Things your parents taught you (that aren't common)

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My Mom taught me how to make pie crust. She always made the best light, flaky crust and she gave me her tips.

Most parents teach their kids to drive, but my Dad taught me how to drive on ice and snow. He took me out on the lake to put the car into a spin and learn how to steer out of it. His advice in a nutshell: "on ice or snow, whatever you do, don't try to do it quickly. Don't try to stop quick, don't try to start quick, and don't try to turn quick". I have never had trouble in my 40+ years of winter driving.
  • TanyaLafley
    TanyaLafley Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My dad taught me to dance and split firewood. My mom taught me to tie a man's necktie and make shrimp gumbo from scratch.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My mom taught me to count back change and how to do my own laundry at eight years old.

My grandma taught me how to crotchet.

My dad taught me to garden and how to shoot a rifle.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    How to ask for the ashtray in Spanish at the age of 6!!!
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    Combat skills, my dad was a ranger. My mom was a conman, conperson? She taught me things like if you want to sell a lie make it a doozy. They also made me memorize hundreds of verses from the bible and learn the tax code when I was little. Seems strange but it has actually come in handy more than once. I love them, but my parents were nuts. Oh and exceptionally clean, to this day when I open the fridge I hear "are you in there with cat on your hands?" and I don't even have a cat. :laugh:
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My mom taught me that when a boy is mean to you, it does NOT, in fact, mean that they like you. It just means they're douches. I think it's saved me a lot of trouble.

She also taught me how to tile and grout floors, and a helluva lot about home improvement/increasing resale value of a house in general. Thanks, mom!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My mom taught me that when a boy is mean to you, it does NOT, in fact, mean that they like you. It just means they're douches. I think it's saved me a lot of trouble.

oh yes so much of this!

My parents also taught me that because someone is an adult means you have to be POLITE to them, not that you have to defer to them or even necessarily respect them. No "ma'am" or "sir" was taught in my house and I could effectively "talk back to" rude neighbors or nosy aunts and uncles...however I was NOT a bratty kid, just assertive and confident...I am grateful for that to this day.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Mom managed a bowling alley during my teen years. I learned how to repair pin spotter machines and how to clean & oil the lanes while working for her. I also learned how to get free games on the Donkey Kong machine after we closed - but I figured that one out on my own. :smokin:

Both my parents insisted on respect and manners. Every now and then someone will say "your mama raised you right" when I hold the door or say "yes ma'am".

Last thing, dad taught me how to fly. More or less. He was a private pilot and certified instructor. We spent a lot of time in the air but I never bothered to get my license.

Sam
  • atinystorminyourteacup
    Options
    My grandma has taught me how to make various casseroles and baked goods. She also taught me all the jargon of her older cookbooks and various tricks in cooking and baking. I have learned to make food last in tight times, if the need ever arises. She also taught me that money cannot be taken to the grave with us; therefore, money should never affect or be valued more than the more important things in life: family, friends, love and happiness.

My mother taught me similar principles; that there are more important things in life than things that can be bought with money. She gave me my love for books, my love for education, and my love for the health field. She also taught me piano and cultured my love for the arts; namely music and dance.

Though these things may seem common, I really see it less and less today in people my age.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Also crocheting from my great grandma.
    Caring for Apple trees from my great grandpa, he loves his apples.
    My dad taught me all the pick up lines that guys use, so that I don't fall for them.
    My dad also taught me some moves for defence, moves to cripple.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    My Mom:
    - How to make pie crust and tortillas
    - To be gracious and kind to everyone - no matter their attitude.
    - Poop jokes are always funny
    - How to give awesome hugs and love unconditionally
    - Diplomacy and compromise. Mom used to have me and my 4 sisters vote on which cookies were bought at the grocery store. 4 little girls raising their hands in the hope that oreos would be chosen, and me wishing for oatmeal raisin...

My Dad:
    - If something isn't right, speak up about it. And if your voice isn't heard - write a letter to the editor, call your congressman and start a website. If possible, something easy to remember. Like stupidschoolboardmembers.com
    - Tie downs are optional when you have electrical cables, telephone cords and extension cords.
    - How to create a large sign (for protest, garage sale, or because it's funny) in 1 minute or less.
    - Don't put up with crap
    - That love means protecting those you are care about, and it's not something reserved just for those you know intimately - but those that come into your path in life.

From both of them:
    -Sacrifices are sometimes necessary to make the world a better place. And it might not be comfortable...but there is always room for ice cream.
    - Money and looks are not important, character is what counts.
    - I am awesome, smart, sweet and beautiful
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    They also made me memorize hundreds of verses from the bible and learn the tax code when I was little. Seems strange but it has actually come in handy more than once.

Now there's some life skill! If I weren't already married.... :flowerforyou:
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    How to make the perfect Manhattan. They still tell me I make them better than any bartender, but I sometimes believe that this is just to get me to make them at their house.

Similar! My brother in law taught me how to make a Perfect Martini, my sister objected, but he said it was okay since I don't even like martinis lol Over 20 years later, he still swears I make the best martini he's ever had, and I still don't like them.

And my sister taught me how to laugh, even when everything seems to be going downhill, there is always something better ahead so may as well find something that makes you feel good enough to laugh about til the better times come along. She can be really silly and always makes me laugh, even when Im in the worst mood, just talking to her makes me feel 1000x better.
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I used to ask my mom if we were rich... we clearly were not. She would always say "We are rich in love" so I was taught...

You can be broke and still rich in love.

Your mom was one smart lady! :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    respect

look at today's youth!

This!! :drinker:
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My father who was not only a soldier for 20 years but had degrees in Art and Accounting taught me how to do my own taxes. (This was when you did all paper returns, no Turbotax or any of that jazz.) LOL. I still do our taxes to this day. Has been made a lot easier with the internet. Saves us a ton of money, and keeps me up on new tax laws.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    My dad taught me how to box.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    My dad taught me how to land, keep, and be promoted in a job. I haven't often had to use it, since my husband is paid enough for me to be a SAHM, but I'm thankful for the knowledge anyway.

My mom taught me how to do genealogy and trace my family history, and how to speak basic sign language even though we never knew anyone who used it.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My mom taught me to sew and cross-stitch. She is very crafty with needlework and would have taught me to knit and crochet too but I'm not coordinated enough.

My dad taught me to say thank you when someone gives you a compliment (rather than saying "oh, no I'm not" or something similar) and to ALWAYS say ma'am and sir. I'm a teacher now and it drives me up a wall when I call a student's name and he or she says, "Yeah?" or "What?" in response. I always make them try again, with "Yes ma'am" this time. (And just for the record, I do say "ma'am" and "sir" to my students, when they turn in homework, raise their hands, etc. Just because they're younger doesn't mean I shouldn't show them the same respect I want them to show me.) I live in Alabama, so that probably has something to do with it. We southerners are big on the ma'ams and sirs. :)
  • smelanie504
    Options
    Never trust a woman with a thin upper lip.