What was your first intense workout like?

Options
How did your body react? Did any of you throw up?

My family seems to have a problem with asthma or something so I was wheezing and coughing a lot after and during my first real intense workout but it's gone away now.
Now, the same is happening to a friend of mine and it's discouraging him from running.... It wasn't BAD but it was a little bit of wheezing (just the whistle sound when breathing) and coughing...
I heard this happens when you're really out of shape and have allergies but idk anymore...

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I've never thrown up... I have an absolutely iron stomach when it comes to exercise. But I have passed out before!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    How did your body react? Did any of you throw up?

My family seems to have a problem with asthma or something so I was wheezing and coughing a lot after and during my first real intense workout but it's gone away now.
    Now, the same is happening to a friend of mine and it's discouraging him from running.... It wasn't BAD but it was a little bit of wheezing (just the whistle sound when breathing) and coughing...
    I heard this happens when you're really out of shape and have allergies but idk anymore...

I have asthma. You learn to work with it.

My first HARD workout, I would say came earlier this year. It beat my tri stuff and climbing stuff by a far margin. Within a half hour I had made two trips to the head because I thought I was going to throw up.

Then another 15 minutes later my legs collapsed from under me. It was a legs workout with a new trainer. It was good.

With running, if you wheeze, take a bronkaid, and then go a little slower. You'll get used to it. Also, do some breathing exercises. Find a resistance breather, and try it out. It's increased my breathing volume significantly.
  • jallforme3
    jallforme3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm starting slow and working my way up, to prevent any too crazy body reactions. But, my exercise has been solely running that past few weeks---so when I can feel something coming on, I slow down to a walk. Hopefully next month, once my running is more routine, I can start incorporating some plyo. Now THAT is what kills me!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    If you're out of shape, you will be out of breath. Unless your symptoms are very strong, when you're out of shape, it will be difficult to diagnose asthma. If after 6 months, your fitness has improved and your breathing has not, it's a good idea to go to the doctor to be evaluated for asthma.

I have exercise-induced asthma. It's obnoxious. I literally have a respiratory allergic response to exercising: throat swells, chest is heavy and tight, can't seem to suck in enough air, coughing, runny nose. You can train through your threshold and make it better: a few years ago, I could only be active for 10-15 seconds at a time before I HAD TO sit down and stop, now I can keep moving for a while. No idea how long I can run for since I get bored well before I get winded, but I can easily dance for 4 hours straight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Well my first "real" workout I tried to keep up with some of the veterans and did arms with them. For 2 weeks I couldn't straighten my arms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've never thrown up after a workout, but I usually don't push myself past my limits.

My first intense workout that I remember, I was still really sore four days later, having trouble sitting, walking down stairs, etc. That was with only basic exercises like lunges with light weights, but that was the sorest I've ever been.