Papaya...what do I do with this thing?

Options
I got curious today and picked a papaya today at the store. I almost walked by it....

So I bought it. Hey, I'm only out $.99 if I hate it.

I asked the staff if it was good. It was mixed results. One of the regional managers made a disgusted face (it was actually really funny, since he looked genuinely grossed out that someone brought up the word papaya and was considering eating it), another one told me it tasted awesome if you can get past the awful smell, and another just went "yep. It's good". So I'm now concerned to unwrap it from the plastic.

1.) How should I eat this thing?
2.) Does it actually smell?
3.) If it does smell bad, should I eat it around someone I don't like?

Thanks!

Replies

• kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I would love to know more too, but unfortunately I am useless to your initial question.
  • bethyk808
    Options
    Papaya's shouldn't "smell" but you do have to get accustomed to them. You want to make sure it is not tough to the touch before opening it so you make sure it is ripe (alternately, you don't want it to be tooo soft). Cut it open long ways and there will be a lot of black seeds. Scoop out the black seeds with a spoon and throw them away. All you have to do now to eat the papaya is scoop with a spoon and enjoy!
  • Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's pretty delicious by itself! But you cut it up like melon, and you can squueze some lemon over it! If you're looking for more flavor, you can put some mexican chili powder (the kind that is used as a condiment) and still the lemon! Tastes delicious! I don't really think there's a smell besides the smell of smelling something you've never smelled before smell. You know?
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ohhh, peel it and puree it and put it in a smoothie, or broil it a bit it brings out the natural sugar. EAT THOSE SEEDS, they are soooo good for you, Just cut it up and eat that thing so yummy!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It smells a bit poopy when it's ripe. If it's soft/ripe just gently scoop out the seeds and go to town like you would an avocado. If it's firm it's edible too, just dip in a bit of soy sauce. Personally I love eating it cold from the fridge. They are loaded with fiber and if you get a good one, they are very sweet. I'm an Islander so it was a staple growing up.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    It's pretty delicious by itself! But you cut it up like melon, and you can squueze some lemon over it! If you're looking for more flavor, you can put some mexican chili powder (the kind that is used as a condiment) and still the lemon! Tastes delicious! I don't really think there's a smell besides the smell of smelling something you've never smelled before smell. You know?

^^^All of this plus you can put papaya with milk in a blender and make papaya juice (sugar to taste). Papaya is good for the digestive system. In my country we put papaya to the meat, let it marinate and is really delicious.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,426 Member
    Options
    Throw it away, nasty!

Personally, I've tried them and just... *gags*

But different strokes and all that.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I lived in the Caribbean for a few years and got to enjoy fresh papaya in the ripe and green stages. When its green, you can eat it in savory dishes, like you would make green or yellow squash, its very good sauteed with onions and butter.

When its ripe it does smell like vomit to me(sorry but its the truth). But its very good for your digestive system. You cut it open, scoop out all the seeds and slice and eat it. Or you can make a delicious papaya drink with your choice of milk in the blender. I've also had it cooked as a sauce with barbeque, kinda of sweet and savory style. If you Google it you will find so many recipes! Enjoy :drinker:
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    BTW: If it turns out you don't care for it at all you can mash it up and use it as a facial mask.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    BTW: If it turns out you don't care for it at all you can mash it up and use it as a facial mask.

This is an awesome alternative! I could probably mix it up with some leftover avocado too. Thanks! :)
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Cut it up and eat it, just remove the skin. I used to eat a whole one with granulated sugar when I was little. If you don't like the taste by itself add some honey or mix it with other fruit. It's delicious and refreshing.

You can do a shake too, remove the skin, cut into pieces and freeze it. Blend it with your preferred choice of milk and vanilla protein powder, yummy. Enjoy
    :drinker:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Cut open, sniff deeply, put piece in mouth, chew.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    I got curious today and picked a papaya today at the store. I almost walked by it....

So I bought it. Hey, I'm only out $.99 if I hate it.

I asked the staff if it was good. It was mixed results. One of the regional managers made a disgusted face (it was actually really funny, since he looked genuinely grossed out that someone brought up the word papaya and was considering eating it), another one told me it tasted awesome if you can get past the awful smell, and another just went "yep. It's good". So I'm now concerned to unwrap it from the plastic.

Thanks!
    When I eat out at a Thai or Vietnamese restaurant, paypaya salad with shrimp is a great choice. But I'm betting the papaya you got is more ripe than green. If that's the case, just scoop out the seeds and eat the rest like a cantaloupe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It is so strange to me that someone wouldn't like papaya or would think it is unusual. I would pick them straight of the tree, cut them open and eat them. I've never thought they smelled bad, unless they were overripe, then they just had an overly sweet, overripe smell. Just wash, cut in half, scoop out the seeds and eat the inside with a spoon. Don't eat the skin. I like it with a squirt of citrus or with cottage cheese in the middle.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    When I eat out at a Thai or Vietnamese restaurant, paypaya salad with shrimp is a great choice. But I'm betting the papaya you got is more ripe than green. If that's the case, just scoop out the seeds and eat the rest like a cantaloupe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Or eat the seeds. They are deliciously spicy/peppery.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was eating papaya when I saw this thread. I cut it into chunks and drizzle a little honey and lime juice on it. It's got a little funky flavor, but I like it, and it supposedly aids in digestion. :happy:
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    It has an acquired taste - you might not like the first mouthful !
  • PhoebeGrey
    Options
    Funny, I'm having some friends over from Liberia and thought to make a Paw Paw Pie which calls for Papaya (never made it before) but after this post, I'll skip it :bigsmile: