What would you do? alcohol at work.

Options
dakotababy
dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
Just a quick perception check here. I work in the addictions field, and noticed a thing of alcohol in a co-workers locker...what would you? Talk to the person directly, bring it up with management? ahhh,...I am really worried!

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    having a bottle is circumstancial - is he drinking at work?
  • breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    I would talk to them first. Had the person had an addiction issue in the past?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I do not work the same shifts as him, he could easily be a functioning alcoholic. He very well may have had a history with addiction issues. I am fairly confident he has.
  • breesie11
    breesie11 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    I would talk to them first and if you feel it needs to go further after that, then take it to management.

There are several reasons it could be there.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Talk to him. Explain your concerns.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Talk to him first. I had someone accuse me of drinking on the job because I had a small bottle of mouthwash in my locker which I used after smoke breaks. It was really frustrating. Luckily the manager spoke with a friend of mine who was also working there to get a better picture of the situation first. My friend came to me thinking it was the funniest thing she had heard in a while. I did not share her amusement.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Definitely at least document this incident even if it is just for personal use. If you decide to talk to him first, he might tell you things you'll want to hear to not get in trouble, but then still be sneaky. At least you'll have proof later on down the line in case this does become a problem and you need to report it.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    What does "I work in the addictions field" mean? Rehab?
  • Ump78
    Ump78 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If they are a danger to themselves or others, take a step to prevent injury. In your non-hazardous industry......MYOFB.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Talk to them first. I wouldn't escalate to a superior unless their performance is affected or they are compromising someone's safety. Unless they ask for help when you talk to them it's probably best to stay out of it but let them know you are there if they need support.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, why are you in someone else's locker? Second, if you "work in addictions" meaning you work at a treatment center, or rehab, then you would have some general background on said addictions. Having spoke for the first 5 years of my recovery in treatment centers 2-3 times a week, I DO have a general back ground. With that, knowing that its not our place to tell someone else they have a problem. You said you're worried. Have you witnessed this person using alcohol on the job or endangering themselves or anyone else? You failed to mention that, so if not, you need to MYOFB.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Was it open?

If it wasn't open - who says it was for use at work? I've had alcohol in my locker before when I bought it during lunch for a date that night - doesn't mean I have a problem.

If it was open - is the person showing signs of alcohol use at work? Are they endangering others? Speak to them or speak to your manager.

Also, why were you able to see what was in their locker if you work opposite shifts?
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Definitely at least document this incident even if it is just for personal use. If you decide to talk to him first, he might tell you things you'll want to hear to not get in trouble, but then still be sneaky. At least you'll have proof later on down the line in case this does become a problem and you need to report it.

Agreed, some cell phone pics might be in order. Just for your own protection. Something like this could get turned around on you. Character defamation and slander or something like that.

Seriously? Seriously? I genuinely cannot tell if this is a joke.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

Agreed, some cell phone pics might be in order. Just for your own protection. Something like this could get turned around on you. Character defamation and slander or something like that.

Really. This thread is so over the top. Just talk to the co-worker.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options

Really. This thread is so over the top. Just talk to the co-worker.

...or maybe this is a good time to MYOB as long as it is not affecting anyone/anything. Talking to the coworker could turn into an intervention depending on how they take it.

Seriously though, if working with addicts, you and all staff need to be clean...as I am sure you are aware.

I will sign off as a person who had an addicted high-school/college-aged kid (clean now for 6 months!) and as a veteran of al-anon meetings.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I can't see how it is any of your business.
    And cell phone pictures?? Really??
    All this makes me glad I am self-employed and away from the morals police....
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I do not work the same shifts as him, he could easily be a functioning alcoholic. He very well may have had a history with addiction issues. I am fairly confident he has.

You are assuming a lot about his addiction but it does not bode well to have liquor at the workplace.

If you are a friend to this person, talk to them and tell them to take the booze home. That might just solve the problem right there.

As a former safety manager and someone who has worked closely with HR, I'm more worried about potential accidents/incidents, the company policies, the employee's job function and liability. For example: if he is a forklift operator and gets into an accident, it could get ugly in a hurry especially if an injury or worse is involved. Just talk to the person first.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Share a drink with him or her.
  • NaomiNoel21
    NaomiNoel21 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to him first!