How to clean my new tattoo?

Options
Laoch_Cailin
Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
Just as the title says. I got my second tattoo yesterday. Delighted with it. But sinse its been about 15 years sinse I had my last one I've forgot how to clean one. I left the shop in a hurry because I had to get home and forgot to ask.

I took the cling film bandage off after 5hrs. Cleaned it with my hand, water and an antibacteria liquid hand soap and applied a thin layer of savlon cream. Then it stung like crazy and I wasn't so sure I did the right thing!!

Any advice would be great. TIA

Laura

p.s I've sent him a message but yet to get a response.

Replies

• Laoch_Cailin
    Options
    I've had a read through that link and alot of people who reviewed it said it was bad advice. Anyone with a tattoo tell me how they treated their tattoo?

Thanks for taking the time to post though Ump78
  • Ump78
    Ump78 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have 4. And I washed mine with soap and water, then put petroleum jelly and covered them. But that was like 20 years ago. Thing have changed.
  • NancyH66
    NancyH66 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I washed mine with a gentle soap and water, patted dry and applied A and D ointment. The goal is to keep the tattoo moisturized. From the ingredients i think that cream you used is too harsh. Treat the tattoo the same way you would a bad sunburn. Be gentle with and don't pick at it. You may not remember but it is going to scab up...this is normal. Don't pick the scabs or itch the tattoo.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Options
    Great, thank you both for the advice. Think I need to get some A&D ointment x
  • blustar8
    Options
    One tattooist recommended Savlon, then another tattooist recommended Bepanthen. I like Bepanthen better cos it smells like babies.
    The main thing is to keep it clean and dry because essentially what you have is an open wound. You also have to keep it moisturized cos as it heals and scabs it can scar, and the moisturizing will help stop that. and as above don't scratch! The itch is the healing process and scratching pulls the ink out so you'll end up with a dodgy looking tatt.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    there is this stuff called h20cean cream you can buy it many different tattoo shops or online, I used it after my tattoo and it helped a lot. when I get my next tattoo coming up soon, I'll be buying another one and I'm surprised they didn't go over after care pre tattoo. I went to Attomic tattoos and they were awesome. They made sure I knew everything about tattoo care before leaving.
  • Arachnapheria
    Arachnapheria Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Clean gently with soap and water then apply nappy rash cream. Worked for all of my tatts (no peeling or even much scabbing).
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Options
    I'll get Bepanthen later. Thanks again. This is great advice.

In all honesty we were that busy chatting I think I left before he had a chance to go over care. I have several friends who have gone to this guy over the last 18years and he is amazing.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Antibacterial soap and water. Gently pat dry. Thin layer of fragrance free lotion.

I get a new tattoo every couple years.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For the love of god, don't use Vaseline or petroleum products! I used it on mine after helpfully washing the care card in the pocket of my jeans.... :grumble: The person next to me at work insisted Vaseline was the best thing for it, and it faded it so badly I'm calling it deliberate sabotage. Had it redone since then, the tattooist made a face like :noway: when I said I'd used Vaseline on it. So if you want a nice clear tattoo, use Bepanthen or similar.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I just got my second tattoo about a month ago, for the first few days wash very gently with an antibacterial soap-I used Dial gold. pat gently do not rub. Once it is completely dry, apply a very thin layer of aquaphor ointment, do not put much. Again, rub very gently, do not cover it. Do ths 3-4 times a day. And whatever you do, do not scratch or soak it at all, it will pull the ink out. Where is it located, that makes a difference also, try not to have anything tight on it. I would love to see your new ink :flowerforyou:
    There's a thread here on showing tattoos, I put mine on there a few days ago.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I've been washing it very gently with just antibacterial soap and appling the bepanthem. It feels great today, not as sore. Looks great too.

willywonka its on my side, from my bra strap to my hip bone. Just a motherhood celtic knot and my kids names. Little horse shoe at the bottom for my husband :-)