Elliptical

Options
I think this has been asked before, but does anybody have issues with their toes going numb when using the elliptical? I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about or not.

Replies

• eau_de_vie
    eau_de_vie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time! Shwew, I'm glad it's not just me...I thought I was broken!
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Mine was caused by extra tight hip flexors. After a massage it goes away. Try stretching your lower back, hip flexors, and hamstrings. Ice hot after helps too.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes..this happens 2 me..only on my right foot..I owned it 2 me being to heavy...LOL
  • CJWirth09
    CJWirth09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My husband's do! I think it is ok! :laugh:
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This does happen to me every once in awhile (and I am on the elliptical every day) but I notice that if I shift my footing just a little it goes away. I don't think its anything to be too concerned about.
  • gdphilippe
    gdphilippe Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OMG I have the same problem! I thought it was just me. Sometimes I just wiggle my toes a little bit and it goes away. And it usually goes away once I'm done.

I would love to know ways to avoid this.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. Streching beforehand helps. Sometimes when it gets too bad I take off my shoes and it gets a little better. Doesn't seem to matter what shoes they are, so I think it is something about that fact that I have a high arch.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    Me too! Sneaker, fit flops doesn't matter what's on my feet.... I assume it's nothing serious :smile:
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    It happens to me and my friends. I noticed that the more it use the machine the better it gets. Its like I have to build a tolerance to it. Make sure you have good shoes. proper arch support and don't do too high of a level. Increase your time before your level of strength.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It occasionally happens to me and I usually change the direction that I am peddling for a little bit and it resolves that issue. I think its because of the movement and it pushes your foot to the front of your shoe. Changing up the direction occasionally really helps!
  • HOTMAMA210
    Options
    My toes get numb and my feet kind of cramp :/
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. Wearing comfortable footwear may help alleviate it, but what worked for me was making sure I wasn't on my toes the entire time. Balance pressure that you apply from your heals to the balls of your feet. Initially, I had to get off and stretch my legs to get the feeling back, then I got back on it.

Maintaining proper form [back straight, not slouching over], I noticed also prevented numbness.

Hopefully that helps.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    My husband and I both have that problem since we got our new elliptical with the grip balls on the pedals.
  • futureMrsOrasit
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm not alone in this! :tongue: I'll try my other shoes to see if that helps. But it could also be that I'm putting too much pressure on my toes and not having it even throughout my foot...hopefully it'll get better! :happy:
  • scd78
    scd78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mine do that too! I attributed it to new sneakers. Hoever, I was starting to get worried and thought maybe I should call the doctor. Now I know that it isn't just me!
  • 10ACGRL
    Options
    I was (am) having the same trouble with my feet. Today I tried to put more pressure on the heels rather than the ballot my foot. It seems to help if you level out the pressure on your foot.l M O.
  • rbarek
    rbarek Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also - go backwards. This helps.
  • theatr3geek
    Options
    Yup! I don't think it's anything to worry about :D
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. Wearing comfortable footwear may help alleviate it, but what worked for me was making sure I wasn't on my toes the entire time. Balance pressure that you apply from your heals to the balls of your feet. Initially, I had to get off and stretch my legs to get the feeling back, then I got back on it.

Maintaining proper form [back straight, not slouching over], I noticed also prevented numbness.

Hopefully that helps.

I too found that happening if I start staying on my tip toes. So watch, and one way to prevent it is let go of the handles and pump your arms like you are running instead. Helps set your feet better, works your core more, improves posture and balance.i
  • cjreesejr
    Options
    I would check the footwear you wear! Sounds funny but if your at a desk all day in heels or tight shoes and then all of a sudden in athletic shoes it probablly isnt the elliptical and probablly is your shoes prior? Weird question but do your feet swell at the end of the day or get discolored?