Any experience maintaining a BMI of 20

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Eh my BMI is 22 and my period has been totally irregular since I went under 23. My doctor says it has more to do with how much you exercise than what your BMI is.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Health problems and issues with menses cycles are more of a nutrition problem and/or over exercising then body fat %

I'm 5'7" and been maintaining at 123.5 without a problem, healthiest I've ever been. But numbers are arbitrary, start by losing and stop when you feel good how you look and feel.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 20 or so right now... I lost my period at a BMI of 22-23... not sure what the deal is. Have done plenty of blood tests and everything always comes back perfect :noway: :huh:
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    After a cut I'm usually at 19 even for BMI and 17 % BF, no problems. I've had all of the kids I'm going to have, so I'm not too worried about it. Some women have to get closer to 15% before they lose their period. It all depends on the individual.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" also and have been maintaining between 123-128 for a few months now. Most days I'm either 125 or 126. I don't get my period anyway because of an IUD but I was this height/weight combo before and didn't have any trouble. I'm a medium build as well.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have a bmi of 20, I'm 5'4 120lbs. I look pretty skinny versus muscular though. I'm ok with that, but others aren't.
  • BornxVillain
    BornxVillain Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Anything below a BMI of 20 for ME personally has me ill feeling, and very irregular with my shark week. :tongue:

Remember that everything is tailor fit to you, it's all about your own personal experience and how well you feel.
    Healthy not just Skinny is what we all should aim for!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Had a BMI around 19 for most of my adult life, I am almost 40 now, have 3 kids. Never had a problem with it, quite the opposite, I have several hormonal problems, like PCOS, hypothyroidism, insulin resistance and the endocrinologist wants me to maintain my weight low. Experience tells me that at least PCOS symptoms are non-existent when I am on the low normal BMI range, start to appear for me with a BMI around 21 (abnormal periods, acne are the basic ones). For my height, the difference between 19 and 21 is only 6 kilos (13 lbs) and while both weights are within normal BMI range, it still makes a difference for my health.
  • becclesbecca
    becclesbecca Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree that it more to do with the amount of exercise than your BMI. I had a BMI of 21 but was exercising a bit excessively and my periods stopped for nearly a year. As long as your body fat percentage is normal and you are still getting your periods a BMI of around 20 should be fine.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's more about BF%, not just BMI. I think it usually cuts out when you hit 15% or lower with BF
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    Options
    Wow I'm also 5'6 and started at 141lbs!! And my goal weight is also 125lbs! And my current weight is around 131-132.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Remember that bmi is not a measure of body fat. Body fat is what's important to mensruating. Two women can have a bmi of 19. One can have 28 percent bf. The other one 18% or less. The one who has the lower bf could lose her period. So the woman who says she has a bmi of 19 and still gets her period--thats an indication she has enough fat on her body.