Things your parents taught you (that aren't common)

Options

Replies

• amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    Well this is more an oddball quirk.... My dad firmly believes that scrambled eggs is a pudding, so as children we had dinner, then scrambled eggs on toast for pudding (no added sugar, just with milk and sometimes parsley and tomatoes). I have yet to find someone with the same quirk :)
    As an adult, I eat scrambled eggs at breakfast :)
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My mother was an artist, sculptor, painter. I learned the proper proportions of the human figure. I learned the color wheel.

I learned to polish silver. I now have inherited that silver.

My father was only with us when I was very young. I learned to love to fly because he had a small plane and would take us up with him. I was never afraid.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    My mum: to always be able to finance myself. To embroider, knit and crochet.

My dad: how to change a plug,. Be good at card games.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Learned how to shred a coconut (with a seated shredder) and how to chop it in half while holding it in my hand with a machete.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    my DAD (yes, him) taught my how to braid and do cute loops and things with hair. i also once wrote in a thanksgiving card that i was happy my dad taught me how to cross the street. he's a civil engineer for the department of traffic. he taught me A LOT about bike safety also.

my mom taught me how to play cribbage at an early age and i played in a lot of tournaments. she also taught me how to play sports like baseball and golf.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    A nearly lost art in today's society... how to raise, kill, and butcher your own meat for the table,
    My folks taught me this too!
    They also taught me:
    to safely recognize and use wild plants for food & medicine
    preserving techniques for meats, fruits, vegetables & herbs
    to save seeds & grow my own food

My mother taught me to sew & knit.
    My father taught me to draw & paint.

All of these skills I use regularly & have had many opportunities to teach others. Thanks Mom & Dad!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    A nearly lost art in today's society... how to raise, kill, and butcher your own meat for the table,
    My folks taught me this too!
    They also taught me:
    to safely recognize and use wild plants for food & medicine
    preserving techniques for meats, fruits, vegetables & herbs
    to save seeds & grow my own food

My mother taught me to sew & knit.
    My father taught me to draw & paint.

All of these skills I use regularly & have had many opportunities to teach others. Thanks Mom & Dad!

Your dad sounds like my dad. Wonderful!!!
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    My grandparents taught me more than anything.
    1. Basic automotive - change the oil, air filter, sparkplugs, check all the fluids, properly use jumper cables, change a tire (on a dually, no less)
    2. Basic plumbing
    3. How to garden
    4. How to cook - not from a can or a box, either. Homemade from scratch. I still love to cook and bake. Everything from cutting up a whole chicken to baking cakes from scratch

They taught me not to waste anything - everything has a use and purpose.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    shoot
    pistol safety
    riding and shooting
    how to snap a circle
    set a trap
    how to be situationally aware.

mom taught me how to cook but more on baking, how to sew and teach myself how to do things.

Mostly they taught me to use my brain. they taught me honor and respect for people and things.
    how to pay my dues
    how to work hard
    that moderation in life is important.
    how to not be an *kitten*.

my parents are kind of awesome actually.
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My dad taught me how to weld! And the basics of car body work and metalflake paint. The funny thing is I never got my drivers license but I know more about cars than most women my age.

My mom taught me how to fish and garden.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    My dad has a gun collection and enjoys shooting, so in addition to teaching me about guns, he taught me to make bullets. I was packing them with gunpowder in elementary school.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My parents taught me inadvertently to keep my credit score up. Theirs are AWFUL, so I've seen how hard it is to get by with terrible credit.

Also to never smoke, because growing up I always got told how much my clothes stunk and my house stunk.

And lastly, to graduate high school, because both of my parents dropped out in high school, and my mom has always had a hard time getting jobs with no GED or high school diploma.
  • chickwithpencil
    chickwithpencil Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Dad: Do things right the first time, dirty jokes, dirty nursery rhymes, pretty much everything about baseball, how to fight; that if you have to fart in a car with other people in it, at least have the forethought to lock all of the windows so they won't roll down; sex education to the point he left nothing to the imagination (I've repressed most of that conversation;) ways to annoy the heck out of relatives; to make sure I was saying the "th" at the beginning of words, etc,

Mom: how to find, gather, wash, hull and crack open black walnuts; how to play and gamble at poker; how to walk down steep hills; how to identify people's "crops" and why you should stay away from those buckets in the mountains; how to properly cook the poison out of pokeweed (we're Appalachian.)

You did say things that weren't common, right? ;)
  • addaloria
    addaloria Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    THAT is HILARIOUS.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Dad: Do things right the first time, dirty jokes, dirty nursery rhymes, pretty much everything about baseball, how to fight; that if you have to fart in a car with other people in it, at least have the forethought to lock all of the windows so they won't roll down; sex education to the point he left nothing to the imagination (I've repressed most of that conversation;) ways to annoy the heck out of relatives; to make sure I was saying the "th" at the beginning of words, etc,

Mom: how to find, gather, wash, hull and crack open black walnuts; how to play and gamble at poker; how to walk down steep hills; how to identify people's "crops" and why you should stay away from those buckets in the mountains; how to properly cook the poison out of pokeweed (we're Appalachian.)

You did say things that weren't common, right? ;)

Oooh yes, my dad also taught me dirty jokes, and both my parents taught me to play poker! We'd play with pennies! x)
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Father: Taught me how to higher contractors from quote to finished correctly.

Mother: Taught me to have them test is before they leave.

Grandmother: Never use credit for less than $1,000. Save up. You'll save more $ by not paying interest.

Dad's motto: "How can I be out of money, I still have some more checks."
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    My mom is is half German, and my grandmother full German. So I was taught German swear words. My mom would tell me, "If you have nothing nice to say about some-one just curse em out in another language. They'll think your giving them a compliment."
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That, when butchering chickens, if you grab one of the cut off legs, grab the main tendon with your nails and yank, the claws open and close and you can chase your kids around the yard with it, cackling like a maniac.

Ah, farm life.
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Dad taught me that getting mad and having a temper doesn't solve anything.

He's the most mellow person I know and he's never in a bad off mood.

I love that because it's true.
  • SugarBabyGirl
    SugarBabyGirl Posts: 7,026 Member
    Options
    My grandpa had a store and from the time I could sit on the stool at the register I counted change back to customers. This was in the early 70's so the register did not tell me how much.

I ran into someone once who knew of the store and he'd said he remembered this tiny little girl about two years old sitting up there and the man would ring in the items and the customer would pay the kid who would count back perfect change quickly. That would have been me.