Cellulite: Please tell me the truth about it

Options
2»

Replies

• Yilsip
    Options
    I read on here somewhere that one cannot spot reduce, which I already knew, but that cutting 'bad fats' from your diet, i.e. all the dairy I eat, would aid in weight loss and cellulite reduction.
    It is hard to know who is correct and who is misguided on the public forums.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Women have body fat. You can't get rid of it. Some will always suffer cellulite. You may be able to reduce it, but sometimes you can't.

Love your body. Nobody really sees it the way you do.
  • Yilsip
    Options
    I totally get that some of us will have more body fat than others, I do. That being said, I do not dislike my body, I hate having cellulite on my thighs and booty. I am nearly 40 and married, I am here to get fit for myself, the husband is content either way :-)
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    I read on here somewhere that one cannot spot reduce, which I already knew, but that cutting 'bad fats' from your diet, i.e. all the dairy I eat, would aid in weight loss and cellulite reduction.
    Why do you feel dairy is bad fat?

Regardless of the type of cals you eat, if you are in a deficit you will lose weight. This includes fat. Strength training helps retain muscle by telling the body it is needed. This makes the body want to burn less vital(used) muscle and instead burn more fat. This is why strength training is stressed when people want to reduce body fat and not just weight.

To shrink cellulite you must lose body fat, not just weight. You can't get rid of cellulite because even though the fat that was filling the cells may be gone the cells them selves live on for something like 8 years just waiting to be filled again before they die off.

As you age connective tissue loses elastin which is what causes this tissue to tighten creating the pockets as I explained above. Unfortunately there is no proven way to correct this.

It will always be a battle you will have to fight.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Here's what scientific evidence says about cellulite:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18459514
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Its mostly genetics, so you can have a larger person with them, as well as a skinny person. Most if not all women have it to some degree, I found running and squats (along with body fat % loss) drastically reduced, I had moderate amount, and now it looks smooth ( in most lighting ), but again each body is different so what worked for me may not work for another. and id say throw out any cellulite cream! does not work

just adding for the low fat diet, fats are good for your hormone regulation, i wouldn't worry about "low-fat foods", its all about calories that make you gain weight, 3500 calories, dont worry about that untill youre using macronutrients for goals, like protein,carb,fat%
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Then hire a Registered Dietitian, or take a college course on nutrition. Or read a textbook on nutrition at your library.

As far as exercise, i'm guessing you are not following a strength training program, using heavy weights, correct? Seems to be a common thing with women who complain of cellulite.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's mainly genetic. as for strength training getting rid of it .....

screen-shot-2013-12-08-at-8-05-16-pm.png?w=529

someone should telly elisabeth akinwele that she should start training with weights

clean-3.jpg
  • Yilsip
    Options
    Agreed, this will be a lifelong issue. And thanks for making me feel better about my dairy intake, my diet is not the best so I need to make a great effort at introducing more greens. Going to grab a few light weights and begin exercising after 3 months of nearly sedentary lifestyle.
    Funny thing is I used to exercise 2-3 X per week until May when I was hospitalized with illness and tachycardia, I then stopped completely. Within 2 months I started to notice the 'wrinkles' as my child calls them and gained 5 lbs I cannot seem to shake off. Guess I was wrong for thinking it was insignificant, need to get on it stat.
  • NhrtN
    NhrtN Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I am confused as to how it cannot be completely eradicated, but again, cutting most of it will be fantastic. Do you mind sharing what exercise routine you followed?

I'm not sure if you meant me or not but I'll share anyway :). I only do home based workouts. For cardio I do high intensity interval training with jogging, boxing, or jump-roping. I do this a couple of times a week for 30 mins. I do the same schedule with strength training. I use light ankle weights and hand weights and do 14 reps of each exercise. I used to do squats but stopped because I thought my thighs were getting too muscular. I like the long and lean look. So instead I focus on isometric butt exercises and other thigh exercises to tone the cellulite danger zone.

