks for your advice, i think i am going to go with the idea that its either muscle, or water. check out these pics!!

(( http://img7.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20110125at540.png/ ))

by the way, troyacobb im glad i am an inspiration. keep up YOUR good work.