"Runner's" Knee

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions of substitute exercises other than running and T25, which has been my regimen all summer. I definitely have runner's knee and have been wearing my brace and trying to keep off of it, but I still have pain. I really don't want to get in the habit of not working out again. I've been attempting yoga here and there, but I'm not the biggest fan....

Replies

• AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Having the same problem...runners knee

In for suggestions too
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Swimming and using an elliptical are good options. I tried yoga and it wasn't for me either. I did Pilates once upon a time and it was actually fun.
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Lol, I read this as I was on my bike-desk, because of my stupid knee. Cycling can not only give you your exercise, but in strengthening the quads is said to assist with reducing the patello-femoral (runner's knee) syndrome.

Amazon has desk bikes, as well as deck-treadmills, so I have both, and now alternate between them. I also do a jumpoline (mini trampoline) and some days no cardio, just lifting.

If you don't mind yard sales and such, you can often get exercise equipment for CHEAP, as slackers stop using it. ;) I got my jumpoline for 5$. :)
  • DaveDeLange
    Options
    I'm prone to the same problem too.

Do you run on hard surfaces? I find my knee is fine if I keep to running on grass or woodland paths, etc.

Changing my foot strike also helped considerably, from mainly "heel striking" to "midfoot" striking.

I feared I would have to stop running due to knee problems and shin splints, but I have found I can run again with no problems (so far).
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Cycling for me, running would knock my knees and back out in no time at all.. The drawbacks outweight the benifits for me.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I learned to work through my runner's knee when I was in the military. What helps for me is to use a foam roller on the outside of your thigh to roll and stretch your IT band. Stretch your IT band when your muscles are warm after exercise. I still run and if I increase my mileage too quickly my runner's knee will sneak back in. I stop running if it starts to hurt and try again the next day if I'm feeling no pain. I will run until it starts to hurt and eventually mine will just stop if I slowly increase my mileage.
  • Aemylue
    Aemylue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had to have arthroscopic surgery on my knee this summer because of a torn miniscus and lack of cartiledge. The Dr. said about the only 2 exercises he would not recommend were running and jumping. I have done the T25 with the low impact substitutions and it was good. My go-to now for cardio is the elliptical or a spin class. I also do weight lifting and I have been experimenting with a TRX class, which i like a lot. There are a lot of ways to get in a bit of exercise that does not involve any high impact stuff
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had sore knees and a whole lot of PF (plantar fasciitis) about 2 years ago. I switched to barefoot running, which forces your form towards a midfoot strike and taking it slow. I've had 0 knee and PF problems since. But yes, to heal it first (which you need to do!)... you need to rest.

Try swimming, cycling at a high cadence, or just walking (if it doesn't hurt) for exercise until the pain eases up.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees from football(a couple torn meniscus and synovial joint cystsand probably a bit of arthritis)
    I found swimming really helps. Especially because it is a full body workout. I am exhausted and sore after every trip to the pool. Elliptical I feel are a waste of time, because you tend to just use momentum. I mean, yea you are burning but not near what you think.

Biking is good too but I still get issues with my knees if I go to hard.

I found getting the right running shoe really helped. I like the asics nimbus gel, they tend to absorb a bit more of the shock my knees normally take. Knee pain went way down once I switched, so not sure if you have looked into that as an alternative but if not its worth a shot.