losing weight from cardio and weights

Options
I use to lift weights as my workout but never really lost weight. I toned up but never lost any inches or pounds. Lately, I have been doing just cardio so I can get rid of the fat first, then add the weights later on, just so I know that it is muscle I am gaining instead of fat. My biggest problem area is the tummy. Should I do this differently? Has anyone had success with combining the two?

Replies

• jennylynn84
    Options
    Personally I combine the two.

My understanding, and someone that has the full blown education PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, is that if you lift weights and do strength training IN ADDITION to your cardio it prevents your body from using as much inactive muscle as fuel to fill your deficit.

Again, I might be totally wrong, this is just the impression I have. I've attempted to keep weight training a part of my regime for the entirety of my diet.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I do weights and cardio in the same workout. I've lost at least 3 inches in the last week and a half, probably more, and I've lost 1.1 pounds since last Friday.
  • femouse
    femouse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I recommend a combination of both. Lots of cardio excercises ie running and squats build muscle, so I recomend more cardio then weights if you want to drop pounds. I think for the most part it comes to down to calories in and out and cardio seems to burn more calories, but having muscle burns more calories too. : )
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Trainers at my gym have encouraged both. Do a cardio warm-up and stretching, then do your lifting and then do the cardio. I've been doing a workout basically this way for about 14 months and I've lost 12" on my waist, about 5" from my hips and I'm down 32 lbs. The best thing is don't give up, maybe change things around and up the intensity but don't give up even if the scale or your inches don't go down as quickly as you'd like.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I do both, but my cardio is pretty minimal compared to most.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I know that Jillian Michaels always incorporates strength in with cardio...as she suggests it leads to more calories burnt during the strength training and ab training.

There are some fab stomach exercises throughout the 30 day shred which you could combine together into a tummy workout?
  • amyfritz
    Options
    My degree is in Exercise Physiology and you will find varying opinions on this. I always think you should lift weights in addition to your cardio.

Here is the short answer. Strength training builds muscle. Muscle burns calories at rest, fat doesnt. Most people dont build muscle doing cardio. So to get the greatest bang for your buck, cardio and weights will help you reach your goals faster than just cardio alone.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Trainers at my gym have encouraged both. Do a cardio warm-up and stretching, then do your lifting and then do the cardio. I've been doing a workout basically this way for about 14 months and I've lost 12" on my waist, about 5" from my hips and I'm down 32 lbs. The best thing is don't give up, maybe change things around and up the intensity but don't give up even if the scale or your inches don't go down as quickly as you'd like.

This is exactly what I do.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would do both.
    If your goal is weight loss and you don't have time for both I would start off with Cardio.
    However, long term you should add in anaerobic / weights as you will build more lean muscle and burn more fat.

On my 'lift' days I will still finish up with a bit of cardio..
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi! I do both alternating days. I do dance (cardio) M-T-W, and weights T-Th-Sat. Then I rest and cheat on Sundays! I love chinese lunch after church! LOL
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The mechanism through which strength training enhances fat loss is not entirely clear (there is a lot of speculation, but nothing definitive). However almost every study that investigates the topic shows better results from doing both cardio and strength training in your routine rather than doing cardio alone, strength training alone, or diet alone.
  • afred29
    afred29 Posts: 29
    Options
    But if your just starting out doyou do cardio one day than weights the next? Or do both but giving yourself one day of rest on the weights.
  • WendiMarissa
    Options
    If anyone could help me that'd be great. I work out every day, I meet with my trainer 2 times a week. I've lost like 6 lbs. But I also like eat nothing. Some days thats ok, some days I'm starving. I should be losing more weight faster. I'm getting used to the idea that this is how my body looks, it's not much diff from before... does anyone have this problem? I've been working out like this for like 2 months. I'm 5'4" was 126-128 now I'm 120. I'm slightly uncomfortable that I'm gaining inches around my thighs and waist?! Thats never happened before, I know I'm working out a lot, but I thought everything would lean out... Is anyone having this problem? I'm trying to be patient and just see the change... I could use some insight... thanks!