I also do dry brushing and coffee scrubs in the shower. I don't have a lot of time so I just do the trouble areas. I agree with the person who said cellulite creams don't work. However, I do like Jergens Skin Firming lotion. It doesn't get rid of cellulite but I can feel the skin tighten back there which helps lessen the look of any dimples.

And I love dairy. I'm lactose intolerant and still have at least 2 servings a day. I remember in nursing school being told that dairy is high in estrogen. As a result it has been linked to breast cancer and is implicated in causing cellulite. Nobody really knows though. So if you like dairy, I say eat it. Just stay within the number of calories and fat grams that you are supposed to.

In regards to the picture of Elisabeth Akinwele, her legs are in the worst possible angle to be photographed in (regarding to cellulite). She still rocks though. But just know that when your legs are bent at the knees, cellulite looks the worst especially on the back of the thighs. That's why I make it a point to stand up straight when at the beach.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify:

Eating fat doesn't not make you fat.
    Cutting out fat will not magically make you lose fat.

Eating too many calories will make you fat.

This
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is due to genetics, size can just sometimes make it more visible.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Cellulite has nothing to do with dairy, unless you are slathering it on your cellulite areas and its causing an allergic reaction or inflammation, it won't affect it. Cellulite is just irregularities in the connective tissue in fatty deposits. What exactly helps to reduce it visually is up for debate, but reduction of body fat percentage will help for sure.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I began exercising regularly, doing Zumba about 4 times a week, and counting my calories, I lost about all of my cellulite. Like you, I am curvy on the bottom, with hips and thick thighs, which is where my cellulite developed. I remember being shocked last summer when standing in front of a full length mirror and checking out the backs of my thighs and butt, and nearly ALL cellulite was gone, it was smooth and firm. I am also your age and married, so it can be done!

I think exercise and cutting calories is the key. It took time though, at least 6 months before I noticed it gone. Unfortunately, I got lazy over this winter and gained some weight back, and guess what, the cellulite came back too :sad: So I am determined to get back on track to see that firm smooth look again:wink:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. I honestly cannot cut out cheese completely; I can cut ice-cream, yogurt, butter,and I do not drink or add milk to any of my drinks.
    I was confused about Cardio because I did not think it could help with celullite, I thought only weight training could do it. I am totally wrong I guess :-(

Neither cardio or weight training helps directly with cellulite, and neither does eliminating dairy. Cellulite is fat which you can gain or lose just like any other fat with a calorie deficit. It looks like it does because of the structure of the connective tissues which is mostly genetic and age related.

You are partially correct. But weight training has greatly reduced the appearance of my cellulite. Mine was WORSE after I lost weight. Now it's barely perceptible. I'm super pale so you can still see a little bit. When I tan you can't see it at all.

I agree.
    Funny this subject came up. Only today I noticed that the cellulite on my thighs has diminished and is getting better as my muscle definition increases and fat layer decreases.

A little background, I don't do any purposeful cardio other than weight lifting & I eat a carb restricted diet.

As far as the age thing goes, I discovered I had cellulite when I was 20, just after having my first child. I'm 5' tall & I weighed 116#'s at the time :huh: I didn't have it before getting preggers, I weighed 100-105#'s

:sick: I'm getting off track & pissed off as well -___-

Anyway, reduce the fat & reduce the appearance of cellulite. For some folks, this is only possible to a certain extent.

edited for clarity
  • Yilsip
    Options
    I noticed that when I began exercising regularly, doing Zumba about 4 times a week, and counting my calories, I lost about all of my cellulite. Like you, I am curvy on the bottom, with hips and thick thighs, which is where my cellulite developed. I remember being shocked last summer when standing in front of a full length mirror and checking out the backs of my thighs and butt, and nearly ALL cellulite was gone, it was smooth and firm. I am also your age and married, so it can be done!

I think exercise and cutting calories is the key. It took time though, at least 6 months before I noticed it gone. Unfortunately, I got lazy over this winter and gained some weight back, and guess what, the cellulite came back too :sad: So I am determined to get back on track to see that firm smooth look again:wink:
  • Yilsip
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate all your comments, this is a learning experience.